Dragon's Dogma II (PC/PS5/Xbox Series) - Information Thread, update (04/19): planned fixes for next update detailed

RGaU7gLrnL8AzwxqxwmJTd-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

They're really doing it.

"Sorry to have kept you waiting!" Itsuno said while dramatically unzipping his sweatshirt to reveal a Dragon's Dogma 2 logo. "Everyone in the development team is hard at work creating a game that we hope you will enjoy. Please look forward to it!"

Just now, best3444 said:

Was the first one good? I typed it in at metacritic and nothing popped up.

It is good. I like it a lot, but it definitely isn't as good as fans, including me, make it seem.

3 minutes ago, Dre801 said:

now DD fans can stop pining for it

no we can't

it isn't in our hands yet 

until then it isn't real 

• Halal 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Dragon's Dogma II officially announced...and absolutely nothing else at all
11 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

Yes, it’s one of my favorite games from its generation. I’m surprised that you never played it. It’s a third person open world dark fantasy action RPG with really good combat.

I never played it but I was only slightly aware/interested in it at its release. I'll YouTube it.

2 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

It was a PS3 game but received ports to all the last gen consoles and switch and has PC version. 

I swear I thought there was a medieval fantasy game that was an early PS4/One game that everyone thought was a graphical showcase, and couldn't wait to come out. Maybe I'm thinking of a cancelled game. This is going to bug me now lol. 

48 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

It’s deeply flawed but has some awesome ideas. 

How is it deeply flawed? It’s not perfect and could definitely be better in some areas, but I don’t feel that it’s deeply flawed.

1 minute ago, Paperclyp said:

It was a PS3 game but received ports to all the last gen consoles and switch and has PC version. 

It was also on Xbox 360, that’s the version that I played and I still have my copy. The PS4 version is currently on sale for $4.79 digitally, and I’m tempted to buy it for that price despite having it physically for Xbox 360.

3 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

How is it deeply flawed? It’s not perfect and could definitely be better in some areas, but I don’t feel that it’s deeply flawed.

Archaic quest tracking and guidance, which in small doses can be refreshing but in DD crosses over into annoying; combat situations that can be unwinnable with pretty big consequences if you haven’t been save scumming; under-explained mechanics; repetitive travel mechanics are a few that come to mind after not playing it in 3-4 years. 

17 minutes ago, Brick said:

I swear I thought there was a medieval fantasy game that was an early PS4/One game that everyone thought was a graphical showcase, and couldn't wait to come out. Maybe I'm thinking of a cancelled game. This is going to bug me now lol. 

Spoiler

• Halal 1

13 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

Archaic quest tracking and guidance, which in small doses can be refreshing but in DD crosses over into annoying; combat situations that can be unwinnable with pretty big consequences if you haven’t been save scumming; under-explained mechanics; repetitive travel mechanics are a few that come to mind after not playing it in 3-4 years. 

I haven’t played it since it originally came out 10 years ago, so I’m sure that I would notice more of its flaws now. I’ve been getting in the mood to play it again, so perhaps I will soon.

5 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

I haven’t played it since it originally came out 10 years ago, so I’m sure that I would notice more of its flaws now. I’ve been getting in the mood to play it again, so perhaps I will soon.

I think maybe you can’t even save scum actually… I think it allows one game save and if you want to start a new game you have to delete your old game. 

2 hours ago, Phaseknox said:

Yes, it’s one of my favorite games from its generation. I’m surprised that you never played it. It’s a third person open world dark fantasy action RPG with really good combat.

It's probably got some of the BEST combat in the genre. I aboslutely loved the first game so much that even after it ate my save, I started over from the beginining anf STILL beat it. I was 50 hours in at the time. Guess this gives me a reason to beat Dark Arisen at some point.

• Halal 1

Finally an announcement from this "E3" season that gets me excited. The original is one of my favorite games. I put over a hundred hours in the original release, a whole bunch more in Dark Arisen and then put in over a hundred hours more in the PC version once it came out.

• Halal 2

5 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Enemies are in the same place in Elden Ring too :shrug:

That doesn’t mean that’s a good thing. I would probably much rather explore the ER overworld if the enemies were more randomized and maybe if they leveled a bit even (though that could backfire, too). But ER mitigates that repetition with quick travel spots all over the place.  Part of the appeal people find in DD is it does make you travel its world, but when that world is static other than day / night changes its much less interesting. 

I do like the placement of ER enemies in its traditional levels because the game is designed in that way to have you learn with that repetition. I don’t think that works as well in the overworld. 

Not to go back and forth on this but you DO eventually unlock Fast Travel in Dragon's Dogma. It's just a consumable like in Horizon Zero Dawn and you have to set up fast travel points in the world so it's not automatic. The game is by no means perfect, but like a lot of other games, a lot of its flaws are either overstated or boil down to a lack of understanding how the game works. To be honest, I though Elden Ring borrowed a lot of elements from Dragon's Dogma and said so when I first started playing it in the Elden Ring thread. 

That said, I DID go back and start a game recently and while the gameplay is still top notch, the graphics definitely show their age. If folks can get past that and don't mind a non linear,  non traditional narrative (also like Elden Ring) there's a gem of a game here. There's some great combat, some really fun boss and mini boss fights and a unique system with the pawns. The game also has a great loot system where you can really get creative with the look of your main character and main pawn. This is SUCH an underrated game that I'm glad is getting a sequel. The Netflix anime wasn't bad either.

4 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Hmm, all this talk makes me want to try it.  Just picked it up in the Capcom Humble Bundle.

Random question:  Should I play it instead of Witcher 2 if I'm deciding between them? Or MH World?

Graphically Wither 2 probably holds up better. Depends on what kind of experience you're looking for to be honest. Dragon's Dogma is kind of tough early on but if you're willing to invest some time in it to understand its systems, which really aren't that hard to understand, its a very fun game. One of my favs in the last ten years. I love the Witcher 2 as well though and have replayed that multiple times as well. No opinion on Minster Hunter though... couldn't get into that game.

43 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Not to go back and forth on this but you DO eventually unlock Fast Travel in Dragon's Dogma. It's just a consumable like in Horizon Zero Dawn and you have to set up fast travel points in the world so it's not automatic. The game is by no means perfect, but like a lot of other games, a lot of its flaws are either overstated or boil down to a lack of understanding how the game works. To be honest, I though Elden Ring borrowed a lot of elements from Dragon's Dogma and said so when I first started playing it in the Elden Ring thread. 

That said, I DID go back and start a game recently and while the gameplay is still top notch, the graphics definitely show their age. If folks can get past that and don't mind a non linear,  non traditional narrative (also like Elden Ring) there's a gem of a game here. There's some great combat, some really fun boss and mini boss fights and a unique system with the pawns. The game also has a great loot system where you can really get creative with the look of your main character and main pawn. This is SUCH an underrated game that I'm glad is getting a sequel. The Netflix anime wasn't bad either.

Im nitpicking the game to some degree, but for me the flaws are not overblown, they kept me from completing it with frustration boiling over to the point where I didn’t want to deal with it anymore. I think the people who love the game really really love it and they actually underplay the flaws of the game, just my two cents. 

That being said I see the potential and really want to like it, so a sequel with maybe some modern trappings has me pretty stoked. 

42 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Random question:  Should I play it instead of Witcher 2 if I'm deciding between them?

Well, the gameplay is leagues better in DD. It is just way more fun. Story is pretty shit tho but it almost doesn't matter. 

• True 1