HHS Secretary on abortion pill ruling by Trump judge and on possibly ignoring it: "Everything is on the table."

12 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

What else is there to say to your hyperbole? The truth is that most people aren’t bothered by well intentioned messages even if they find the underlying notion to be false.

Hyperbole, lol. Okay, it's a Muslim doctor and it's all up to Allah now. The pearls would be clutched and we'd have to hear about the collapse of society and how the "arabs" have infiltrated our hospitals. There's no hyperbole, because similar shit happens all the time. Christians are the absolute fucking worst at taking well intentioned messages. 30 years of the "war on Christmas" should've clued you in to this. 

original.jpg
WWW.THEATLANTIC.COM

The holiday is becoming a less religious occasion for millions of Americans.
B3-FEDE-Santa-Hate-GG_c0-255-2200-1538_s
WWW.WASHINGTONTIMES.COM

The left hates Christmas because it hates all expressions of faith in our society. On a deeper level, however, the War on Christmas is a war on America.

Also since when the hell is "I'll try my best but it's up to luck/the easter bunny/god/allah!" a well intentioned message?!

• True 1

2 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Hyperbole, lol. Okay, it's a Muslim doctor and it's all up to Allah now. The pearls would be clutched and we'd have to hear about the collapse of society and how the "arabs" have infiltrated our hospitals. There's no hyperbole, because similar shit happens all the time. Christians are the absolute fucking worst at taking well intentioned messages. 30 years of the "war on Christmas" should've clued you in to this. 

original.jpg
WWW.THEATLANTIC.COM

The holiday is becoming a less religious occasion for millions of Americans.
B3-FEDE-Santa-Hate-GG_c0-255-2200-1538_s
WWW.WASHINGTONTIMES.COM

The left hates Christmas because it hates all expressions of faith in our society. On a deeper level, however, the War on Christmas is a war on America.

These articles don’t back up your point, but nice job making a new point that you can actually defend. Some call it goal post shifting, but it’s fine to tacitly concede and move on.

Yes, religious majorities dislike secularization of their holidays, agreed.

9 minutes ago, TUFKAK said:

I mean I’m bothered by it.

Which is fine. As you’ve also described, you are happy to be intentionally offensive to individual people, to their face, who hold religious beliefs. That is also an outlier position :p 

It can be simultaneously true that:

- Most people don't get offended at well-intended phrases, even if they disagree with the underlying premise; and

- Judeo-Christian hegemony over those phrases excludes some premises from popular consumption.

It's not a zero sum argument! Plenty of people - even the non-religious - lack offense when they hear, 'God bless you' after sneezing. A not insignificant portion of those folks would also be offended if Satan was evoked for their benefit (even if it were genuine).

• Like 2
  • Halal 1

12 minutes ago, Chris- said:

It can be simultaneously true that:

- Most people don't get offended at well-intended phrases, even if they disagree with the underlying premise; and

- Judeo-Christian hegemony over those phrases excludes some premises from popular consumption.

It's not a zero sum argument! Plenty of people - even the non-religious - lack offense when they hear, 'God bless you' after sneezing. A not insignificant portion of those folks would also be offended if Satan was evoked for their benefit (even if it were genuine).

Oh yes I agree. I find people don't accept multiple true statements that appear contradictory. I blame it on text. I have go clearly express all my thoughts to make sure there isn't some misunderstanding. I don't have a persons tone and body language to work with in addition to the words. 

Chat messages about our past leads to blocking. Phone calls with the same info lead to progress is what I found. I think people are used to fighting about the past when talking about it so my calm demeanor makes them calm so they actually want to talk. In theory. I'm 1-1-2 and the draw one might be an L. People need to feel like their's a problem to look for help. If the situation reminds them of past trauma they respond that way. 

26 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Which is fine. As you’ve also described, you are happy to be intentionally offensive to individual people, to their face, who hold religious beliefs. That is also an outlier position :p 

More of, I’m the one doing the work, I’m the one keeping you alive. Your Jewish zombie dad has nothing to do with this.

but if you’d prefer him I’ll stop managing your life support, just pray really hard.

• Halal 1

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

What else is there to say to your hyperbole? The truth is that most people aren’t bothered by well intentioned messages even if they find the underlying notion to be false.

I'm about as staunch an atheist as anyone here and I'm not really bothered. It is what it is. My mom had her mastectomy yesterday and I had coworkers and others saying they would pray for her and I just said thank you. They're being kind and I don't see a reason to get upset by it.

• Halal 2
  • Hugs 1

29 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I'm about as staunch an atheist as anyone here and I'm not really bothered. It is what it is. My mom had her mastectomy yesterday and I had coworkers and others saying they would pray for her and I just said thank you. They're being kind and I don't see a reason to get upset by it.

Hope the surgery went well! I was thinking about you and your mom on easter as I was talking with my granny about her cancer history.

17 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Hope the surgery went well! I was thinking about you and your mom on easter as I was talking with my granny about her cancer history.

It did, thank you. She elected for a bilateral and the surgeon said her lymph nodes looked good, though they’re being send to pathology per routine. She’s going home tomorrow. I’m getting ready to make the drive up to see her. 

On 4/10/2023 at 4:19 PM, sblfilms said:

The particular quote is pretty benign too. I do find such expressions fairly empty though, regardless of whether they are religious or secular in nature. People have a hard time with bad news or sad situations.

I'd argue it is infuriating because their shit religion is the reason why she almost died in the first place. It wouldn't be in gods hands if she had access to first world care. 

I'm not offended if someone says "God bless you" and I'll "pray" at my religious familes get togethers cause most of the time I don't care but I think in this particular case I'd tell them to shove their prayers up their ass. 

I think the problem I have when people say things like "God bless you" or "I'll pray for you" is just how stupid it sounds in this day and age. I have no problem with people's religious beliefs (or anything really, you do you, so long as you aren't hurting anyone) but it sounds asinine. It's just an insipid and uninspired thing to say. It is what it is. It's not like I'll say anything to them, I just say "thank you" and move on, but in my head I'm definitely rolling my eyes. It doesn't help that overall religion is a net negative from what I can tell.

• Halal 2

8 hours ago, unogueen said:

I say god help me all the fucking time doesn't mean shit but the implication. Language is drenched in history, you can't take that away. Unless you want to pave the way for a completely concrete dialect, like math.

As long as there can be sarcastic math I'm down. 

“The case could well come back to the justices once the Fifth Circuit rules, but nothing is going to change with respect to mifepristone access until and unless the court both takes the case on the merits and sides with the challengers,” said Steve Vladeck, CNN Supreme Court analyst and professor at the University of Texas School of Law. “That’s not going to happen for a long time – if ever.”

Can’t believe this guy teaches future lawyers

• Haha 1

On 4/13/2023 at 5:44 PM, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

It did, thank you. She elected for a bilateral and the surgeon said her lymph nodes looked good, though they’re being send to pathology per routine. She’s going home tomorrow. I’m getting ready to make the drive up to see her. 

I hope your mom takes it easy on recovery.  My mom got the same thing done back in November and decided that she'd shovel snow a few weeks later which had the result of me driving her to the hospital on Christmas night causing her reconstruction procedure to be delayed to... two days ago.

• True 1
  • Hugs 1