She-Hulk: Attorney at Law (Trailer/Aug 18th Release)

This episode was a lot of fun, particularly the banter between She-Hulk and Daredevil. The slow creeping in of the Daredevil opening theme music for his name introduction made me chuckle heartily, and the color coded, intense hallway action scene was actually well done and made me believe the Daredevil pseudo-reboot Disney+ show could work (the whole episode showed that). Great to see and hear Cox back in the role after a very small cameo in No Way Home.

19 minutes ago, silentbob said:

Best episode yet and their chemistry on screen was amazing. Love seeing DD fighting again (still need to finish S3) Costume looked cool in action but odd in closeups. Still that walk of shame was GOLD! Now at the end there, was she going Savage She-Hulk?

She was 

MCU DD > Netflix already 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, johnny said:

i feel strongly that this is the best MCU show to date 

27 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I'd say it's second to Ms. Marvel.

I'm not sure I'm willing to go that far. None of the shows have been real standouts to me, but I did thoroughly enjoy Loki and What If (surprisingly). Hawkeye was also a lot more fun than I expected, but I'm a Hawkeye stan so I'm biased. There was also a lot of interesting work going on in WandaVision but I think villainizing Wanda was a bad way to go with that story, which gets worse with Doctor Strange 2. I also personally enjoyed a lot of Moon Knight for trying to introduce a complicated superhero though I think the show would have been better binged all at once. The Falcon and the Winter Soldier will be significant for Captain America 4 and it was a pleasant enough show but forgettable. Being Pakistani-American, I liked Ms. Marvel, and interested where that will go for The Marvels film, but it felt too slight to me ultimately.

She-Hulk has been a lot of fun, but not sure where it fits in the Loki/What If/Hawkeye top hierarchy for me. Last episode will help to determine that.

I was not loving the extreme 4th wall stuff with the writers, but the Kevin bit was great.

Like all the Marvel shows, this one was very uneven, but when it worked, it did bring some great moments that are completely unlike anything else in the MCU. I’ll happily watch another season.

8 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I was not loving the extreme 4th wall stuff with the writers, but the Kevin bit was great.

Like all the Marvel shows, this one was very uneven, but when it worked, it did bring some great moments that are completely unlike anything else in the MCU. I’ll happily watch another season.

Extreme 4th wall breaks are all She Hulk. She's literally torn pages out of her comic because she wasn't happy with them.

IMG_0697.jpg

I'm happy they held off on going this extreme until the finale, but I was really happy to see it happen.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

This is where I land. Overall I enjoyed the show a good bit. It did a lot that's been unlike anything else in the MCU so far. But the show has been uneven, emphasizing different plots to weirdly different extents; the show had strange pacing. I loved the 4th wall break here at the end, though I did think it went on for too long. In general I'm a fan of 4th wall breaks, but I will say even though She-Hulk did it first, in terms of films Deadpool's 4th wall breaks were overall much funnier and felt more in line with the tone of his films than this did here.

I think the ending overall was really good, but there was some seriously wonky decisions made here story wise: 1) the episode doesn't make completely clear if Abomination was in on Hulking/Todd's group Intelligentsia, or if he just happened to be hosting them and being their guest speaker at his own lodge? He does try to help She-Hulk once the plot goes off the rails before the 4th wall breaks, but if that's the case why would Blonsky risk jail time by turning into Abomination for speaking engagements (where he'd clearly get caught eventually) if not for deeper, ulterior motives? 

2) the editing when they cut back to the actual plot after the 4th wall break with Kevin, how'd it go from a fight breaking out that she deletes with Kevin to everyone is suddenly arrested and Titania is there for . . . reasons somehow without explanation? Daredevil literally just drops from out of the sky out of nowhere, but not to help or do anything (I get it's part of the joke, but the editing whiplash was rough). We needed to cut back to before things went off the rails to see how things really went down but we just skip all of that - jarring.

3) why spend the entire season seeding a blood-related plotline that you indicate will matter to one degree or another to just literally erase it and make it not matter at the end? That just feels lazy to me.

I guess the theories were true that Bruce Banner had a child as Hulk on Sakaar when he was there for 2 years. Already a somewhat adult son in Skaar. Also Wong's strange obsession with Abomination is definitely something they are building up to in a bigger way down the road. Overall good if uneven season, would love to see a season 2. Id' say it ranks around Ms. Marvel, which was also definitely good but uneven. The social and political commentaries in both were also a bit too on the nose for my liking, but better it be there than not. People in general are dumb so I imagine they're trying to make it obvious for them.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

2) the editing when they cut back to the actual plot after the 4th wall break with Kevin, how'd it go from a fight breaking out that she deletes with Kevin to everyone is suddenly arrested and Titania is there for . . . reasons somehow without explanation? Daredevil literally just drops from out of the sky out of nowhere, but not to help or do anything (I get it's part of the joke, but the editing whiplash was rough). We needed to cut back to before things went off the rails to see how things really went down but we just skip all of that - jarring.

