Resolutions/goals for 2023?

Remarkableriots

Work on my mental/physical health. Down 40lbs from last year and would like to do the same again this year. Love to get back into reading and movie watching, which has been very little for 2+ years. Might be part of that mental health I need for relaxing. Plus I wanna start a game , fucking finish them and not take a break cause I get frustrated with it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheLeon said:

Yep, not even going to bother trying for 8k probably for another two years. This time pc gpus will be ready for it unlike last time but instead it’s the tvs themselves that are still just beyond normal consumer levels of $$$ for anything decent at 8k. That’s probably also when I finally move from 65” to 77” or something.

1. Wife wanted to give up sugar, so I’ve said I’ll support that.

2. Aim to complete one ‘job’ at home every day. Whether that’s gardening, DIY, taking something to be recycled.

3. Play at least 10 open mics 

4. Make sure the house is clean (clothes washed and dried, dishes cleaned, toys tidied away) before I leave for work.

I feel like they’re achievable to go along with my usual goals of being fit and healthy - easier now with no dessert! 

Edit: I edited my last one as I’m the kind of guy who puts the dishwasher on at night.

I might throw in a childish one and aim to beat 12 games this year. I did more reading last year and it’s a habit now, so it would be nice to actually enjoy another of my hobbies…

11 minutes ago, gamer.tv said:

1. Wife wanted to give up sugar, so I’ve said I’ll support that.

2. Aim to complete one ‘job’ at home every day. Whether that’s gardening, DIY, taking something to be recycled.

3. Play at least 10 open mics 

4. Make sure the house is clean (clothes washed and dried, dishes cleaned, toys tidied away) before bed.

I feel like they’re achievable to go along with my usual goals of being fit and healthy - easier now with no dessert! 

What would be involved giving up on sugar? Seems like you would need to make your own food. Would have to cut out all fruit because they have sugar. 

I've tried lowering my intake of sugar as much as possible and limiting myself to an occasional dessert that has sugar.

That's a good list!

9 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:

What would be involved giving up on sugar? Seems like you would need to make your own food. Would have to cut out all fruit because they have sugar. 

I've tried lowering my intake of sugar as much as possible and limiting myself to an occasional dessert that has sugar.

That's a good list!

O should say ‘added sugar’ so fruit is OK being natural, same for honey. We make all our food anyway so that’s not tricky. It’s mainly a way to prevent sweets and chocolate being a thing.

• Like 1

* Hit my target weight by the end of March and maintain fitness discipline going forward

* Take my son sledding as much as possible this Winter

* Take my wife on a trip...somewhere. 

* Manage my stress better than I did in 2022

* Finish the NEH project

* Get back into Fencing/Tia Chi 

• Like 2

On 1/3/2023 at 7:02 AM, Ominous said:

I'm going to try and workout more. The only problem with that is that the gym is crazy busy for the next week or two from all the people that are doing the same thing.

This is the reason I keep my workout to running and weight/cardo activities where I can use a personal set of free weights and a bench. Having to go to a public gym to workout is just the extra detraction I need to end up skipping workouts and then ultimately dropping out of my fitness routine all together. 

18 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

This is the reason I keep my workout to running and weight/cardo activities where I can use a personal set of free weights and a bench. Having to go to a public gym to workout is just the extra detraction I need to end up skipping workouts and then ultimately dropping out of my fitness routine all together. 

Yea, I tend to run outside, but I do like to use a few different machines or hit the treadmill if it's cold and raining.

• Halal 1

7 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

That's what happened to me. Before when I lost the weight, I lived in an apartment that had a gym. That wasn't hard because I could walk there in 5 minutes. Unfortunately, I hurt my ankle badly, and it interrupted my routine. I gained weight while healing up, which took forever.

The reason it took so long was because I couldn't miss work, and going to work required walking, which I limped to, and standing a lot at the convenience store.

I moved to two other apartments without a gym, and that didn't help. So I stopped working out. The more weight I gained, the less I felt comfortable working out around other people.

• Halal 1

I got pretty lucky with my gym. It’s small, but it’s hidden away inside a parking garage, which might be the reason it’s never busy. And I chose this one because it’s barely out of the way from my work commute. If I had to travel like two more minutes to get to a gym, I would never go. 

6 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I like having my own shit. Have basically a full gym that takes up half the garage. Ill take that over dealing with the absolute idiots. Ive spent 20 years going to gyms and I just cant deal with the idiots anymore. Machine campers, treadmill walkers that go for 90 minutes, people that have their  heads buried in their phones as they walk and expect me to move for them, the try hards, etc. I couldnt fathom going to a gym in 2023 with the amount of people that record their workouts by setting up tripods at every bench, machine or rack. Nor do I care to see every chick wearing pants that go up the crack of their asshole and get pissed if you accidentally stare down at them.  The gym isnt the gym anymore. The camaraderie is gone and its full of "influencers" 

• Halal 1

44 minutes ago, SmugPrick said:

I like having my own shit. Have basically a full gym that takes up half the garage. Ill take that over dealing with the absolute idiots. Ive spent 20 years going to gyms and I just cant deal with the idiots anymore. Machine campers, treadmill walkers that go for 90 minutes, people that have their  heads buried in their phones as they walk and expect me to move for them, the try hards, etc. I couldnt fathom going to a gym in 2023 with the amount of people that record their workouts by setting up tripods at every bench, machine or rack. Nor do I care to see every chick wearing pants that go up the crack of their asshole and get pissed if you accidentally stare down at them.  The gym isnt the gym anymore. The camaraderie is gone and its full of "influencers" 

Honestly, I super missed the space of the gym during lockdown. Had access to a fully loaded private gym but as soon as the gyms were open I was back. It’s why I refuse to create a home gym.