Teaser Trailer for Pixar’s Lightyear (6/17/22)

Brian

• Brian changed the title to Teaser Trailer for Pixar’s Lightyear (6/17/22)

I must be paying way way less attention to this stuff because I had no idea this was coming and apparently it was announced a while ago...

Anyway, why? What the what is this? This seems like a really bizarre concept for a movie.

Yeah, my brain is hurting... so this is supposed to be the story of the real person, who inspired a line of toys that exist in the past?

Okay, I found this quote...

"At first glance, you might think, 'this is a Toy Story film.' Well, not so fast! See, back when we created the first Toy Story, we designed Buzz Lightyear with the idea that he was a toy based on some really cool character from an epic blockbuster film. Well, all these years later we decided it's time to make that film."

Pixar-Lightyear-Image.jpg
WWW.PIXARPOST.COM

Pixar's film 'Lightyear' will follow the origins of the real-life movie character of Buzz Lightyear - who led to the toy's development - read more.

So this is them going back and making the original film buzz light year toys are based on. Hmmm... okay why not.... I dunno... I'm sure it will be booked-ended by Andy as a little kid going to see the movie...

I mean, I'd rather them make some sort of new cool space Pixar adventure, but I'll watch this I guess...

The next question is... if the toys are based on this movie, then why do all of the bed sheets and posters and video games and other stuff show imagery from the toy line and not the movie? I always felt Buzz felt like he existed as a toy first, not as something based on something else.

Ok, that is an even more strange concept that what I thought it was. I thought it was a biopic of the in world “real life” person that the Buzz toy was based on, but the Buzz toy is actually based off of some character in the in world Michael Bay blockbuster flick.

Swing for the fences, guys

I'm behind on my Pixar. They've released nothing but original movies since Toy Story 4 (which was fantastic), and Soul was my most anticipated, but I just never got around to it yet. That needs to be next.

As far as this goes, I think it's a cool concept and that was a mighty intriguing trailer.

10 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Ok, that is an even more strange concept that what I thought it was. I thought it was a biopic of the in world “real life” person that the Buzz toy was based on, but the Buzz toy is actually based off of some character in the in world Michael Bay blockbuster flick.

Swing for the fences, guys

That was actually my understanding as well. That's OK, though, because I'm totally on board for weirdo spinoffs like this.

2 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I thought it was a joke at first. It’s kind of breaking my brain a little. Why? Who asked for this? 

Toy Story came out long enough ago that people that liked it when they were young have kids, so… get them and get their kids. It makes sense.

Behold, one of the 5 most important news stories on 10/28/21 according to Fox News.

The first big quote from a fan was posted on twitter by a user with 3 followers.

Chris-Evans-Tim-Allen.jpg?ve=1&tl=1
WWW.FOXNEWS.COM

"Lightyear," a "Toy Story" spinoff, has sparked a political debate over the recasting of its main character with Chris Evans, a liberal star. Tim Allen, one of Hollywood's outspoken conservatives, previously played the character.

1 minute ago, number305 said:

My guess in regards to the backstory and where this movie fits in the toy story universe... Don't put too much effort in thinking about it.  It will probably be an enjoyable movie.

That part is easy to put together. This is a movie that, like, Andy and his mom went to watch in theaters. The Buzz Lightyear toy that was hot the summer of the first Toy Story movie is a toy based on that movie.

Pixar is just making the Buzz source material real. This would be no different than if Pixar made an actual series called Woody's Roundup that was supposed to be the TV series Woody was based on.

It's like Kill Bill being the movie that the characters in the Pulp Fiction world watch.

5 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

That part is easy to put together. This is a movie that, like, Andy and his mom went to watch in theaters. The Buzz Lightyear toy that was hot the summer of the first Toy Story movie is a toy based on that movie.

Pixar is just making the Buzz source material real. This would be no different than if Pixar made an actual series called Woody's Roundup that was supposed to be the TV series Woody was based on.

It's like Kill Bill being the movie that the characters in the Pulp Fiction world watch.

