Have you considered starting a business?

It can be difficult and stressful at times, but also terrifically rewarding when you see your work culminate in a satisfied customer.

What would you do if you did decide the start a business? 

1 minute ago, stepee said:

Yeah, when I was younger my friend and I tried to start etsy. The problem was etsy had the same idea at that time.

What did “trying to start” it consist of? Did you actually begin coding a platform, or was it more of an idea and then you saw Etsy and were like “well, never mind”?

3 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

What did “trying to start” it consist of? Did you actually begin coding a platform, or was it more of an idea and then you saw Etsy and were like “well, never mind”?

Unfortunately, it consisted of actually launching, live shop, artists signed up, and THEN discovering etsy somehow.

It was more where he wanted to go anyway than myself, I wasn’t that interested in the platform though obviously it was successful for etsy, but nothing I care about. I might have the opportunity again if I wanted to try something I care about but idk if I wanna at this point. 

7 minutes ago, stepee said:

Unfortunately, it consisted of actually launching, live shop, artists signed up, and THEN discovering etsy somehow.

It was more where he wanted to go anyway than myself, I wasn’t that interested in the platform though obviously it was successful for etsy, but nothing I care about. I might have the opportunity again if I wanted to try something I care about but idk if I wanna at this point. 

That is interesting! What was the history of the company? How long from when you started to when you finished?

28 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Never even remotely crossed my mind.

I'm far too risk-averse (financially) to start a business.

2 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Same.

I can appreciate that. I think part of what worked when I started the first theater is I was already poor, so who cares if it didn’t work out? Mostly would have just been out my time and effort :p 

I can say there have been times where I have thought I might rather just have an 8-5 where I can check out of work once I clock out. My current situation involves me being pretty plugged in at all times. I think that wears on me mentally more than the acute stresses like something going wrong.

No, nope, no thanks! I'm 15 years to retirement and I plan to scale down my life to an extremely low cost style and live out the remainder of my days reading, taking walks, and working as little as possible. When death comes for me, I will not fight it. I have lived and that is good enough for me. :sun:

• Like 1

Not really, but I've heard Video Lottery is "basically pure profit". Businesses are pretty scummy as they really only exist to prey on poor and desperate people. I have no idea what it takes to run one these places, but with how low class and dingy they appear to be easy to run. I know you need like different kinds of licenses and you are "renting" the machines from the government or some shit like that, but I have never looked into it.

14 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

No, nope, no thanks! I'm 15 years to retirement and I plan to scale down my life to an extremely low cost style and live out the remainder of my days reading, taking walks, and working as little as possible. When death comes for me, I will not fight it. I have lived and that is good enough for me. :sun:

Our towers will weep upon the retirement of their sugar daddy.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Rachel said:

You’re the boss. Change it. 

Not doable outside of simply not caring about my staff or selling the everything and being out. In the future we may grow to the point where I can replace myself. Not there yet.

4 hours ago, sblfilms said:

That is interesting! What was the history of the company? How long from when you started to when you finished?

Honestly I don’t remember exactly, but I think it was like two years. 6 months build, 1yr trying to make operation profitable, 6 months slowly winding it down. Honestly besides the whole idea already existed thing a lot of the failure was due to me simply not wanting to invest time into it and fucking off because I didn’t care enough about the idea and hated the work of building and running it. So not really a good combination for success. 

The iphone had just came out at the time and I would have preferred doing something more along those lines (a product that targeted the emerging move to smart phones, not the smart phone itself lol), had a million ideas that were eventually done, who knows if I could have gotten anything off the ground back then but probably would have been a better shot at it if I didn’t settle for going with my friends idea.

I've done freelance work in things like photo editing, but I wouldn't consider that "starting a business." For a while I toyed with the idea of starting my own clothing brand and even designed and sold a few things, but I got burnt out on it pretty quick, I'm pretty sure I was working 2 jobs at the time. Then I heard about someone I follow online who managed to create a work pipeline selling baby onesies that pretty much just ran itself and it made me really jealous, so I thought about starting one again but already got too bogged down with other shit.

One time someone wanted to hire me to narrate an audiobook, which is odd because my voice is nasally and terrible (to me). That ended up falling through.

Then of course I've had multiple people ask me to help them start a restaurant, but fuck that noise. Restaurants don't succeed very often, and even when they do they're a shit load of work and don't make all that much money. Though now that I live in New Orleans, I'd be more open to the idea. Overhead is a lot lower here since you don't actually have to pay your employees and don't have to do things like have... plates, or glasses, or dishwashers, or really anything beyond what you actually need for what you want to do.

I always wanted to own a movie theater, actually.

But also I've always dreamed of owning a car restoration/modification shop. I was actually going to take a shot at flipping a few cars this summer, but all my capital went into purchasing my grandmother's house recently, and since we're not selling the current place, what's left over is going into repairs. Never really dreamed of being a slum lord but here I am.

Yes, in fact I've operated my own sole proprietorship the last five years doing wedding photography.

mg-8282-2-1770.jpg?w=600&s=1e4f4dc0416b3
WWW.RLPHOTO.CA

Wedding and life photographer in Regina, Saskatchewan.

EDIT - Oh nice, the preview image gets cropped to just boobs on D1P. That's on-brand.

The best part of the job is delivering the photos and hearing the clients gush over them. I'm fortunate to have a great full-time job that pays the mortgage and enough for retirement, so I am selective about my weddings and only take 4-5 per year (max). Enough to bring in some extra money (and I charge enough to be considered on the high end), but also low enough to not stress me out.

bwmPCUc.jpg

5mn1U9O.png

QxkDBjJ.jpg

TYujXqp.jpg

OL4Gtj8.jpg

awEdBNI.jpg

JudQozy.jpg

• Like 2

There are all sorts of things I’ve kinda fallen into over the years, my most recent is that I had been doing random construction jobs on the side for friends and family, and everyone so often a friend of a friend. My little brother wanted to start doing some stuff on the side in addition to his software engineering thing, so we last month launched a construction company and have been picking up lots of jobs.

Like today, I am at a job site pulling glue down bamboo flooring up with a couple day laborers for a customer who had a pipe break inside the concrete slab. So gotta demo everything the next couple of days, then fix the busted pipe, then go back in and tile the whole thing.

But we also just signed a contract to do a custom home build, so I am excited about that. Building things is one of my favorite things to do. Getting paid is just a bonus at this point.

56 minutes ago, Rachel said:

You can donate your construction salary to me then since it’s just a hobby and you’re already loaded 😎

Nah, I’m saving my construction job monies for a pool

36 minutes ago, Rachel said:

you can’t afford one already?

I pump the vast majority of my income back into productive assets. I always save up side hustle money for special things.

16 minutes ago, Rachel said:

Ohh okay. 

How about 50% of your construction income then?

No way, I want to float in my pool this year. At  worst sit in the spa during the winter months.

But everybody can come for a pool party