The climate crisis.

8 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

It’s the most depressing thing in my life especially since there is nothing I can do. I will buy an electric car. I will get solar panels. I plan moving from gas to electric heat. None of this will matter. It’s futile. 

I am 36 so I anticipate that I shouldn't have too much issues with climate change. 

I went plant based 3.5 years ago to do my part. It’s not much, but I felt compelled to try something. 

This will only be solved by massive investment, not a collective of individual efforts of people not eating meat or buying electric cars.

• Like 1
  • True 1

Thank Christ I’m raising my kids in the American Midwest 

newsheraldfallback.jpg
WWW.THENEWSHERALD.COM

“Climate change … could well trigger large-scale migration in the decades ahead.” – Ban Ki-moon, Former UN Secretary-General Hello Downriver, For those of us who have lived …

1 hour ago, Comet said:

I went plant based 3.5 years ago to do my part. It’s not much, but I felt compelled to try something. 

This will only be solved by massive investment, not a collective of individual efforts of people not eating meat or buying electric cars.

Plant based? Do u mean vegetarian?

:|

7 minutes ago, Captain Pickle said:

Plant based? Do u mean vegetarian?

:|

Nah, vegetarian isn’t plant-based since they still eat plenty of animal by-products. So vegan. But I say plant based since I don’t care for processed junk like Oreos which are technically vegan. 

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

How are those? I still haven't tried any impossible meat yet. Also is impossible meat really climate friendly with all of the processing involved?

I like it a lot, I only order the impossible whopper now at BK. 

As to the climate impact:

spacer.png

And McDonald’s is testing their Beyond burger at a few stores which I took a bite out of one a few weeks ago and it isn’t bad at all. 

They’re decent meat substitutions for sure, but don’t let them fool you for being healthy. They’re delicious sodium bombs. 

• True 1

7 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Meat consumption in and of itself isn’t a big deal for climate. Deforestation is however

Its factor in greenhouse gases is not an insignificant amount:

AMP.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Production of meat worldwide causes twice the pollution of production of plant-based foods, a major new study has found

1 hour ago, Comet said:

Nah, vegetarian isn’t plant-based since they still eat plenty of animal by-products. So vegan. But I say plant based since I don’t care for processed junk like Oreos which are technically vegan. 

Sorry, I’m just a crusty old vegetarian that’s like “what’s wrong with saying vegan or vegetarian?!? Stupid marketing executives making the things I like attractive to more ppl, causing a reduction in meat consumption, which I want!!!! Stupid corpo jackasses!

4 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Like @Comet - I stopped consuming practically all animal products since last October though I will still have salmon on occasion as I do need that protein infusion from time to time.

Of all the animal products, cheese was BY FAR the most difficult for me to kick.

After comments like this below

"The quality is perfectly adequate by my standards, but then again "appetizing" is definitely NOT a priority for me

I just assume you would eat a charcoal briquet if it met your daily nutrient intake

:p

44 minutes ago, Comet said:

Its factor in greenhouse gases is not an insignificant amount:

AMP.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Production of meat worldwide causes twice the pollution of production of plant-based foods, a major new study has found

This just reinforces that beef consumption needs to be curtailed significantly for emissions to say nothing of the land requirements for beef production.

Chicken is mostly fine however. 

• True 1

59 minutes ago, Comet said:

And McDonald’s is testing their Beyond burger at a few stores which I took a bite out of one a few weeks ago and it isn’t bad at all. 

They’re decent meat substitutions for sure, but don’t let them fool you for being healthy. They’re delicious sodium bombs. 

Beyond and Impossible are both explicitly going after the "doesn't want to stop eating meat but will do so if you give them a good alternative" market, not the market that's already interested in going veggie for health reasons.

7 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

After comments like this below

"The quality is perfectly adequate by my standards, but then again "appetizing" is definitely NOT a priority for me

I just assume you would eat a charcoal briquet if it met your daily nutrient intake

:p

You would be fairly accurate in that assumption!

In fact, the day that science creates a pill that will fulfill my daily nutritional requirements, I'll be first in line to get it!  The same goes for a pill that fulfills the physiological/psychological requirements for sleep.

8 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

You would be fairly accurate in that assumption!

In fact, the day that science creates a pill that will fulfill my daily nutritional requirements, I'll be first in line to get it!  The same goes for a pill that fulfills the physiological/psychological requirements for sleep.

Even better if it's a suppository.

• Haha 1
  • True 1
  • Sicko 1