Jason Schreier thinks God of War Ragnarok is coming this year, won't be delayed

SaysWho?

2 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

If you’ve been watching the past two years shit is getting delayed left and right lol. 

Eh it was already delayed from last year. 

Breath of the Wild 2 on the other hand, while I do believe it could come out this year for the holidays, I wouldn't be surprised if it was delayed, and if Jason said he was confident it was coming out this year then that would be good news. 

34 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Ahhh okay, that explains why I don’t know him. I don’t read. Anything. Ever. 

He's also done a lot of investigative journalism behind things like crunch and other stuff.

That anyone who regularly uses this board has not heard of him is pretty weird. He's been in many headlines and stories on this subforum many times.

15 minutes ago, AshsToAshs said:

I'm hyped for Ragnarok.

But a little sad we wont get to see what they could have made if they didn't have to also support the PS4.

This is my main issue with the game. It won't take advantage of the horsepower of the ps5. We won't see that happening for maybe 2 more years.

3 hours ago, best3444 said:

This is my main issue with the game. It won't take advantage of the horsepower of the ps5. We won't see that happening for maybe 2 more years.

Nah. That's not true. 

HZD on ps5 and PS4 are almost different games. It wasn't held back. This is a nonsense fan opinion. PC devs have been doing this for almost 25 years. 

I played the PS4 version. Its a pale imitation. Its scaled down a lot in every areas of the game, and uses videos of PS5's real time scenes for fmv, because the console couldn't handle it. Whats more interesting is how they got it running on PS4 at all,  not that the pS5 version suffered. 

Bigger question though, why are you so obsessed with graphics? 

11 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

Nah. That's not true. 

HZD on ps5 and PS4 are almost different games. It wasn't held back. This is a nonsense fan opinion. PC devs have been doing this for almost 25 years. 

I played the PS4 version. Its a pale imitation. Its scaled down a lot in every areas of the game, and uses videos of PS5's real time scenes for fmv, because the console couldn't handle it. Whats more interesting is how they got it running on PS4 at all,  not that the pS5 version suffered. 

That's not the verdict I got from Digital Foundry at all. Also, I love amazing visuals and have always been obsessed with it. You'd think I'd own an amazing PC but I don't anymore. I think the first party PlayStation games always have the best visuals each gen so I hope to snag a ps5 next year. A lot of your posts come off like everything you say is fact and it's clearly not lol.

17 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

Nah. That's not true. 

Graphics are only one part of PS4 vs PS5.

The PS5's new SSD opens up a whole world of freedom when it comes to level design and amount of data that can be pushed.

Take the new Rachet and Clank for example. Because they knew the knew the game would only be played using the PS5's SSD, they could build gameplay mechanics where literally the WHOLE WORLD changes around the player in less than a frame. And they could do that because the SSD was fast enough to support loading that world data that quickly.
However, if they also had to support the PS4, then that is a gameplay mechanic that would never have been considered. It just wouldn't have made it into the game at all.

God of War 2018 already did incredible things in terms of scale. The World Snake was amazing, for example.

But I can't help but imagine how much more amazing these large scale things could be on the PS5, if it didn't also have to run on the PS4.

God of War 2018 also did plenty of clever "walking through a tight space" things to hide level loading. And if the new game only had to be on PS5, that would be unnecessary, and the level designers could explore making levels in new ways. But sadly we are likely going to see those same level design tricks, since this game also has to run on PS4.

• Thanks 1

On 2/22/2022 at 3:51 PM, AshsToAshs said:

Graphics are only one part of PS4 vs PS5.

The PS5's new SSD opens up a whole world of freedom when it comes to level design and amount of data that can be pushed.

Take the new Rachet and Clank for example. Because they knew the knew the game would only be played using the PS5's SSD, they could build gameplay mechanics where literally the WHOLE WORLD changes around the player in less than a frame. And they could do that because the SSD was fast enough to support loading that world data that quickly.
However, if they also had to support the PS4, then that is a gameplay mechanic that would never have been considered. It just wouldn't have made it into the game at all.

God of War 2018 already did incredible things in terms of scale. The World Snake was amazing, for example.

But I can't help but imagine how much more amazing these large scale things could be on the PS5, if it didn't also have to run on the PS4.

