Didn't Know Which Thread to Put this in So I gave it its own topic

230407091016-02-robert-dotson-wrong-hous
WWW.CNN.COM

Authorities released body camera footage showing the moments three New Mexico police officers opened fire on a man after mistakenly responding to the wrong address for a domestic violence call. The incident left Robert Dotson dead.

This could have gone in the Hero Cop thread or the Gun violence thread... anway, Cops show up at this guy's house in the middle of the night investigating a domestic violence call. Homeowner answers the door, not realizing they are cops with gun in hand. Cops proceed to LIGHT HIM UP and kill him. His wife runs to the door and still not realizing those are cops outside, starts shooting at them HERSELF. They return fire but fortunately don't hit her. The irony? They were at the wrong house. The domestic violence call was ACROSS THE STREET. You can't make this shit up.

• Sad 1

“Obviously, that’s the worst part of this is trying to explain that,” Farmington Police Chief Steve Hebbe said during a news conference Friday night, when asked about the mistaken address.

Yeah, having to explain why you went to the wrong address is the worst thing that happened.  :silly:

• Halal 1

5 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Someone is banging on my door in the middle of the night claiming to be cops.

What people in America do:

"Open the door holding a gun."

What people in the rest of the world do:

"Call 9-1-1 and ask for help."

You see calling 911 in most areas of the country means you’ll be lucky if the cops show within an hour because cops are under no obligation whatsoever to actually provide safety

22 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Someone is banging on my door in the middle of the night claiming to be cops.

What people in America do:

"Open the door holding a gun."

What people in the rest of the world do:

"Call 9-1-1 and ask for help."

911 will ask, "is it an emergency?" and you'll say no, then you have to call the non emergency line and wait 8 minutes to an hour for someone to show up.

36 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I’m baffled by the dude answering the door armed

If you spend time on Nextdoor, you'd know that there's a non zero amount of Americans who believe they have the right and moral justification to shoot and kill kids playing ding dong ditch. There's just no way you can accomplish that unless you come to the door armed and ready to fire.

Kidding aside, I don't think there's a big leap from "I own a gun for home defense" to "I must be armed at all times in my home to achieve said home defense." I know for sure that close to a dozen people I graduated high school with in rural, northern NJ carry within their home, and I went to a relatively small school. 

• Halal 1

34 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

You see calling 911 in most areas of the country means you’ll be lucky if the cops show within an hour because cops are under no obligation whatsoever to actually provide safety

Opening the door brandishing a weapon is one of the stupidest things anyone could do if they are looking to live a long time.  Whether it is cops at the door, or a group planning a home invasion, or any other real-life situation I can think of.

Are there no windows to peek out of to assess the situation?

Like, I legitimately always look out a window when I see a person or vehicle approach my house. Even in the middle of the day or when I’m expecting somebody. 

Watching the unedited video, there is zero chance any of these officers are convicted of anything, and probably not charged. None of the officers had their weapons pointed at the guy until he took aim at one of them.

I think this is more “gun violence thread” than “hero cop thread” because it is more about the sort of stupid gun guy culture of America that creates these unique situations. I can’t imagine too many situations in which government agents just stand there with no means of a retreat while a person points a gun at them.

3 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

If you believe that pointing a gun at someone makes you safer, I don't know what to say.

In a last ditched effort to protect yourself in a very specific circumstances which rarely if ever happen, yes. This was almost one of those circumstances, and I can see why the guy thought it was. I don’t blame the guy for arming himself, but opening the door at that time of night, nope, and brandishing a weapon in general is very dumb. 

but in general no simply owning a gun is the most dangerous thing you can do

2 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

So these cops are going to prison for murder, right? And if not, someone will take the initiative and get justice vigilante style?

In America with the police unions protecting them? Lol no. 

Even if they are fired, they'll just simply move to the next county and get rehired. 

• True 1

In general every single person shot by a cop should be subject to a full and actually independent investigation. 

in general though if you do brandish a weapon at a cop they’re fully justified in shooting you. Play stupid games win stupid prizes. This is my most reactionary opinion I think. 

45 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Are there no windows to peek out of to assess the situation?

