Sony currently doing CES Keynote with focus on PSVR2 as well (GT7 VR coming to PSVR2 at launch/Project Leonardo accessibility focused controlled/Beat Saber will be on PSVR2)

SaysWho?

I might just have to dip my toe into VR this year finally. I have NEVER even tried VR EVER though and not sure it's for me. I really wanted Half Life Alex but managed to not buy a set and that's saying something. I'll throw my wallet at most anything that even sounds remotely good so I just do not know. I thought I heard that Microsoft was going to do something with VR too maybe? Anyway I'd like to have a fairly easy setup meaning the least wires the better, and I don't want to mount and cameras or whatever they are. I'll me paying attention to this and Neta/Quest 3. I don't have a Facebook account never have so that's a problem I heard if going Meta so PSVR2 is looking to check a few of the boxes in ny preliminary stage of VR interest anyways....

2 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

Man something about Gran Turismo in VR is very appealing… though I’m not sure it’s $600 appealing. 

IMO, VR is likely going to be a fad for gaming with the exception of stuff where you're inside a vehicle (or stationary, if not). Racing sims or flight sims (or combat equivalent) are amazing in VR. But if you have to walk and aim in different directions, VR controls aren't nearly as good as regular gaming.

• Halal 1

14 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

Need a comparison to PS2/PS4:

Flq_kL8acAEX6pR?format=jpg&name=large

PS4 was apparently at 35.9 million on January 3, 2016, so considering the supply issues... demand is hot.

I was in Target a few days ago and saw the Ragnarok edition in stock. Here we are two years later, and I'm still shocked to see them on store shelves.

47 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

IMO, VR is likely going to be a fad for gaming with the exception of stuff where you're inside a vehicle (or stationary, if not). Racing sims or flight sims (or combat equivalent) are amazing in VR. But if you have to walk and aim in different directions, VR controls aren't nearly as good as regular gaming.

You have to make the experience for VR. Throwing VR on a game not designed for it generally won't work well.  There are some great experiences, but the developer needs to design around the experience. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

It’s already been too long at this point with no sign of just going away or even a sign that it isn’t just getting started, to call it a fad. A lot of the most popular games are not racing or flight sims etc, it’s stuff like pistol whip, beat saber, lone echo, half life alyx, vr chat, it’s quite varied actually.

I don’t see how vr controls aren’t as good as regular gaming for aiming when in VR it’s just 1:1 perfect accuracy. Some games use traditional controls also, and use the VR to provide depth and make it more immersive  etc. 

This sounds like a very heavy personal opinion of you not wanting to move around too much and only enjoying seated vehicular experiences in VR. Which is fine, it’s just not really an indicator of anything beyond that.

• Halal 1

7 minutes ago, Ominous said:

You have to make the experience for VR. Throwing VR on a game not designed for it generally won't work well.  There are some great experiences, but the developer needs to design around the experience. 

I think adding VR to non-VR games is great... if it's just added as the floating camera in a third person game and it still controls with a controller instead of shoe-horning in first person BS. The added scale and depth is The Simpsons Kiss GIF by FOX International Channels

50 minutes ago, nublood said:

I was in Target a few days ago and saw the Ragnarok edition in stock. Here we are two years later, and I'm still shocked to see them on store shelves.

I'm still shocked when I see a Nintendo Switch with the dock actually on a store shelf. Once in a while I'll see a single Xbox on a shelf at Walmart or Target.  Still haven't seen a PS5 sitting anywhere.

19 minutes ago, stepee said:

It’s already been too long at this point with no sign of just going away or even a sign that it isn’t just getting started, to call it a fad. A lot of the most popular games are not racing or flight sims etc, it’s stuff like pistol whip, beat saber, lone echo, half life alyx, vr chat, it’s quite varied actually.

I don’t see how vr controls aren’t as good as regular gaming for aiming when in VR it’s just 1:1 perfect accuracy. Some games use traditional controls also, and use the VR to provide depth and make it more immersive  etc. 

This sounds like a very heavy personal opinion of you not wanting to move around too much and only enjoying seated vehicular experiences in VR. Which is fine, it’s just not really an indicator of anything beyond that.

Fad was the wrong word; niche is what I should have used.

• Halal 1

5 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

I'm still shocked when I see a Nintendo Switch with the dock actually on a store shelf. Once in a while I'll see a single Xbox on a shelf at Walmart or Target.  Still haven't seen a PS5 sitting anywhere.

not that I go into stores that have an electronics section very often, but when I do I generally only see the Series S and an occasional Switch/Switch OLED on shelves. 

23 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I think adding VR to non-VR games is great... if it's just added as the floating camera in a third person game and it still controls with a controller instead of shoe-horning in first person BS. The added scale and depth is The Simpsons Kiss GIF by FOX International Channels

Thank you, I wish that wouldn’t be looked down on so much, it’s fucking awesome when it’s just that. I would love more games having that as an option. Imagine some of those scenes in GOWR in VR.

• Halal 1

18 minutes ago, stepee said:

Thank you, I wish that wouldn’t be looked down on so much, it’s fucking awesome when it’s just that. I would love more games having that as an option. Imagine some of those scenes in GOWR in VR.

I wish there was a VR mod for Witcher 3 that didn't force first person. Seeing all the monsters and cities in scale would be amazing.

5 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I wish there was a VR mod for Witcher 3 that didn't force first person. Seeing all the monsters and cities in scale would be amazing.

