The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power - Latest: Season 2 commences filming. Set catches fire.

TwinIon

4 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

How did that not end up on the cutting room floor is a mystery to me.

I don't get it either. It looked like something out of a goofy comedy. I get they wanted to show her joy at getting to ride a horse, but goddamn that was not the way to do it. 

42 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

That's PRECISELY the historical analogue that came to my mind as well!

Can't be upset there's black ones either, sad! 

I would love to go there, I understand the blocks from the light tower are still there? I'm not sure how safe Egypt is rn tho 

I've been to Ephesus and the remains of the Mosuleum at Halicarnassus. Near Ephesus there's a house where the virgin Mary supposedly lived before Ascension but I sorta thought it was bs. like it's all bs bs but if she did have a home there it's not that one. 

• Halal 1

14 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

I’ve decided I’m declaring a side in the stranger debate. I think he’s Gandalf. I think Galadriel and Elrond aren’t big enough names from LotR. They’re gonna want a name casual fans from 20 years ago will recognize. 

I'm beginning to lean Gandalf more and more as well. I think recasting Ian McKellen is ballsy as fuck, and I'm not sure I'm down for it, but Gandalf seems to make sense given his particular liking towards Hobbit folk. Perhaps Nori, etc. instill in Gandalf a love for them and a belief that obviously influences his decisions in The Hobbit and LOTR to select Hobbits as heroes.

Edit: the burning of the library of Alexandria I think is one of the saddest things that could have happened in terms of keeping human knowledge.

I’m def not thinking Gandalf yet, but we’ll see. I mean, it makes sense but that’d be the first major change from lore afaik, as Gandalf didn’t arrive until the third age iirc. Maybe I’m misremembering, though.

Also, Halbrand definitely

Spoiler

Isn’t Sauron like I was wondering, but, I kinda think he’s/he’ll become The Witch King now

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I’m def not thinking Gandalf yet, but we’ll see. I mean, it makes sense but that’d be the first major change from lore afaik, as Gandalf didn’t arrive until the third age iirc. Maybe I’m misremembering, though.

Also, Halbrand definitely

Hide contents

Isn’t Sauron like I was wondering, but, I kinda think he’s/he’ll become The Witch King now

Well, I know the video you posted earlier about the blue wizards said otherwise but my understanding is all 5 wizards either came now during the second age or the third age, not just the two blue wizards coming earlier. That was my sense of it at least.

Good episode other then Galadriel not explaining to the Queen what's happening, instead she acted like a horses ass.

I continue to warm up to Sadoc Burrows, who ever created that character deserves a raise because I never would have guessed he wasnt created by Tolkien. Not just a great character but Lenny Henry the actor who portrays him is fantastic.

9 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Well, I know the video you posted earlier about the blue wizards said otherwise but my understanding is all 5 wizards either came now during the second age or the third age, not just the two blue wizards coming earlier. That was my sense of it at least.

So, it’s my understanding that Tolkien initially did say that all 5 arrived in the third age, his last/latest writings (not necessarily last published*) said that the blue wizards arrived in the second age and were the first to arrive in ME. Tolkien also initially said that all of the Wizards except for Gandalf failed in or strayed from their tasks, then later changed it to that the blue wizards did stay true and were working in the east to keep/support the few tribes/groups/what-have-you who were anti-Sauron/Morgoth, to stop the dark lord’s army from becoming too strong and overwhelm the west.

I know there are a few earlier written lines that contradict all this, but, again, to my knowledge the latest writings where Tolkien went into a (little) more detail changed this.

In regards to the Harfoots:

Spoiler

there’s three tribes/types/races of halflings during this time period - the harfoots, fallonhides, and stoors. When the East /Mordor rises under Sauron, the harfoots are first to flee into the west, followed by the fallonhides, then lastly by the stoors. They are less spread out and basically co-mingle to the point that they’re practically a new race; hobbits. Some “houses” of hobbits inherit more traits from one type than others. For example: Merry and Pippin’s house continues traits of the fallonhides iirc

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 1

6 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

So, it’s my understanding that Tolkien initially did say that all 5 arrived in the third age, his last/latest writings (not necessarily last published*) said that the blue wizards arrived in the second age and were the first to arrive in ME. Tolkien also initially said that all of the Wizards except for Gandalf failed in or strayed from their tasks, then later changed it to that the blue wizards did stay true and were working in the east to keep/support the few tribes/groups/what-have-you who were anti-Sauron/Morgoth, to stop the dark lord’s army from becoming too strong and overwhelm the west.

I know there are a few earlier written lines that contradict all this, but, again, to my knowledge the latest writings where Tolkien went into a (little) more detail changed this.

This is my understanding as well, except I didn't know Tolkien was making a distinction in his later writings saying just the two blue wizards came earlier, in the SA. I thought he meant all 5 still. 

22 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Yeah that seems to be more the case - though the show can do what it wants I suppose since it's all vague anyway.

I don't mind the show doing what it wants, as long as there's a point to it and it's not changing something for the sole sake of changing it to where it adds nothing. ie: Faramir and the Ents. Like, if it winds up being Gandalf, I'm not going to be upset in the least as long as they go somewhere with it and it's not just like "SURPRISE!"

• Halal 1

38 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I don't mind the show doing what it wants, as long as there's a point to it and it's not changing something for the sole sake of changing it to where it adds nothing. ie: Faramir and the Ents. Like, if it winds up being Gandalf, I'm not going to be upset in the least as long as they go somewhere with it and it's not just like "SURPRISE!"

Yeah, I agree, so far they've threaded that needle well at least.

• Halal 1

Between the fact that the timeline in Numenor is compressed compared to the Silmarillion (which they do not have the rights to and cannot replicate) and the invention of brand new characters from whole cloth, I have stopped worrying if the show deviates from established lore. Who cares if The Stranger is Gandalf?

Is the story done well and is it compelling?

That's where I fall. And I'm a HUGE Tolkien fan. I just don't think being slavishly linked to the established book plot (such as there is one in the Silmarillion) is going to be better than writing a good story. 

• Halal 3

1 minute ago, CayceG said:

Between the fact that the timeline in Numenor is compressed compared to the Silmarillion (which they do not have the rights to and cannot replicate) and the invention of brand new characters from whole cloth, I have stopped worrying if the show deviates from established lore. Who cares if The Stranger is Gandalf?

That's where I fall. And I'm a HUGE Tolkien fan. 

I agree, it's just Ian McKellen did such a good job as Gandalf it will be hard for me to see anyone else in the role, but I'll live. I think the only reason I even care about the show sticking to established lore is because I want to see the established lore visualized in this medium, because I like the established lore. Deviations are fine, if the show is good it's good, but that'll be a missed opportunity at the same time (luckily, so far so good).

1 hour ago, CayceG said:

That's where I fall. And I'm a HUGE Tolkien fan. I just don't think being slavishly linked to the established book plot (such as there is one in the Silmarillion) is going to be better than writing a good story. 

I'd rather it be one of the Blue Wizards because that, IMO, would be a lot more fun as so little is known of them, not even citing the lore as... 

2 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

if it winds up being Gandalf, I'm not going to be upset in the least as long as they go somewhere with it and it's not just like "SURPRISE!"

6 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I'd rather it be one of the Blue Wizards because that, IMO, would be a lot more fun as so little is known of them, not even citing the lore as... 

Im thinking that as well. If it’s Gandalf I’ll understand and I won’t be disappointed as long as the story is good. But I’d rather it was one of the Blue Wizards or even Radagast since we know so much less about them.