That was 100% purposeful, though. The editing was rough because the ending had nothing to do with what KEVIN had been planning from early in the series and everything to do with how Jen wanted her series to end. We got Jen's ending, complete with Daredevil literally dropping from the heavens to be sexy for a bit. She wanted a happy ending for herself, the incels being thrown in jail, and Emil having to be accountable for breaking his parole.

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 1

3 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

That was 100% purposeful, though. The editing was rough because the ending had nothing to do with what KEVIN had been planning from early in the series and everything to do with how Jen wanted her series to end. We got Jen's ending, complete with Daredevil literally dropping from the heavens to be sexy for a bit. She wanted a happy ending for herself, the incels being thrown in jail, and Emil having to be accountable for breaking his parole.

Yeah that's all well and good but it felt jarring and poorly executed in terms of narrative flow. The intentions were good in terms of having her create her own ending but dropping season long plotlines and de-escalating the stakes so much so as to skip them completely felt ultimately hollow to me, though I was otherwise enjoying myself.

3 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Yeah that's all well and good but it felt jarring and poorly executed in terms of narrative flow. The intentions were good in terms of having her create her own ending but dropping season long plotlines and de-escalating the stakes so much so as to skip them completely felt ultimately hollow to me, though I was otherwise enjoying myself.

The ending was the narratively correct one. The series is a comedy first and the incels and Abomination and Hulk and everyone just going at each other was impossible to resolve in a humorous way that would match up with the feel of the rest of the series. Take Hulk out of the picture and there was still no humorous way to end things other than like Todd exploding and dying from the injection. However, that would have been far too grim for a comedy. Instead, they just went the Holy Grail route. Everyone goes to jail...except Jen because it's her show.

9 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

The ending was the narratively correct one. The series is a comedy first and the incels and Abomination and Hulk and everyone just going at each other was impossible to resolve in a humorous way that would match up with the feel of the rest of the series. Take Hulk out of the picture and there was still no humorous way to end things other than like Todd exploding and dying from the injection. However, that would have been far too grim for a comedy. Instead, they just went the Holy Grail route. Everyone goes to jail...except Jen because it's her show.

I'm agreeing it's the narratively correct one, I'm saying it was executed somewhat haphazardly. 

22 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I'm agreeing it's the narratively correct one, I'm saying it was executed somewhat haphazardly. 

No worries. I get it. I guess I just appreciate how weirdly put together it is, because I view the ending as being written by Jen who is a lawyer and doesn't know how to keep the story tight.

• True 1

4 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

No worries. I get it. I guess I just appreciate how weirdly put together it is, because I view the ending as being written by Jen who is a lawyer and doesn't know how to keep the story tight.

That's a pretty optimistic read, and I like it. It was just super jarring going from the scene with Kevin to a completely new scene where everyone was already arrested, etc. It fit the tone of the show, which was great. 

1 hour ago, Ghost_MH said:

Extreme 4th wall breaks are all She Hulk. She's literally torn pages out of her comic because she wasn't happy with them.

indeed this was comic accurate, though I am not sure how people will feel about it. As a comic fan I enjoyed it, and yet I also wanted a tighter more focused story. Yes the KEVIN thing was funny, especially 

Spoiler

her asking about the X-Men and KEVIN screwing with her by saying see you in the movies. 

Now the opening homage to the original Incredible Hulk show was absolutely brilliant...but I am praying they were totally screwing with us with 

Spoiler

how Skaar looked..I mean WTF was that!

• Halal 1

8 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

That's a pretty optimistic read, and I like it.

I also like that KEVIN implies that this is the last time he's letting Jen do this. Also, you've got Matt who has zero idea why he's even there. Matt said he was only visiting for one day, so that does mean he did return to New York, but was swooped up by KEVIN magic, dropped in California, and is on his way back on the first flight in the morning. I'm super glad Todd didn't get to keep his powers, because the last thing we need was a guy that can hulk out whenever because he's "always angry...at women".

6 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

indeed this was comic accurate, though I am not sure how people will feel about it. As a comic fan I enjoyed it, and yet I also wanted a tighter more focused story. Yes the KEVIN thing was funny, especially 

Hide contents

her asking about the X-Men and KEVIN screwing with her by saying see you in the movies. 

Now the opening homage to the original Incredible Hulk show was absolutely brilliant...but I am praying they were totally screwing with us with 

Hide contents

how Skaar looked..I mean WTF was that!

That look she gave the camera when she popped that question was absolute perfection.

