What's with the Elon hate around here, do none of you poors have a Tesla?

Vitalsign

18 hours ago, SoberChef said:

OK but what has he done to me or for me personally? Not a damn thing so I could give a shit. Those types of high functioning individuals are a bit of an egotistical megalomaniac yet their genius does things that no one else can so its just another series of pros/cons.

Dude, he's not Tony Stark no matter how hard he wants people to believe he is. What next, you're gonna tell me Donald Trump is a brilliant business man and pulled himself up by his bootstraps?

56 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

Take your pick: let geniuses be assholes or don’t have electric cars because that is something that he invented and perfected also going into space you ever seen that before? 

See the above. He didn't invent shit. The company he runs did. Bill Gates didn't "Invent" the Xbox either.

• Halal 1

5 hours ago, SuperSpreader said:

I've been in a few Teslas. I don't get it, like, for what you're getting it just doesn't seem worth it? A lot of the materials feel like a cheap rental. I'm interested in electric for sure but I don't get the love for the design.

Do they have deal with Uber or something? I'm getting a lot of Uber rides in Teslas these days.

If you think Elon Musk is a genius, I have to imagine that you've never worked with anyone who actually is a brilliant engineer or scientist. I also have to imagine you don't actually know much about his history of shit like buying Tesla after it already existed and putting into a lawsuit settlement years later that he gets to call himself a founder even though he wasn't.

• Like 1
  • Halal 4

47 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Do they have deal with Uber or something? I'm getting a lot of Uber rides in Teslas these days.

I also got an Uber from a Tesla yesterday and I asked the driver about it. He said that he was actually renting the Tesla specifically in order to do Uber. We didn't go any more into detail than that but a deal with Uber or a deal with a rental company would make sense. 

36 minutes ago, legend said:

I also have to imagine you don't actually know much about his history of shit like buying Tesla after it already existed

I’ve noticed you make note of this very regularly, but this is a pretty clear “true, but missing context” claim. The company came into existence in July of 2003 and Musk became the largest shareholder in the company in February 2004. Prior to Musk taking over as CEO in 2008, the company hadn’t shipped a single product. Prior to launch of their first car, Musk by himself had pumped nearly 40% of all investment dollars into the business.

Tesla in February 2004 was essentially just a name and a couple of guys with some broad ideas.

I feel the say way about Musk as I do Trump. I'm more annoyed about hearing how everyone hates the guy than I am about the actual guy. But at least with trump I was able to help vote him out while there is voting Musk out of the thoughts of people on the internet. Hearing the praise ain't any better, but I don't really see that side of things except for when people who don't like them go on to post shit about others praising them to then show how stupid they are. 

Just like with Trump, I hope people who don't like Musk get what they want so I hear about it, on the internet, less. 

37 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I’ve noticed you make note of this very regularly, but this is a pretty clear “true, but missing context” claim. The company came into existence in July of 2003 and Musk became the largest shareholder in the company in February 2004. Prior to Musk taking over as CEO in 2008, the company hadn’t shipped a single product. Prior to launch of their first car, Musk by himself had pumped nearly 40% of all investment dollars into the business.

Tesla in February 2004 was essentially just a name and a couple of guys with some broad ideas.

What do you think that context means in terms of him being a genius who invents things no one else can?

27 minutes ago, stepee said:

I believe legend is arguing the genius inventor facade not the investing money into things part, he obviously does that.

I don't think they're mutually exclusive things to be clear, but his history is not one of being a great inventor. He didn't pioneer the ideas of Tesla and its engineering. At best, you can argue it's evidence of him being a good investor.

My most positive opinion of Musk is he might be good at managing logistics.

Just now, legend said:

What do you think that context means in terms of him being a genius who invents things no one else can?

They had no product when he came on BORs the first year the company existed, the first product Tesla delivered was lead by Musk by all accounts. Genius or whatever descriptors people want to use are neither here nor there to me. My point to you is that you keep talking about him buying Tesla as though it was like his Twitter acquisition, where there is a business with products, customers, and revenue.

Your insulation is rather clear, that Musk simply bought his way into the electric car manufacturing business, when he was in fact the project leader for the first product (the roadster) the company ever delivered. 

You’re also altering the argument you made in the post I quoted.

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Dude, he's not Tony Stark no matter how hard he wants people to believe he is. What next, you're gonna tell me Donald Trump is a brilliant business man and pulled himself up by his bootstraps?

