Update: 11th Circuit Appeals Court "sacks" MAL Special Master

14 minutes ago, ThreePi said:

Ken and Renato are like the two level-headed Twitter law dudes who always throw cold water on exciting news. So seeing them both kind of throw their hands up in confusion makes this feel extra-spicy.

I mean, you definately get dueling impressions on this.

You hear there's a raid and you think that must be a big fricking deal.

Then you hear it's about the classified docs from that story from months ago that barely got any traction. Coupled with Trump's penchant for slipping out of consequences I think one is inclined to then think this is not THAT big of a deal. After all, there was and has been little talk of anything in this classified docs case that suggested much criminality....certainly not compared to all the other shit we know/suspect he did.

But after that initial reaction I think you then have to come back around to the inevitable conclusion that something here is a big fricking deal. The FBI does not pull off this raid unless they think something is a big deal and by doing it they can prove it's a big deal. 

I remember discussing the classified docs case with someone a while back and we immediately went to talking about the hypocrisy of Hillary's emails, but I think we both kind of assumed this was a crime of ignorance by Trump. Then we kind if looked at each other and was like....yeah, but what if he was, actually selling secrets to other countries. A crazy thought, and I don't think much, if any, reporting at the time went there as far as speculation. If it were actually revealed that Trump was paying off his Russian debt by giving Putin state secrets I think I would be physically incapable of saying any words to a conservative the rest of my life other than  "I fucking told you so!".

• True 1

What would suck is if we never actually get to learn exactly what classified documents were being searched for today because they were so highly classified.  How would a trial work under those types of circumstances?  Could the prosecution even talk about what was in these documents?

2 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

The right is apoplectic and is downright dangerous

I still blame the rightwing media much more than the politicians.

They are spineless cowards with no integrity, but they have little in the way of actual influence anymore. They are riding the tiger.

Do you know what happens to an elected Republican politician if they come and and tell the truth about Donald Trump? They become Liz Cheney and they ain't a Republican or an elected politician no more.

6 minutes ago, CayceG said:

I am more than a little concerned about the right wing reaction to this. 

If the proverbial bandaid has to be ripped off at some point probably better now than when Trump is back in the White House.

I cringe when I hear people talk about another Civil War because I think few appreciate just how horrific it would be.....but a rightwing reaction anywhere short of that is likely just going to reflect poorly on them. 

If they have a Jan. 6th on steroid level temper tantrum it's probably just going to turn even more people against them.

At the end of the day, what will hopefully save us from full blown warfare is not respect for life or civic pride....it's that most Americans are too lazy to have an appetite for large scale bloodshed on our own soil.

• True 2
  • Halal 2

10 minutes ago, CayceG said:

I am more than a little concerned about the right wing reaction to this. 

It’s terrifying. The fact that the rhetoric is so quick too. The media especially, they obviously know NOTHING right now yet they are practically trying to rally the troops to take over the country.

Just now, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Andrew over at the Opening Arguments podcast did a deep dive a few years back on examining almost all instances of when and when not these cases were prosecuted.

He made a pretty convincing case that the deciding factor for whether a prosecution was pursued in these cases was how intentional such mishandling was. How much the person doing the mishandling knew they were mishandling the documents at the time, when and if they figured out they were, and what they did when they found out they were.