God of War 2018 also did plenty of clever "walking through a tight space" things to hide level loading. And if the new game only had to be on PS5, that would be unnecessary, and the level designers could explore making levels in new ways. But sadly we are likely going to see those same level design tricks, since this game also has to run on PS4.

IMO, the biggest difference between PS4 and PS5 Horizon Forbidden West isn't even the graphics side of things (let's be real, base PS4 looks freaking good for such old hardware), but like you're mentioning, the SSD. Not saying there isn't a difference between PS4 and PS5 from a graphics perspective, but it's not what I would consider a "generational leap," although given it's a cross-gen title, I don't believe that was the intention. There's also diminishing returns, but that's another story.

It's as though we are going back to the days when loading up a game on a Super NES, or Sega Saturn literally took a snap of your finger. That is the generational leap I'm expecting again. It's kind of funny in a way. The modern gaming era that Nintendo pioneered in 1983 used Cartridges, then in the 90s, we went with optical media that while added a huge amount of storage potential for cheap, read/write speeds were much slower, and was compounded during the PS3/360 eras, and into the PS4/X1 age continuing to use optical media, plus spinning harddrives. Nowadays, games are becoming more digital again (for better, or worse), SSDs are finally making their mark in the console space, and are kind of going full circle.

It's also because as I get older, my time for gaming becomes more limited, so the less time I spend in loading screens, the better.

14 hours ago, imthesoldier said:

IMO, the biggest difference between PS4 and PS5 Horizon Forbidden West isn't even the graphics side of things (let's be real, base PS4 looks freaking good for such old hardware), but like you're mentioning, the SSD. Not saying there isn't a difference between PS4 and PS5 from a graphics perspective, but it's not what I would consider a "generational leap," although given it's a cross-gen title, I don't believe that was the intention. There's also diminishing returns, but that's another story.

It's as though we are going back to the days when loading up a game on a Super NES, or Sega Saturn literally took a snap of your finger. That is the generational leap I'm expecting again. It's kind of funny in a way. The modern gaming era that Nintendo pioneered in 1983 used Cartridges, then in the 90s, we went with optical media that while added a huge amount of storage potential for cheap, read/write speeds were much slower, and was compounded during the PS3/360 eras, and into the PS4/X1 age continuing to use optical media, plus spinning harddrives. Nowadays, games are becoming more digital again (for better, or worse), SSDs are finally making their mark in the console space, and are kind of going full circle.

It's also because as I get older, my time for gaming becomes more limited, so the less time I spend in loading screens, the better.

Cartridges weren't pioneered by Nintendo. I don't even think Atari was the first use them. I agree with the rest of that though (except ps4 to ps5, the game looks far better on new hardware).

On 2/26/2022 at 5:22 AM, BloodyHell said:

Cartridges weren't pioneered by Nintendo. I don't even think Atari was the first use them. I agree with the rest of that though (except ps4 to ps5, the game looks far better on new hardware).

I misspoke when I said that. I meant to say that Nintendo helped bring back gaming to the masses after the Crash in 1983. Swappable cartridges existed for years prior to the Famicom, and NES, but since it was a tried and true technology, it made sense for Nintendo to use it. Over time, as games went to 16-bits, 32-bits, and above, optical media started to garner more support and interest, but at the expense of read-write speeds compared to cartridges (one of the reasons why Nintendo stuck with it for the N64). And yet, it was far cheaper to manufacture, and had far more storage, so it won out. At that point, loading screens would become more commonplace (loading screens I know existed long before CDs were a thing), and it sort of peaked during the PS3/360 era. Nowadays, we're reverting back to solid-state storage, and with the PS5/XSeries, loading screens are starting to shrink again.

And regarding HFW, it looks better for sure, but it's not the generational leap we typically see from years past. This isn't the old days where different versions of the same game had not only reduced graphical fidelity, but also altered levels, sometimes using entirely different game engines, different sound samples, let alone different kinds of media for storage. It feels more in line with turning down the settings on a PC game from lets say High/Ultra settings to Low/Med settings. That's what I see with comparisons of Base PS4 to PS5.

But I'm also the kind of masochist who is not only able to play Doom Eternal on Switch, but enjoy the fuck out of it, even in handheld mode. So my opinions are going to differ on expectations.

• 7 months later...