What’s the best live music show you’ve ever seen?

Dodger

Rammstein sounds dope.

Best concerts I've ever seen, in no particular order:

My Chemical Romance

Body Count

Avenged sevenfold c. 2005

Dropkick Murphys

Foo Fighters

Zedd (I was on a LOT of drugs)

Infected Mushroom (drugs)

Gary Clark Jr (only gig I've worked where I wish I wasn't working, he was just exuding sex the entire time)

I want to go to Europe and see Sabaton. I'm not necessarily the biggest fan of their music, but their shows look dope as fuck

Foo fighters are a great time and the first time I saw them Gary Clark Jr opened for them and he was pretty good too.

Devin Townsend at the Brooklyn Bowl was amazing. He came and threw a ball next to me. I’m pretty sure I saw Chris Jericho there too amd I know he was there because he had Devin on his podcast there in Vegas that week.

Also Chainsmokers. Again, drugs. It was kind of before they went all poppy. They were still playing hard house music, like the kind you stomp to. Their show was sick, though. I was also on enough ecstasy to kill your grandma.

I don't know, I spent most of my 20s either fucked up going to shows or bartending shows.

1 minute ago, Dodger said:

Foo fighters are a great time and the first time I saw them Gary Clark Jr opened for them and he was pretty good too.

Devin Townsend at the Brooklyn Bowl was amazing. He came and threw a ball next to me. I’m pretty sure I saw Chris Jericho there too amd I know he was there because he had Devin on his podcast there in Vegas that week.

I would LOVE to see Devin Townsend. I bet he throws a great show. The guy has more talent in his pinky finger than I do in my whole body.

Fun fact: he plays almost exclusively in a really weird open-C tuning, ask him to play anything more complicated than like smoke on the water in regular tuning and he doesn't know how to do it. I think that is so rad.

• Halal 1

15 minutes ago, Dodger said:

I only saw him later on like 3 times since 2014 or so. Wish I got to see him earlier. Apparently I need to get rich and see him in Europe for the really good shit like at the Royal Albert Hall.

If you find Devin Townsend tickets for the royal Albert hall, I'll sell a kidney, we can do it.

Did you see his Covid concerts?

2 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

If you find Devin Townsend tickets for the royal Albert hall, I'll sell a kidney, we can do it.

Did you see his Covid concerts?

Yeah I’ve seen all the Covid concerts. Sounds like he wants to do at least all his early albums. 

Let’s make a pact, next time he’s at the Royal Albert Hall we sell our kidneys and go. Or I just max out a credit card.

15 minutes ago, Dodger said:

Yeah I’ve seen all the Covid concerts. Sounds like he wants to do at least all his early albums. 

Let’s make a pact, next time he’s at the Royal Albert Hall we sell our kidneys and go. Or I just max out a credit card.

maxing out a credit card just isn't as exciting.

Also, if he didn't play this song, I would go on a hunger strike

It's unabashedly one of my favorite songs of all time. It was the first song I learned how to play on every instrument.

He plays Love or it isn't worth a kidney.

• Halal 1

24 minutes ago, Dodger said:

I’ve never been to Coachella. My dad came to visit Coachella weekend, took him 12 hours to get home. I’m too old for that shit

I've been twice but these days it seems like barely anyone I've heard of show up and when they do, they are stealth dropped. Like 2NE1 and Utada were there this year, but only part of some huge megaset of other artists. Maxo Kream and a few others were there but nothing that made me want to jump out of my seat and go see.

Some notable band shows that were quite good

Radiohead during the Kid A tour

Spoon during the Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga tour

Ye during the College Droupout tour

Flaming Lips opening, then backing Beck on the Yoshimi/Sea Change tour

I also used to go to somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 shows a year in my teen years. Saw tons of small bands that I can’t even remember the names of but put on a fantastic show. 

One of the best shows I ever went to was OK Go shortly before their debut album released. Electric. I don’t think hardly anybody in the building new a single song from the group, but that had us from the jump. They ended up hanging out in front of the venue for a few hours just chatting with the handful of us still there.

The U2 PopMart Tour back in the late 90s with Rage Against the Machine opening for them. I’m not really into either band, but a friend of mine at the time was a big U2 fan so I went with him. It was actually a really good show, a big concert with a lot of spectacle.

On 5/21/2022 at 2:05 AM, DPCyric said:

Depeche Mode was easily the best they deserve all the fame they have true performers.
Nine Inch Nails with Bauhaus I've seen NIN half a dozen times but you could tell the band was in a particularly good mood at that show.

Are you a fan of darkwave/goth/EBM/industrial/synth-pop music? Those were the genres that I was primarily into in the 90s and 2000s. I was pretty hardcore into that scene, I saw a lot of bands live at the small goth industrial clubs that I went to at the time. While I’m a little more into rock and metal these days, I still like that music. One of my favorite bands from that time Deathline International just released their first new album in 21 years, and it’s really good possibly my album of the year so far.

Matthew Good Live at Massey Hall smaller venue, great sound, crowd singing and it came out on CD

Weird Al: No Strings Attached Tour Saw him in ‘19 and nothing but a sea of Hawaiian shirts. The guy sounds just like the cd’s, he was energetic, costumes and the had a 27 piece orchestra to accompany him. It was awesome

The Tragically Hip: Farewell Tour I wish I could of seen Gord Downie in his prime before his brain tumour diagnosis. His voice was pitchy but my gawd the love from the crowd was mesmerizing. I don’t think I saw one pissed off person, people buying drinks for people, phone lights for Scared, and just a magical Canadian send off to one of the best.