Yeahh, I feel like I’m missing something when people downplay that type of VR. Like why wouldn’t you want to see these places in scale? Even if you don’t play the whole game that way, just visiting the places is awesome. I’d love to explore the Citadel in Mass Effect in VR.

7 minutes ago, stepee said:

Yeahh, I feel like I’m missing something when people downplay that type of VR. Like why wouldn’t you want to see these places in scale? Even if you don’t play the whole game that way, just visiting the places is awesome. I’d love to explore the Citadel in Mass Effect in VR.

Lucky Tale or whatever it was called open my eyes to it. The depth of field and scale being added to an otherwise normal platformer was amazing.

• True 1

I was kinda hoping for a bit more PSVR news at CES given the launch is so close.

I think the biggest issue with putting a VR mode in regular games is just that the screen quality has so far to go. I've enjoyed the 3rd person VR games I've tried, the sense of scale really is awesome, but at the same time the graphical fidelity hit has historically been huge. Especially now that so many games run pretty close to native 4k, the drop in clarity is hard to get over. Maybe the PSVR2 will make that gap less than it has been in my previous experience. That said, if new 3rd person games on the PS5 had a VR option, I'd 100% give it a try and maybe split my time between the two.

Mostly I just want to avoid first person VR games that rely on walking locomotion. Smooth locomotion makes me ill very quickly, arm swinging feels silly, and teleporting around a game world when you're supposed to be walking is a terrible thing for immersion. Alyx is the rare exception because of an otherwise superb experience, but I can't think of another VR game I've enjoyed where I'm in first person walking around. I desperately hope that there is a technical solution to that problem, because I'd sign up for a massive graphical downgrade and mediocre VR implementation for so many games just to experience them in VR.

2 hours ago, stepee said:

I don’t see how vr controls aren’t as good as regular gaming for aiming when in VR it’s just 1:1 perfect accuracy. 

I don't have a VR system (yet), but I do think there is a distinct possibility that aiming is harder in VR for the same reason aiming is harder in real life: there are many more degrees of freedom to get wrong than moving a cursor and you have to align the trajectory from gun to the target, vs pointing the center of your view at the target.

20 minutes ago, legend said:

I don't have a VR system (yet), but I do think there is a distinct possibility that aiming is harder in VR for the same reason aiming is harder in real life: there are many more degrees of freedom to get wrong than moving a cursor and you have to align the trajectory from gun to the target, vs pointing the center of your view at the target.

Using a mouse might be easier, as not much is easier than that. But actually aiming accurately with analog sticks without auto aim assistance is definitely more difficult imo. I’m a gamepad player, but aiming isn’t the best thing about it.

Most VR games don’t really account for that anyway, I think that’s more if it had accurate physics and it’s designed to be realistic. Usually you just point and shoot, which if you’ve ever used a wiimote; just picture that but accurate.

• Halal 1

27 minutes ago, legend said:

VR games offer aim assist afaik, also there's no gun weight or recoil. It's def not as easy as a mouse, but I don't think it's any harder than using a Wiimote.

2 hours ago, stepee said:

Using a mouse might be easier, as not much is easier than that. But actually aiming accurately with analog sticks without auto aim assistance is definitely more difficult imo. I’m a gamepad player, but aiming isn’t the best thing about it.

Most VR games don’t really account for that anyway, I think that’s more if it had accurate physics and it’s designed to be realistic. Usually you just point and shoot, which if you’ve ever used a wiimote; just picture that but accurate.

2 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

VR games offer aim assist afaik, also there's no gun weight or recoil. It's def not as easy as a mouse, but I don't think it's any harder than using a Wiimote.

I do think aim assist could level the playing field if done well. Good user interface to assist in showing where you will hit would also help.

7 minutes ago, legend said:

I do think aim assist could level the playing field if done well. Good user interface to assist in showing where you will hit would also help.

I think you just need to try some stuff :P

Aiming is one of the things that already just works great in VR. It’s not a usual complaint that it’s difficult. Moving around, especially in first person, is where it gets tricky. But that is more due to motion sickness issues they haven’t worked out yet, more so than control issues. I have no idea what the answer for that is in first person yet outside of a treadmill. 

• Halal 1

On 1/4/2023 at 8:45 PM, SaysWho? said:

Need a comparison to PS2/PS4:

Flq_kL8acAEX6pR?format=jpg&name=large

PS4 was apparently at 35.9 million on January 3, 2016, so considering the supply issues... demand is hot.

I’m in the market for a PS5, but I’m debating if I should wait for the inevitable “slim” version or not.

19 hours ago, stepee said:

I think you just need to try some stuff :P

Aiming is one of the things that already just works great in VR. It’s not a usual complaint that it’s difficult. Moving around, especially in first person, is where it gets tricky. But that is more due to motion sickness issues they haven’t worked out yet, more so than control issues. I have no idea what the answer for that is in first person yet outside of a treadmill. 

I do indeed look forward to trying more out! :) 

2 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

The Vive one comes out in March, $1.1k

Is that HTC only or is Valve still involved? Is it the same as this: 

index2-768x428.png
DOTESPORTS.COM

A job listing on the website reveals some crucial information.

After the steam deck, I feel like I’d really trust one from Valve.

29 minutes ago, stepee said:

Is that HTC only or is Valve still involved? Is it the same as this: 

index2-768x428.png
DOTESPORTS.COM

A job listing on the website reveals some crucial information.

After the steam deck, I feel like I’d really trust one from Valve.

HTC only