For those with 3000-series GPUs...

Nokra

I'm just curious what has worked for people over the past few months:

How did you actually acquire your GPU? Did you get lucky with getting into a manufacturer's queue? Win a Newegg shuffle? Camp out outside a Best Buy? Pay scalper prices? Offer a blood sacrifice to Satan? :p What was your strategy? 

I purchased a 2080 Super just before the 3xxx series release and used EVGA's step-up program to get my 3080. Ordered the 2080 in September and received my 3080 FTW3 Ultra in November for about the price of shipping. 

My bastard child of a son decided randomly one morning that he wanted a new graphics card and went on Newegg's Shuffle clicked on one of the 3070 FTW3 Ultra and got an email saying he was selected. He had it the next day.

I got an Asus TUF 3080 and I paid the dark (StockX) price. But I managed to get in before prices really exploded so I probably paid maybe a 30% premium over MSRP. On the plus side, GPU prices did explode, I sold my 1080 for way more than it would normally have been worth.

5 hours ago, legend said:

Bought a whole prebuilt PC with one, which worked out because I needed to upgrade my PC at the time anyway. This route *still* works for getting one if you're willing to do a whole PC upgrade.

If I hadn't recently built a new system with a 3900X and 1650 Super about a year ago, I would absolutely be going this route. :/ 

I have had 4 3080s and a 3090

Lined up at Canada Computers launch day and got a 3080.

Got a better one on Newegg last November and sold the first one but it had terrible coil whine so sold it. 

Placed a backorder at Canada computers and got another one couple weeks later and it overclocked like shit 

Got a 3090 and sold that one

Got another 3080 through the EVGA que in August and sold it to my buddy. 

Much more difficult now to get than last fall though. It was pretty easy then but miners fucked that up. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/31/2022 at 3:19 PM, Littleronin said:

3050.jpg

Actually got one for retail price off Newegg for a side build that I have been slowly putting together. But looking at the prices on ebay it is really tempting to try and flip it, I must be honest. 

Did you end up flipping it? I admit to being very tempted when I got my 3070 Ti, but ended up keeping it. From what I hear, things aren't likely to get better any time soon so I'm glad I have a good GPU. 

6 hours ago, Nokra said:

Did you end up flipping it? I admit to being very tempted when I got my 3070 Ti, but ended up keeping it. From what I hear, things aren't likely to get better any time soon so I'm glad I have a good GPU. 

I think I am going to keep it. It really is damn tempting. I only got it for a mini ITX build I am doing so I entered a shuffle the day they released to see if I can get one. Wasn't trying to break the budget with this built since I didn't really need a gpu (just needed a motherboard and ram) but figured a lower powered one might be a nice way to go. 

Yesterday, I got my Alienware delivered with a 3080, 64 gigs of RAM a I9-ridiculously fast processor and a physical gaming girl who arrives to press the power button every morning. It was massively expensive, but I finally decided to just treat myself instead of try to find a card to upgrade my older system. My one problem now is I have no idea what to install to take advantage of this monstrosity.

• Like 1

I've been trying to get a 3080 since launch, but I'm close to giving up. If they keep their release cadence up (which is far from a guarantee given covid + chip shortage), they'll release the 4080 in September. At this point maybe I'll just wait for that.

Then again, that won't be any easier to get, and if I did manage to snag a 4080 close to launch, odds are the 3080 would still be easy to sell, so maybe I'll keep trying.

On 2/8/2022 at 11:50 AM, brucoe said:

Yesterday, I got my Alienware delivered with a 3080, 64 gigs of RAM a I9-ridiculously fast processor and a physical gaming girl who arrives to press the power button every morning. It was massively expensive, but I finally decided to just treat myself instead of try to find a card to upgrade my older system. My one problem now is I have no idea what to install to take advantage of this monstrosity.

A few days later, how are you liking it? What have you played? Did you get an i9-12900k? 

I have so far been kind of an idiot with my 3070 Ti and rather than playing anything new that I own (e.g. GTA V, RDR2, etc.) have mostly just played my old standby, Team Fortress 2. But it sure has been glorious maxed out at 240 FPS with G-Sync! :p

7 hours ago, Nokra said:

A few days later, how are you liking it? What have you played? Did you get an i9-12900k? 

I have so far been kind of an idiot with my 3070 Ti and rather than playing anything new that I own (e.g. GTA V, RDR2, etc.) have mostly just played my old standby, Team Fortress 2. But it sure has been glorious maxed out at 240 FPS with G-Sync! :p

My problem is finding games that are new enough to feel like I'm really pushing my system. Lately, I've been playing Destiny 2 and Lost Ark, but that's just because I need to find some really awesome games to start playing with the new system. It also doesn't help that work is just taking way too much time that should be used for playing games.

On 2/15/2022 at 5:59 AM, brucoe said:

My problem is finding games that are new enough to feel like I'm really pushing my system. Lately, I've been playing Destiny 2 and Lost Ark, but that's just because I need to find some really awesome games to start playing with the new system. It also doesn't help that work is just taking way too much time that should be used for playing games.

Have you played Red Dead Redemption 2? Having that with DLSS enabled should be a good workout for the system.