Mumford and Sons: Babel Tour Had to enter a lotto system in hopes of a ticket. Got them, took my mom (loves the band) We stood for their entire concert as everyone was in it and the band had energy to spare. Plus they introduced me to Bear’s Den, who I absolutely adore.

Snow Patrol this was after Eyes Open CD. Small standing room event, went deaf for a few days, music was great and so were the little quips/stories we got between songs. 

EDIT NOTE:

Arcade Fire: Everything Now Tour ‘19 I always wanted to see them and me and a Buddy but tickets on a whim while in Toronto to see Roger Waters (great concert but he didn’t do much of the singing) So returned a month later, got to see Broken Social Scene as the opening act (bonus) Plus the show from AF was incredible and the bass felt like it could collapse the Scotiabank Arena. Like the centre of the stadium approach, rotating box arena stage, and they sounded great. Would happily see them again

12 hours ago, Phaseknox said:

The U2 PopMart Tour back in the late 90s with Rage Against the Machine opening for them. I’m not really into either band, but a friend of mine at the time was a big U2 fan so I went with him. It was actually a really good show, a big concert with a lot of spectacle.

Are you a fan of darkwave/goth/EBM/industrial/synth-pop music? Those were the genres that I was primarily into in the 90s and early 2000s. I was pretty hardcore into that scene, I saw a lot of bands live at the small goth industrial clubs that I went to at the time. While I’m a little more into rock and metal these days, I still like that music. One of my favorite bands from that time Deathline International just released their first new album in 21 years, and it’s really good possibly my album of the year so far.

Yes we have discussed this before that was my jam in that area some of the best bands I seen in that time were Wolfsheim, Funker Voght, The Cruxshadows, KMFDM and Ministry. I've switched moved to Metal and Kpop as my main genres but still love those other ones.

Edit: Wasn't familiar with Deathline International but listening to it now and I approve (not my album of the year I think the new The Spirit album gets that).

17 hours ago, DPCyric said:

Yes we have discussed this before that was my jam in that area some of the best bands I seen in that time were Wolfsheim, Funker Voght, The Cruxshadows, KMFDM and Ministry. I've switched moved to Metal and Kpop as my main genres but still love those other ones.

I didn’t realize that we had discussed this before, my memory isn’t quite what it used to be. I really like Wolfsheim, Funker Vogt, The Cruxshadows and KMFDM. Wolfsheim unfortunately broke up, but the others are still active and release new albums. Funker Vogt has a new singer, but he’s good.

17 hours ago, DPCyric said:

Wasn't familiar with Deathline International but listening to it now and I approve (not my album of the year I think the new The Spirit album gets that).

I’m glad that you like the new Deathline International album, you might want to check out their previous stuff as well. I sampled the new The Spirit album, and while it’s good it’s not quite my thing as black, death and doom metal can be a bit too brutal/harsh for me. I like some of it, but I’m more into goth, industrial, power and symphonic metal. However, I think that @SimpleG would like it. He’s really into that kind of music.

On 5/21/2022 at 2:37 PM, silentbob said:

Mumford and Sons: Babel Tour Had to enter a lotto system in hopes of a ticket. Got them, took my mom (loves the band) We stood for their entire concert as everyone was in it and the band had energy to spare. Plus they introduced me to Bear’s Den, who I absolutely adore.

I have seen them twice. Once at the Forest Hills Tennis Stadium in Queens and the other time on a beach in Seaside Heights, NJ.  They were great both times. The cool venues definitely added to the experience 

• Like 1

I've own seen TSO(twice) and Tenacious D live. Both were great shows.

I did see The D during their Post-Apocalypto tour and Post-Apocalypto kinda sucks, but their classics were great and the show, overall, was an experience I'm glad to have had and it was amazing. 

Still didn't beat TSO. I'd like to see them again. 

Of Montreal/Janelle Monae stands out. Olivia Tremor Control/NMH/elf power seems like a dream that it even happened. Foxygen right after their debut fucking had IT, but then idk something happened by the next time. Jeffrey Lewis opening for Mountain Goats was amazing. Probably one of those, Ive seen some amazing shows it’s pretty hard.

Oh one time I saw Bob Dylan like 99-01 somewhere around there and Phil Lesh from Grateful dead or something was opening but were late so Dylan went on first outside in the day time and it must have been right before he lost his voice because he was still singing like Dylan. And not that many people were there yet because he was supposed to be on later in the evening so it was crazy seeing Dylan up there and scattered seating. It was also my first real concert that I wanted to go to so it was really special yeah.

Ok actually no Of Montreal on my 21st birthday before they got kinda indie big. They were playing this small little club, like 30 people there. I got to talk to Kevin for a little bit and thank him for playing “i was watching your eyes” which I couldn’t believe happened. And he signed my shirt which has since faded but yeah that was a magical night and they never played any of those songs again really.

50 minutes ago, BasemntDweller2 said:

Damn how the hell did I forget Tom Petty and the Heart breakers. Great show and I hooked up with a Romanian gymnast that night :buttsex:

Was a hell of a show for me as well, though, the after party was much less eventful in my case!