U.S. and Mexico Agree to Preliminary NAFTA Deal

2 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

The President didn't like the name NAFTA, so it's being renamed.  Also Trump is really bad using the phone on TV.  lmao

NAFTA is a terrible name. Horrible. No originality. We’re calling it the US-Mexico Trade Agreement. Much better. Strong. Good.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

I'm assuming that the lame duck Mexican government is conducting these discussions with the agreement of the incoming administration that's going to take office in December.  Mexico has an insanely long transition period between election and when the new government takes power.

Yeah wtf is with that? My wife had no idea why they do that when I asked.

48 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

I'm assuming that the lame duck Mexican government is conducting these discussions with the agreement of the incoming administration that's going to take office in December.  Mexico has an insanely long transition period between election and when the new government takes power.

That's a very good point. 

The summary i read had nothing to do with agriculture, just cars requiring a higher percentage of NA parts, metal needed to be from places were workers were paid at least 16$ an hour, and updated for modern things like the internet, lol.  I suppose he means with a new NAFTA agreement Trump's tariffs will be removed and Mexico will then remove theirs, meaning hes taking credit for fixing something he broke to begin with?

4 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Dealmaker in Chief

In remarks Trump wanted to be “off the record,” Trump told Bloomberg News reporters on Thursday, according to a source, that he is not making any compromises at all in the talks with Canada — but that he cannot say this publicly because “it’s going to be so insulting they’re not going to be able to make a deal.”

“Here’s the problem. If I say no — the answer’s no. If I say no, then you’re going to put that, and it’s going to be so insulting they’re not going to be able to make a deal ... I can’t kill these people,” he said of the Canadian government.

In another remark he did not want published, Trump said, according to the source, that the possible deal with Canada would be “totally on our terms.” He suggested he was scaring the Canadians into submission by repeatedly threatening to impose tariffs.

“Off the record, Canada’s working their ass off. And every time we have a problem with a point, I just put up a picture of a Chevrolet Impala,” Trump said, according to the source. The Impala is produced at the General Motors plant in Oshawa, Ontario.

But the Star is not bound by any promises Bloomberg made to Trump. And the remarks immediately became a factor in the negotiations: Trudeau’s officials, who saw them as evidence for their previous suspicions that Trump’s team had not been bargaining in good faith, raised them at the beginning of a meeting with their U.S. counterparts on Friday morning, a U.S. source confirmed.

18 minutes ago, ThreePi said:

The man is a colossal idiot. Why would you even say that? Like "off the record" is some magical phrase to just absolve oneself of responsibility. Like if OJ were to give an interview and lean over and say "Off the record, but I totally killed her."

You just don't understand the 69D tiddlywinks like Trump does.