The climate crisis.

I don’t think there is a hot button issue I spend less time thinking about than climate change because I fully understand governments aren’t going to give up growth for sustainability because they operate like the modern public corporation and are focused on the next quarterly report.

I am more interested in the technology and engineering efforts at mitigation.

15 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Pretty good for no actual meat. Not as good as the regular Whopper though.

Some of my in laws are vegans, and we grill up beyond and impossible burgers pretty regularly when we do cookouts. By themselves I don’t think they taste particularly like ground beef although the mouthfeel is pretty close and much better than even a few years ago. But if you dress up the vegan burgers with sauces and condiments I find that I don’t really miss the meat at all. Same with the Whoppers.

I also think we are less than a decade from mass produced lab grown meat from animal DNA that is indistinguishable from the meat from butchering the same animal. There is good reason to believe this lab grown meat will also be significantly cheaper at retail than “natural” (LOLOL) meat from factory farms well before 2040.

I am wholly convinced that, at the latest, my great grand children and their peers will all look back at people who at butchered animals as absolute barbarians.

15 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I also think we are less than a decade from mass produced lab grown meat from animal DNA that is indistinguishable from the meat from butchering the same animal. There is good reason to believe this lab grown meat will also be significantly cheaper at retail than “natural” (LOLOL) meat from factory farms well before 2040.

I am wholly convinced that, at the latest, my great grand children and their peers will all look back at people who at butchered animals as absolute barbarians.

Another point which hasn’t been brought up here with mass meat consumption is that by far the majority use of antibiotics comes from this industry - not from doctors being liberal in prescribing antibiotics these days. 

If a super antibiotic resistant bug scares you, then your focus should be on how insanely rampant this practice is in meat production. Pump animals (and not just beef here but also poultry) with antibiotics to get them to grow faster and larger? Profit 

15 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

How are those? I still haven't tried any impossible meat yet. Also is impossible meat really climate friendly with all of the processing involved?

It's...not bad? I guess I judge it like this: it's not like the actual Whopper meat is good to begin with so it's like a slight step down from "shitty sorta-meat" to "whatever this is". I think it's perfectly acceptable I guess if I'm gonna go Burger King in the first place.

19 minutes ago, Comet said:

Another point which hasn’t been brought up here with mass meat consumption is that by far the majority use of antibiotics comes from this industry - not from doctors being liberal in prescribing antibiotics these days. 

If a super antibiotic resistant bug scares you, then your focus should be on how insanely rampant this practice is in meat production. Pump animals (and not just beef here but also poultry) with antibiotics to get them to grow faster and larger? Profit 

I look forward to TV advertisements in 2034 telling us that "real" Americans eat beef from cows, not from labs. At the bottom will be a little "Paid for by the Pharmaceutical Association of America" text.

14 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

There is no mitigation or engineering strategy or money or technology at all whatsoever to compensate for existing emissions and curtailing future emissions and thinking that there is is pure unbridled fantasy

Mitigation of the effects. We aren’t fixing emissions or temps, that is the fantasy.

25 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Mitigation of the effects. We aren’t fixing emissions or temps, that is the fantasy.

There’s going to be large swaths of the planet, including the US, where it will simply be too deadly to go outside for very long due to dangerously high wet bulb temperatures. Add in a brown or black outs and you’ve got a mass casualty event in the summer. There’s no mitigation for this. The Midwest and SE are particularly vulnerable to this because they’re already fairly hot and humid. 

this also affects agriculture in many varied ways

but the fantasy is reducing emissions. It is possible but it takes the political will (which under current leadership I don’t see admittedly)

6 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

There’s going to be large swaths of the planet, including the US, where it will simply be too deadly to go outside for very long due to dangerously high wet bulb temperatures. Add in a brown or black outs and you’ve got a mass casualty event in the summer. There’s no mitigation for this. The Midwest and SE are particularly vulnerable to this because they’re already fairly hot and humid. 

this also affects agriculture in many varied ways

but the fantasy is reducing emissions. It is possible but it takes the political will (which under current leadership I don’t see admittedly)

The fix for the climate crisis is a large portion of the world population dying, it is what it is at this point.

6 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

The fix for the climate crisis is a large portion of the world population dying, it is what it is at this point.

