Feather Alert is now a thing in California and I am 🙃

It's not meant to be racist, yet everyone itt is letting out racist things.

The bill was introduced by a native american

A45.ASMDC.ORG

SACRAMENTO – Gov. Gavin Newsom today signed AB 1314 which would enlist public assistance when Indigenous people are missing under suspicious circumstances. The California Highway Patrol would activate the alert at the request of local law enforcement and it work much like an Amber Alert. AB 1314 was authored by Assemblymember James C. Ramos (D-Highland) and was one of a five-bill tribal...

Also, this issue is apparently bigger than most people realize.

• Like 1
  • True 1
  • Halal 1

16 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

It's not meant to be racist, yet everyone itt is letting out racist things.

The bill was introduced by a native american

A45.ASMDC.ORG

SACRAMENTO – Gov. Gavin Newsom today signed AB 1314 which would enlist public assistance when Indigenous people are missing under suspicious circumstances. The California Highway Patrol would activate the alert at the request of local law enforcement and it work much like an Amber Alert. AB 1314 was authored by Assemblymember James C. Ramos (D-Highland) and was one of a five-bill tribal...

Also, this issue is apparently bigger than most people realize.

Terrible name for a terrible problem. 

I think this is under reported in "mainstream" media, but if you listen to public radio you will likely have known this has been a problem for a long while know. 

Even the newest Dexter season highlighted how missing Native Americans is a big problem...that's rather mainstream I think.

I’ve never looked in to it, but do Amber/Silver/etc. alerts increase recovery rates for the affected populations over cases where alerts aren’t issued? I feel like most of the time I’m out in public and everybody gets an alert, I mostly see people silence them and move on with their day.

3 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I’ve never looked in to it, but do Amber/Silver/etc. alerts increase recovery rates for the affected populations over cases where alerts aren’t issued? I feel like most of the time I’m out in public and everybody gets an alert, I mostly see people silence them and move on with their day.

Good question. But I read every single alert I get, so I know at least someone else has to.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article263923731.html

I think if you notice it's near you and you're outside, you're like 500x more likely to at least look around, which is all it really takes.

Sending them out at 3 AM probably gets people to find out how to disable them on their phones though.

DTNNQVSWAXAH6TQ7G7VEVY4DRY.jpg
WWW.NYDAILYNEWS.COM

Thousands of New Yorkers were awoken early Wednesday morning when their cell phones began blaring because of an amber alert notifying them of a missing child.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Sending them out at 3 AM probably gets people to find out how to disable them on their phones though.

DTNNQVSWAXAH6TQ7G7VEVY4DRY.jpg
WWW.NYDAILYNEWS.COM

Thousands of New Yorkers were awoken early Wednesday morning when their cell phones began blaring because of an amber alert notifying them of a missing child.

Would be kind of a buttfucking stupid system if it didn't issue an emergency alert until people were awake. Can you imagine explaining to a parent that their missing child alert won't be sent out until 10am because it was really inconvenient of their kid to get kidnapped at 4. Minutes can literally make the difference between life or death here. Boohoo, you got woken up for 20 seconds, how will you ever fuckin' recover?

• Halal 2
  • Hugs 1

6 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Would be kind of a buttfucking stupid system if it didn't issue an emergency alert until people were awake. Can you imagine explaining to a parent that their missing child alert won't be sent out until 10am because it was really inconvenient of their kid to get kidnapped at 4. Minutes can literally make the difference between life or death here. Boohoo, you got woken up for 20 seconds, how will you ever fuckin' recover?

What does sending the alert at 3 AM do? Are people going to get out of bed and go down at 3 in the morning to go look around?

37 minutes ago, Jason said:

What does sending the alert at 3 AM do? Are people going to get out of bed and go down at 3 in the morning to go look around?

I... what? I don't- huh?? Do... do you actually think the whole world just goes to sleep at the same time? I've gotten Amber Alerts while walking around outside late at night. If anything, I bet the fact that there's less people around makes it a lot easier for those who are up to spot something fishy going on, including just looking out their damn window if they live near the area in the alert.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Jason said:

I get the spirit of what you're saying but I think Xbob is in the right here. Better to alert the people who are up and about while possibly waking up everybody else too. I think it makes it more likely for the person to be spotted, actually. Fewer people out means whatever you're looking for is going to stick out more.

49 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I thought ny was the city that never sleeps what’s the problem with shit going off at 3? IT’S NEW YORK BABY 

NY absolutely sleeps. The City that never sleeps was an advertisement from Citibank when they introduced the ATM, it never sleeps and they are Citi.

On 1/3/2023 at 12:44 PM, Jason said:

I silence my phone, so even amber alerts don’t make noise. I do have exceptions set on my phone for a few family members if they call so I hear the ringer regardless. Because if they’re calling at 3am it probably is an emergency. 

but it’s not hard to go to sleep without being disturbed by your phone. 

If someone is turning their Amber Alerts off because they happen late at night then they probably aren’t paying attention to them during the hours they are awake, either. Designing process/policy around worse-use case is kind of dumb given the criticality of this issue. 

• Halal 1

On 1/3/2023 at 11:18 AM, Greatoneshere said:

Indeed - Wind River made it a significant plot point. But I don't think mainstream sheep are too aware still.

Honestly did not have a clue that this was a thing until watching Taylor Sheridan's 'Wind River' and WOW talk about gut wrenching! Truly horrific that it is so commonplace & life can be so just disregarded because you happen to be Native, it's awful & I am glad to see legislation like this get pushed through, let's hope for a more national line of help going forward.

On 1/3/2023 at 11:39 AM, sblfilms said:

Essentially today's version of a car alarm in a packed mall lot in the 90's & early 00's.

On 1/3/2023 at 1:45 PM, TUFKAK said:

Uh, not every human being is sleeping at night?

Perpetual night owl here!

• Halal 1