HHS Secretary on abortion pill ruling by Trump judge and on possibly ignoring it: "Everything is on the table."

congress-hhs-budget-68891.jpg
WWW.POLITICO.COM

“What you saw by that one judge in that one court in that one state — that's not America,” Xavier Becerra said.

When asked by CNN’s Dana Bash whether the Biden administration was taking off the table the possibility of recommending that the FDA ignore a ban on a medication that can be used for abortion, Becerra referred to the Supreme Court ruling that overturned a constitutional right to the procedure and said: “Everything is on the table. The president said that way back when the Dobbs decision came out. Every option is on the table.”

“First and foremost, when you turn upside down the entire FDA approval process, you’re not talking about just mifepristone,” he said. “You’re talking about every kind of drug. You’re talking about our vaccines, you’re talking about insulin, you’re talking about the new Alzheimer’s drugs that may come on.”

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) said on CNN that there were grounds for ignoring an abortion pill ban.

“The reality of our courts right now is very disturbing,” she said. “This ruling is an extreme abuse of power. It is an extraordinary example of judicial overreach.”

Ocasio-Cortez maintained that there was precedent for not following a court ruling called “agency nonacquiescence,” which the Maine Law Review defines as “the refusal by administrative agencies to follow the decisions of lower federal courts.”

“I think one of the things that we need to examine is the grounds of that ruling,” she said on Sunday. “But I do not believe that the courts have the authority over the FDA that they just asserted, and I do believe that it creates a crisis.”

ICYMI: a common abortion pill's future is in jeopardy because of a Trump judge. An Obama judge in Washington issued the opposite ruling.

mife-1-_wide-4f90043ad7cb1677fd53b087276
WWW.NPR.ORG

A federal judge in Texas stayed the FDA's approval of the drug mifepristone, while a federal judge in Washington state blocked any FDA change in access.

In Texas, U.S. District Judge Matthew Kacsmaryk ruled that the Food and Drug Administration improperly approved the abortion pill mifepristone more than 20 years ago. A coalition of anti-abortion rights groups called the Alliance for Hippocratic Medicine sued the FDA last year. The judge issued a nationwide injunction pausing the FDA's approval, which is set to take effect in seven days.

Within hours of that decision, U.S. District Judge Thomas O. Rice issued a ruling in a separate case in Washington state. That lawsuit filed by a coalition of Democratic attorneys general in 17 states and the District of Columbia sought to block the FDA from pulling the drug from the market.

Rice's decision blocks the FDA from "altering the status quo and rights as it relates to the availability of Mifepristone."

• SaysWho? changed the title to HHS Secretary on abortion pill ruling by Trump judge and on possibly ignoring it: "Everything is on the table."

I haven’t made my way through the entire ruling, but the judge makes a pretty compelling case that the FDA did not follow regulations when they made the original approval. Seems like a simple solution to just complete the approval according to the established rules for doing so.

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I haven’t made my way through the entire ruling, but the judge makes a pretty compelling case that the FDA did not follow regulations when they made the original approval. Seems like a simple solution to just complete the approval according to the established rules for doing so.

I mean, it also seems like a simple solution to not overturn a generation-old accepted approval on a technicality. If we found out that there was a small error in processing the constitutional amendment that overturned slavery, would it "make a pretty compelling case" for a judge to rule people in Florida can own slaves? I'll be honest, I'm pretty tired of people defending legal rulings on technicalities by shit judges that don't take common sense into account. This judge did this on purpose and had the ruling decided before the case was brought—and if this technicality hadn't existed, he would have found another one. The base of the ruling itself doesn't matter, because the people making these rulings (and the people appointing the people making the rulings) have their answers set out in stone from the beginning. So defending them or any of their logic doesn't do anything but give their batshit theocratic and misogynist beliefs weight. And don't give any bullshit "it's the job of the executive to make sound approvals, and the legislative to make sound laws," because again, these rulings are decided years before the person who makes them gets into a position to rule. It's all a game, and giving any weight to these rulings give credence to their end game. 

• Like 1
  • True 1
  • Halal 3

38 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Majority of Americans are still religious. Most good doctors aren’t going to let it interfere with their work. :shrug:

The particular quote is pretty benign too. I do find such expressions fairly empty though, regardless of whether they are religious or secular in nature. People have a hard time with bad news or sad situations.

14 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

The particular quote is pretty benign too. I do find such expressions fairly empty though, regardless of whether they are religious or secular in nature. People have a hard time with bad news or sad situations.

I can't think of a time I've said something is in god's hands, but I wasn't brainwashed as a child about any type of religion or spiritual mumbo-jumbo. 

3 minutes ago, Ominous said:

I can't think of a time I've said something is in god's hands, but I wasn't brainwashed as a child about any type of religion or spiritual mumbo-jumbo. 

What is so confusing about “religious or secular in nature”? 

On 4/10/2023 at 4:19 PM, sblfilms said:

I mean it'd be pretty benign if a Satanist said "it's all in Satan's hands now" as a joke (since they don't actually believe in Satan) but you bet your fucking ass it would be news for 15 months.

• True 1

4 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

I mean it'd be pretty benign if a Satanist said "it's all in Satan's hands now" as a joke (since they don't actually believe in Satan) but you bet your fucking ass it would be news for 15 months.

A satanist doctor making a joke directed at a critically ill patient’s family member with no utility but to harm would indeed be a news story.

On 4/10/2023 at 6:17 PM, Ominous said:

The amount of medical "professionals" talking about "god" is frightening. 

This is the problem. You see it as normal enough that you are offended by a Dr saying the rest is up to God. Saying a nice way of saying she will do her job and the rest is at worst up to luck. 

Not picking on you Ominous thats a valid opinion to have. It's more of an example of why nothing gets done. Our language clouds the conversations we ought to be having. 

@Jwheel86 Translating that from corporate propaganda to english. I think their main concern is that the FDA has regulatory control over drug access. The judge is setting a president that disrupts the agreed upon status quo. Like all the stuff they are worried about is stuff you can do without money but they are telling you won't happen without money. 

6 hours ago, sblfilms said:

A satanist doctor making a joke directed at a critically ill patient’s family member with no utility but to harm would indeed be a news story.

Missed the point entirely, which is par for the course.

Okay, it's a literal Satanist who believes in Satan and thinks Satan will truly help the person heal.

6 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Missed the point entirely, which is par for the course.

Draw actual analogous situations when making your points if you don’t want people to point out that your analogy is nonsense.

The 5th circuit’s order shines some additional light on the original petition that wasn’t covered in the district court’s order. Apparently the statute of limitations to challenge the original FDA approval was well past up, but the filing was timely for the changes that occurred in 2016, which is why they limited the stay to just those changes.

3 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Still no actual reply? Of course not. Because there isn't one.

What else is there to say to your hyperbole? The truth is that most people aren’t bothered by well intentioned messages even if they find the underlying notion to be false.