Like, I legitimately always look out a window when I see a person or vehicle approach my house. Even in the middle of the day or when I’m expecting somebody. 

This feels pretty normal to me having just watched Drugstore Cowboy. Some guy knocked on the door and both guys inside had guns pointed at the dude when they opened the door. They knew who he was and still felt he posed a threat or maybe someone else was with him.

Also if you look out a window it could give the person an advantage knowing where you are.

1 minute ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Also if you look out a window it could give the person an advantage knowing where you are.

More an advantage than OPENING THE DOOR 😂

2 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

True story, one Christmas Eve some drunk party goer and his wife were having a drunk argument outside my house, where he proceeded to start hitting her (turned out they were both drunk, her much more so). I called the cops explaining the situation. Nothing for at least a half hour. I’m not about to intervene because I’m not about to fight some drunk dude on Christmas Eve. 

I call again, lie and say the guy is black and carrying a gun. Within five minutes there were multiple cop cars at my address.

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

You have guns pointed at the door that's an advantage. Popping your head in front of a window is a disadvantage.

Awkwardly pointing the gun at the door as you open it sounds like a bad idea.

Just shoot straight through the door, never looking at who is behind it.

You're welcome.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

Watching the unedited video, there is zero chance any of these officers are convicted of anything, and probably not charged. None of the officers had their weapons pointed at the guy until he took aim at one of them.

I think this is more “gun violence thread” than “hero cop thread” because it is more about the sort of stupid gun guy culture of America that creates these unique situations. I can’t imagine too many situations in which government agents just stand there with no means of a retreat while a person points a gun at them.

Someone may be charged with something leading up to the point they arrived at the wrong house.

But, their actions at the house?  I suspect you're right. 

36 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

True story, one Christmas Eve some drunk party goer and his wife were having a drunk argument outside my house, where he proceeded to start hitting her (turned out they were both drunk, her much more so). I called the cops explaining the situation. Nothing for at least a half hour. I’m not about to intervene because I’m not about to fight some drunk dude on Christmas Eve. 

I call again, lie and say the guy is black and carrying a gun. Within five minutes there were multiple cop cars at my address.

While this strategy may result in a faster response, it's also likely to end up with them gunning down the nearest black man enroute. 

• Halal 2

10 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Someone may be charged with something leading up to the point they arrived at the wrong house.

But, their actions at the house?  I suspect you're right. 

There is literally nothing against the law about showing up at the wrong house :p 

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

There is literally nothing against the law about showing up at the wrong house :p 

If there was blatant negligence in something that happened during the process -- there is an outside chance of a 'negligence leading to death" charge.  (I don't know New Mexico law, so I don't know if it is applicable.)  But, that's all I could see.

14 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

If there was blatant negligence in something that happened during the process -- there is an outside chance of a 'negligence leading to death" charge.  (I don't know New Mexico law, so I don't know if it is applicable.)  But, that's all I could see.

Police have killed unarmed people when breaching the wrong house and faced no consequences. Why would they be charged with anything when facing an armed civilian? It can take years just to get a city to reimburse you for a kicked in door even in situations where the police clearly just had the address wrong, and that's if you even get anything. Nothing is happening to these guys, outside of maybe an apology for the department and even that is a maybe

21 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

In general every single person shot by a cop should be subject to a full and actually independent investigation. 

in general though if you do brandish a weapon at a cop they’re fully justified in shooting you. Play stupid games win stupid prizes. This is my most reactionary opinion I think. 

This is the endgame of gun ownership for defense against agents of the state.

43 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

If there was blatant negligence in something that happened during the process -- there is an outside chance of a 'negligence leading to death" charge. 

Absolutely not.

I'm not surprised the guy was shot answering the door that way. It's sad and shouldn't have happened sure.  But he has a bright ass porch light. Use it and look out the window.  Open the window and yell out.  Someone knocking on the outside of your door isn't a threat to your life that you need to bust out the door ready to draw.  I'm more confused why they opened fire on the wife.  Was she armed too or did they think she was going for the gun?  To be clear I'm not excusing the police for any of this.  They created the situation by going to the wrong house.

• Halal 1

3 hours ago, MarSolo said:

Dude, wtf