That CG was rough. A lot of the She-Hulk I thought was mostly good, just with poor comping. He was just rough all around. I mean, KEVIN did say the VFX artists were busy working on something else. I'm pretty sure it's just an incomplete model that only exists because they don't have a final actor cast and this was only for the short stinger. He'll probably have a completely new look when he's formally introduced at a later date.

• Halal 2

1 minute ago, Ghost_MH said:

I also like that KEVIN implies that this is the last time he's letting Jen do this. Also, you've got Matt who has zero idea why he's even there. Matt said he was only visiting for one day, so that does mean he did return to New York, but was swooped up by KEVIN magic, dropped in California, and is on his way back on the first flight in the morning. I'm super glad Todd didn't get to keep his powers, because the last thing we need was a guy that can hulk out whenever because he's "always angry...at women".

Just as an aside, they said Matt's staying for the week in California after they did magically just drop him back in (when it was just supposed to be the night originally, as you said). 

3 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Just as an aside, they said Matt's staying for the week in California after they did magically just drop him back in (when it was just supposed to be the night originally, as you said). 

Was it a week? Then I misheard. I guess She-Hulk gets to smash some more...but this time with a good lesson from her cousin.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

That CG was rough. A lot of the She-Hulk I thought was mostly good, just with poor comping. He was just rough all around. I mean, KEVIN did say the VFX artists were busy working on something else. I'm pretty sure it's just an incomplete model that only exists because they don't have a final actor cast and this was only for the short stinger. He'll probably have a completely new look when he's formally introduced at a later date.

Rough doesn't even begin to describe him, especially the hair. Looked more like Fiona from Shrek.

1 minute ago, EternallDarkness said:

Rough doesn't even begin to describe him, especially the hair. Looked more like Fiona from Shrek.

I just looked at him again. Rough is fine. I'm not a fan of the actual design. The lighting on him is fine. I mean, it's daytime with a strong directional light, so that helps. I think what really throws it off is the terrible clothes. The shirt he's wearing looks like it's embossed on him and not actually something he's wearing. That and he's standing right now to next to the incredible (HA!) Hulk model. Marvel's artists really have the Hulk down pat. Even She-Hulk, who I think mostly looks great, doesn't look her best when she's sharing the screen with Hulk. Poor boy never stood a chance.

34 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

I just looked at him again. Rough is fine. I'm not a fan of the actual design. The lighting on him is fine. I mean, it's daytime with a strong directional light, so that helps. I think what really throws it off is the terrible clothes. The shirt he's wearing looks like it's embossed on him and not actually something he's wearing. That and he's standing right now to next to the incredible (HA!) Hulk model. Marvel's artists really have the Hulk down pat. Even She-Hulk, who I think mostly looks great, doesn't look her best when she's sharing the screen with Hulk. Poor boy never stood a chance.

My problem is he doesn't look a thing like he does in the comics...as I said, he looks more like Fiona than anything else :|

11 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

My problem is he doesn't look a thing like he does in the comics...as I said, he looks more like Fiona than anything else :|

Ah, yeah, the top knot shaved thing was not at all what I was expecting. The face was always just going to be whoever they cast. Definitely would have preferred the longer hair, but I guess hair like that is also expensive and they blew the hair budget on Jen :p

21 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:
  Hide contents

Skaar... ugh. I hated him in the comics and I hate him now with just that one appearance. They announced Planet Hulk right? Is that happening? Than Skaar

I loved the finale. Marvel is really going to have to figure out how to do a Deadpool/SheHulk crossover at some point.

meh, honestly I have no real feelings on the actual character, can't think of many comics I read with him in it. I just know he always looked more like a Conan the barbarian than ...well whatever the hell that thing was. :p 

3 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

meh, honestly I have no real feelings on the actual character, can't think of many comics I read with him in it. I just know he always looked more like a Conan the barbarian than ...well whatever the hell that thing was. :p 

I know he grows up rapidly but I don't think he's "fully" grown yet. 

On 10/14/2022 at 1:43 AM, skillzdadirecta said:
  Hide contents

Skaar... ugh. I hated him in the comics and I hate him now with just that one appearance. They announced Planet Hulk right? Is that happening? Than Skaar

I loved the finale. Marvel is really going to have to figure out how to do a Deadpool/SheHulk crossover at some point.

I won’t lie, I expected Deadpool to show up briefly with that awesome 4th Wall break she did. Like @Ghost_MHsaid, her X-Men question/reaction was just PERFECT! I love her thumbs up, smiling fanboy face reaction for “our” question. I really enjoyed the ending and then Jen’s ending, very Wayne’s World’ish. So are she and Matt a couple and do you think we might see her on Born Again? I will agree though that Skaar looked like a rush job CGI was. I do hope we get a 2nd season or at more She-Hulk

• Halal 1