Nope. Unless that big portion is the western one because we’re the ones with the high ongoing and historical emissions that got us here

2 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Nope. Unless that big portion is the western one because we’re the ones with the high ongoing and historical emissions that got us here

The bulk will undoubtedly be from Africa and Asia, but the west will also likely see a lot of death as well.  The loss of billions of humans regardless of where will send the world into freefall and emissions will plummet due to just a lack of resources.

3 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Yes, you literally described why reducing emissions to prevent further climate damage is fantasy. The only thing people can hope for is technological adaptation to a planet that is less hospitable to much of nature.

Unless all the tipping point talk ends up wrong for some reason, but there is no reason to suspect that is the case.

1 hour ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

There is no mitigation or engineering strategy or money or technology at all whatsoever to compensate for existing emissions and curtailing future emissions and thinking that there is is pure unbridled fantasy

Curtailing future emissions is part of a very large and multi-faceted climate change equation. Efforts to clean current emissions (and there's a lot of various efforts going towards this today) will ultimately be futile if we don't also lessen future emissions. Both have to happen. Arguing which one is more important doesn't really matter to a discussion here. We aren't the ones prioritizing funds to go towards solving different aspects of this equation. But it goes back to the point that what can we as individuals do? We can't clean up current emissions for shit. However, we do have power in lessening future emissions. And baby footsteps we take today will feel like a drop in an ocean, sure, but it's about creating a culture of accountability around this issue for future generations. 

Also, this reminds me of this great series from Kurzgesagst: 

2 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Some of my in laws are vegans, and we grill up beyond and impossible burgers pretty regularly when we do cookouts. By themselves I don’t think they taste particularly like ground beef although the mouthfeel is pretty close and much better than even a few years ago. But if you dress up the vegan burgers with sauces and condiments I find that I don’t really miss the meat at all. Same with the Whoppers.

The Beyond spicy Italian is very good without even needing to be dressed up IMO. The only hint it's not a real sausage is you don't get the characteristic snap of biting through the casing.

Beyond has these crumbles though and holy shit are they BAD. My reaction was that they tasted the way dog food smells. The burgers are fine so I don't get how the crumbles are so bad since they're both ground meat replacements from the same company.

On 4/20/2022 at 1:11 PM, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Lol this just reminded me of the fact that my boomer parents are trying to retire to South Carolina 

Just now, Uaarkson said:

It has some fantastic beaches and little resort towns and Charleston is pretty badass. The rest of the state? Beyond worthless.

I haven’t been to Charleston yet but it’s on my list. I’ll probably go back to Savannah instead, I consider the best walking city in the country

2 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I haven’t been to Charleston yet but it’s on my list. I’ll probably go back to Savannah instead, I consider the best walking city in the country

Savannah is incredible, and has the best urban street grid on the planet. Too bad it’s currently gentrifying in all the wrong ways 

On 4/20/2022 at 3:16 PM, skillzdadirecta said:

Considering the fact that I've restricted my red meat eating to twice a month and the fact that I don't own a car and haven't owned one since I was 17, I'm gonna continue to enjoy an occasional burger, steak or lamb chop and sleep well while doing so :nottalking:

Yeah, no interest in veganism whatsoever. If I want red meat, I eat red meat. Im certainly never giving it up, especially not for current vegan options. I generally only eat red meat 2-3 times a week, mostly wild game. The Idea that the world will become vegan, or even vegetarian, is laughable at best. 

On 4/22/2022 at 1:48 PM, Jason said:

speaking of south carolina

image.png

I don't get it? They are mad about appliances?

Edit:nvm, didn't even look at the flags

So last week I had to turn in a maintenance cost report to my boss cause the governor made it so that by 2027 we have to start buying electric school busses and maintenance vehicles and by 2035 our whole fleet has to be electric. I'm skeptical of this time line because right now busses claim to have about 120 maybe 130 mile range, they're 200k more than a diesel bus not including the chargers and they're like another 40k but can do up to 4 busses. Now that mileage would be ok but it's before you turn on AC or heat and industry standard is something like 2 percent capacity loss every year, so the batteries will need to be replaced every 5-6 years and I currently have a bus that does almost 200 miles a day, while it could charge between going out its cutting it close when it's gotta turn on heaters or ac, lol. On top of all this we'd need to build like a substation along with upgraded all the electrical in our facility to hable the power and they haven't said how we're supposed to afford any of it.