How robots are helping address the fast-food labor shortage

106964441-1634924133556-106964441-163490
WWW.CNBC.COM

Struggling to find workers and eager to relieve staff from boring, repetitive tasks, fast-food restaurant chains are adding robots to their...

Up to 82% of restaurant positions could, to some extent, be replaced by robots, according to a forecast by restaurant consultancy Aaron Allen & Associates. Automation could save U.S. fast-food restaurants more than $12 billion in annual wages, the group said.

7 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

"Struggling to find workers willing to work for slave wages, fast-food restaurants are turning to a new solution: slave robot labour."

You could say the same thing about a lot of manual labor work like warehouse , construction, agriculture, truck driving etc. Get injured and they toss you out like trash. Even teaching has been having a shortage of labor.

2 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

"Struggling to find workers willing to work for slave wages, fast-food restaurants are turning to a new solution: slave robot labour."

Incidentally, "slave robot" is in some sense redundant, because the word comes from "robota" which referred to unpaid forced labor.

• True 1
  • Halal 2

2 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

One day those slave labor robots are going to revolt. I just hope to god I'm not in the middle of ordering a double cheeseburger when it happens....

I'm in the process of bringing more automated tasks to our theaters and take some of the effectively IT tasks off the plate of the cinema managers. I've found that the generation that grew up with smartphones as their primary computing device are far less capable when it comes to more traditional computer interfaces, so it is particularly inefficient to task them with handling this stuff. I also like the idea that I can remote in to any of our sites and make changes that I'd like to see if need be.

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I'm in the process of bringing more automated tasks to our theaters and take some of the effectively IT tasks off the plate of the cinema managers. I've found that the generation that grew up with smartphones as their primary computing device are far less capable when it comes to more traditional computer interfaces, so it is particularly inefficient to task them with handling this stuff. I also like the idea that I can remote in to any of our sites and make changes that I'd like to see if need be.

Yeah, kids aren’t nerds with computers like my generation was!

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

I've found that the generation that grew up with smartphones as their primary computing device are far less capable when it comes to more traditional computer interfaces, so it is particularly inefficient to task them with handling this stuff.\

I wonder about the whole "this generation is bad with computers" phenomenon, given the number of people my age (42) who cannot find anything on their work PC if it's not on their desktop and if they accidentally close one of their ten trillion Chrome tabs, they don't know how to get it back. 

I suspect a lot of it is sampling and confirmation bias, but... I really have no idea!

36 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I wonder about the whole "this generation is bad with computers" phenomenon, given the number of people my age (42) who cannot find anything on their work PC if it's not on their desktop and if they accidentally close one of their ten trillion Chrome tabs, they don't know how to get it back. 

I suspect a lot of it is sampling and confirmation bias, but... I really have no idea!

I think it is moreso the paradigm with which you grew up using technology shifts over time. Like, most 3 year olds can use smartphones more intuitively than a 50 year old. 

Think even about the difference between a web browser on a PC vs the mobile counterparts.

How long until that one lonely person left to make sure thing are operating smoothly. Gets there junk burnt/caught/cutoff because they had nothing else to do at “work”?

also @sblfilmswhat kinda automation do your theatres run on? We had CineQ which had 3 different show options (A/B/C) and could be showtime updated from our manager offices or manually. Before managers disabled all theatre masking to be open matte We would  update the formats for each show for the week, and would open and close with foils read on our 35mm films(later digital drop for the digital theatres) 

13 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I think it is moreso the paradigm with which you grew up using technology shifts over time. Like, most 3 year olds can use smartphones more intuitively than a 50 year old. 

Think even about the difference between a web browser on a PC vs the mobile counterparts.

iPad generation vs desktops. I remember having to figure out how to open some Mario educational game on windows 3.1 or MS-Dos or whatever while my daughter has her reading and math apps easily accessible on her iPad, just has to find the right icon. 

and based on my wife’s telling at a CS magnet high school as a teacher, the younger folks even there are 50/50 in terms of computer literacy. 

Kids today don't have to figure out how to make computers work so of course they seem less inherently capable. You don't pop out knowing how to google, we have to teach them and just like teaching anything else it often has to be intentional and it takes a while to stick. It's not a "kids out of touch" situation.

Ya know the end result of capitalism is that every single job is automated or shipped overseas and we are forced to transition into the world’s largest welfare state to maintain our quality of life or just wither away into some kind of Western India but either way it’s not sustainable 

13 minutes ago, Uaarkson said:

Ya know the end result of capitalism is that every single job is automated or shipped overseas and we are forced to transition into the world’s largest welfare state to maintain our quality of life or just wither away into some kind of Western India but either way it’s not sustainable 

Isn't that the idea behind communism though?