See the above. He didn't invent shit. The company he runs did. Bill Gates didn't "Invent" the Xbox either.

Oh boy I really thought the sarcasm would come through on my post. :lol:

• Haha 3
  • Hugs 1

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

They had no product when he came on BORs the first year the company existed, the first product Tesla delivered was lead by Musk by all accounts. Genius or whatever descriptors people want to use are neither here nor there to me. My point to you is that you keep talking about him buying Tesla as though it was like his Twitter acquisition, where there is a business with products, customers, and revenue.

You think that because Musk invested in the company and that because it took a some years before they had a product to deliver, that that indicates that he's a genius engineer/scientist? Are you under the impression that a brand new car company working on electric car tech that didn't exist in the mainstream should have had a fully working car in fewer years than they did and that Musk eventually pushing people out (their words) and then delivering a product is evidence that he saved the engineering with his brilliant ideas?

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

You’re also altering the argument you made in the post I quoted.

No I'm not. The very first thing I said in my post that you quoted (though you snipped this bit) was

If you think Elon Musk is a genius, I have to imagine that you've never worked with anyone who actually is a brilliant engineer or scientist.

I'm not sure how you think I was talking about anything other than people's beliefs that he's this genius engineer/scientist. There simply isn't any evidence of that, and in fact the things we do know about him reveals he doesn't actually know all that much, but he certainly likes to think he does.

EDIT: Let me give you a little more context about where I'm coming from. Back when Elon didn't constantly insert himself into the limelight, I was duped into believing that he was an excellent engineer pushing boundaries, much like many other significant engineers started doing things in their garage and worked their way out. Maybe not a "genius" but I certainly thought he was talented.

But then he started talking a lot more publicly (or at least getting more attention) and the stuff he said was not inspiring. Then he started talking about AI a lot more, and from that vantage I could be absolutely certain that he was full of shit. But he still talked like he's some expert on the matter. Increasingly, the more he spoke about anything I knew anything about, the more I wanted to scream into a pillow. Then you have his continual spiral into being a massive fucking cunt on top. And then you start learning about his history not actually being impressive at all.

The man is fucking charlatan who is only getting worse and more people need to be aware of it. If someone hasn't paid attention to him, I can understand still being under the illusion that he's some impressive engineer. I really hope to wake those people up. And if someone has been paying attention, but still believe that, then they're fucking mad and as bad a red hat.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dodger said:

It is funny that this board is basically six figure earning liberals who are completely out of touch with the people they supposedly champion while somehow thinking rich people work like two hours a week and got there by accident.

I think there's a marked difference between thinking Musk handles logistics as a CEO very well and thinking Musk is a brilliant genius-level inventor/engineer.

That said, I do find it amusing that Musk keeps blocking people that question how much work he has to do as a CEO considering he's running three different companies in three very different markets. Elon "I work 120 a week" Musk found room in that remaining 48hr/wk to run Twitter.

I think not understanding the difference between accident and design is probably the first problem here.

I do love the idea that to support the less well off one must worship billionaires.

Y’all need to stop being out of touch and just be dicks to everyone and give as much as possible to a very select few. You forgot that’s what REAL workers want. Also I don’t know if anyone is a janitor here but btw that is a trash position and you are essentially worthless scum.

19 hours ago, Dodger said:

It is funny that this board is basically six figure earning liberals who are completely out of touch with the people they supposedly champion while somehow thinking rich people work like two hours a week and got there by accident.

Anyone who’s been making a six figure salary for long enough has seen countless executives who are significantly more out of touch than you’re assuming the posters here are, has seen countless CEOs, Presidents, and VPs who have been Peter principled years ago, has seen so many people in upper management “work 90 hours a week” solely because they don’t trust the people below them and are compelled to micromanage to make themselves look busy, etc., etc., etc.

That’s not to say there aren’t brilliant CEOs, execs that aren’t competent, and managers that don’t suck. But Elon is obviously out of his depth as an intellectual, engineer, and executive. 

• Like 1
  • Halal 2

On 11/3/2022 at 2:41 PM, Vitalsign said:

I got a Performance Model 3 in 2019 and I don't think I'll ever own a non Tesla again. The car is still a pure joy to drive and I look forward to every red light and 0-60 feels like a jet plane taking off.

I smoke teslas all day in my GTR