Nintendo Switch cloud save data disappears if you cancel subscription. Downloadable NES games require weekly online check-ins to play offline.

Jason

None of this bothers me.

I've never backed up my saves for any console ever, and I accept my fate if anything happens. Having old saves on the cloud is pointless anyway (if you stopped subscribing). Nintendo should automatically back up everyone, then charge a subscription fee if you need access. 

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, ALIEN-gunner said:

All of this crap is why they're only charging $20 for it. Or $35 if you plan to have more than one(8) account go online on the system. 

All of this crap is still worse than what the Wii U did online for free.

... Or Valve.  But I guess people have grown accustomed to turning a blind eye there.

1 hour ago, JosephManderley said:

I don't get the issue?  If you are paying for online, I would assume that you would go online once a week?  Even if you are on a trip, how hard is it to tether to your phone, or find a WiFi hot-spot once in 7 days?

I think you most of all would understand something like this. Maybe, someone cant afford the online or to have the switch. They sell their switch, come back a couple months later wanting to continue their game from the cloud and it's been deleted because... Nintendo decided to be shitty? ?‍♀️

3 hours ago, JosephManderley said:

I don't get the issue?  If you are paying for online, I would assume that you would go online once a week?  Even if you are on a trip, how hard is it to tether to your phone, or find a WiFi hot-spot once in 7 days?

So you have no problem with your save being deleted if you discontinue service? That’s what most people are upset with. 

4 hours ago, TheLeon said:

Whenever the idea of regular internet checks comes up, there's always that one guy that's stationed on a nuclear sub and can't play his games 'cuz he can't get online. This is extra sad because the Switch is otherwise the perfect system for that guy! 

If he wants new games portably, then sure, Switch is perfect, and still is.

If this is all about playing retro games on the go, the 3DS is a better option.  Much better back catalog in its Virtual Console.

If he's just sore about being left out of the NES library ... a (hacked) NES classic is the way to go.  It's not like he'll be playing online anyways.

2 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

So you have no problem with your save being deleted if you discontinue service? That’s what most people are upset with. 

They've only said that they won't hold onto it indefinitely.  If I'm not mistaken, PSN+ deletes cloud saves after 6 months w/o a subscription.  Nintendo hasn't given a timeframe.

"We are unable to guarantee that cloud save data will be retained after an extended period of time from when your membership is ended. However, you can continue to use the save data that is saved to your system memory." - Nintendo's FAQ

2 hours ago, Stickey said:

When Microsoft announce something similar the pitchforks were out. Now that Nintendo does it, it's a resounding "aww man". 

Might want to take another look at reactions in this thread. 

I don't think Microsoft has announced something similar.  Games Pass / GWG requires a digital handshake afaik, and cloud storage is free.

8 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

They've only said that they won't hold onto it indefinitely.  If I'm not mistaken, PSN+ deletes cloud saves after 6 months w/o a subscription.  Nintendo hasn't given a timeframe.

"We are unable to guarantee that cloud save data will be retained after an extended period of time from when your membership is ended. However, you can continue to use the save data that is saved to your system memory." - Nintendo's FAQ

I don't think Microsoft has announced something similar.  Games Pass / GWG requires a digital handshake afaik, and cloud storage is free.

Did they change it? Because:

After my Nintendo Switch Online subscription expires, will my Save Data Cloud files and Nintendo Entertainment System – Nintendo Switch Online save data be erased?

Save data stored with Save Data Cloud cannot be kept outside of the duration of your Nintendo Switch Online membership. Nintendo Entertainment System – Nintendo Switch Online also uses the Save Data Cloud, so the same applies. However, if you keep the Nintendo Entertainment System – Nintendo Switch Online save data saved locally on your Nintendo Switch console, then you can use it again if you purchase another membership.

24 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

I didnt see any refund receipts. Or anyone saying they are not buying one. All I see is "darn it". 

16 minutes ago, Stickey said:

I didnt see any refund receipts. Or anyone saying they are not buying one. All I see is "darn it". 

... Are you trying to compare this to the lead up to the Xbox One's launch?

Locking out a subscription library of NES games after a week of no internet is very different than always-online DRM'ing the whole console, retail disks included.

1 hour ago, Paperclyp said:

Did they change it? Because:

After my Nintendo Switch Online subscription expires, will my Save Data Cloud files and Nintendo Entertainment System – Nintendo Switch Online save data be erased?

Save data stored with Save Data Cloud cannot be kept outside of the duration of your Nintendo Switch Online membership. Nintendo Entertainment System – Nintendo Switch Online also uses the Save Data Cloud, so the same applies. However, if you keep the Nintendo Entertainment System – Nintendo Switch Online save data saved locally on your Nintendo Switch console, then you can use it again if you purchase another membership.

Yes, they did.  Or rather, clarified:  You can't keep it (ie: recover it) without resubscribing.  But it can be recovered before they erase it on their end.  They'll keep it for a 'time' after your subscription ends.  How long that is would be anyone's guess.

5 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I think you most of all would understand something like this. Maybe, someone cant afford the online or to have the switch. They sell their switch, come back a couple months later wanting to continue their game from the cloud and it's been deleted because... Nintendo decided to be shitty? ?‍♀️

Ah, I must admit I skipped over that aspect when I was reading and focused on the NES game part. 

Yes, you are right.  I would hope Nintendo would guarantee to keep cloud saves for a minimum fixed period even after a subscription expires. 

19 minutes ago, JosephManderley said:

Yes, you are right.  I would hope Nintendo would guarantee to keep cloud saves for a minimum fixed period even after a subscription expires. 

That's the real issue from my understanding.  They've given no fixed period.  They aren't saying how long.  Better resubscribe ASAP since you'll be in the dark!

15 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Yeah, see, like, maybe if you could back up your saves on an SD card or External HDD or something, this wouldn't be that big of a deal. 

This too - but it's only $20! :silly:

1 hour ago, crispy4000 said:

Yes, they did.  Or rather, clarified:  You can't keep it (ie: recover it) without resubscribing.  But it can be recovered before they erase it on their end.  They'll keep it for a 'time' after your subscription ends.  How long that is would be anyone's guess.

Clarified is kind when what they originally said is straight up they’re gone when your subscription lapses lol. 

But that is good! I can live with that. 

2 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Locking out a subscription library of NES games after a week of no internet is very different than always-online DRM'ing the whole console, retail disks included.

The amount of security to play 30 year old games is pretty stupid though.