Yup.  That is the simple version that people should accept to enjoy it.  People are going to get into knots if they try to figure out why xyz was never referenced -  or where does the buzz lightyear cartoon fit in, or why wasn't there a toy of his sidekick etc.  

41 minutes ago, ort said:

Behold, one of the 5 most important news stories on 10/28/21 according to Fox News.

The first quote from a twitter user is from a guy with 3 followers.

WWW.FOXNEWS.COM

"Lightyear," a "Toy Story" spinoff, has sparked a political debate over the recasting of its main character with Chris Evans, a liberal star. Tim Allen, one of Hollywood's outspoken conservatives, previously played the character.

I guess Fox forgot that Tim Allen said that Jan 6th was embarrassing for conservatives, they really need their own Kevin Feige to help manage the Fox Cinematic Universe, Marvel would never be this shoddy.

4 hours ago, ort said:

The first big quote from a fan was posted on twitter by a user with 3 followers.

WWW.FOXNEWS.COM

I’m not surprised Fox is running with this story/angle. 

could be many reasons. Tim Allen may not have been interested. May not have liked the direction. Disney may have wanted somebody that could play the role with more thoughtfulness and seriousness than Tim is capable of conveying, even as a voice.

There’s also sounding like a certain age. I always remember Kevin Conroy discussion voice a Batman who’s different ages from each other. Voicing a 20 year old Batman has to have a different energy, enthusiasm, wisdom, tone of voice from a Batman in his 30s, 50’s, 80s. 

Last Man Standing was dropped by ABC in 2017 for what people and Tim believed was his politics. Meanwhile Toy Story 4 came out in 2019. So maybe Tim was a real ass during the production and press of TS4, and Disney just doesn’t want to go through all that again. 

2 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I’m not surprised Fox is running with this story/angle. 

could be many reasons. Tim Allen may not have been interested. May not have liked the direction. Disney may have wanted somebody that could play the role with more thoughtfulness and seriousness than Tim is capable of conveying, even as a voice.

There’s also sounding like a certain age. I always remember Kevin Conroy discussion voice a Batman who’s different ages from each other. Voicing a 20 year old Batman has to have a different energy, enthusiasm, wisdom, tone of voice from a Batman in his 30s, 50’s, 80s. 

Last Man Standing was dropped by ABC in 2017 for what people and Tim believed was his politics. Meanwhile Toy Story 4 came out in 2019. So maybe Tim was a real ass during the production and press of TS4, and Disney just doesn’t want to go through all that again. 

I feel like it was the performance aspect. Tim is not a nuanced actor. Chris Evans is far more capable in this regard.

41 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

shouldn’t the set design, costumes, and special effects match the time period of the early 90s then? ;)

THAT right there is the only mistake this movie makes. I was actually going to point this out, but it seemed way to obscure and some people were already confused over what this movie was.

I would so have loved it if this were the case, but I'm not sure how they pull it off in full Pixar CG. It would probably be easier to fake 60s or 70s special effects over 90s effects. For Andy, Jurassic Park came out a couple of years before Lightyear. Maybe this movie is doing most of its heavy lifting with some of the best "practical" effects ever.

On 10/29/2021 at 11:34 AM, Ghost_MH said:

THAT right there is the only mistake this movie makes. I was actually going to point this out, but it seemed way to obscure and some people were already confused over what this movie was.

I would so have loved it if this were the case, but I'm not sure how they pull it off in full Pixar CG. It would probably be easier to fake 60s or 70s special effects over 90s effects. For Andy, Jurassic Park came out a couple of years before Lightyear. Maybe this movie is doing most of its heavy lifting with some of the best "practical" effects ever.

I mean they did have the 2D animated Buzz Lightyear movie that seemed like it was meant to be not about the toy, but what the toy was inspired by. 

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

So, often the backlash on the internet to something isn’t real, but the conservative backlash to a lesbian couple kissing in this film seems to be quite real.

Regional sales data is pretty compelling here and explains why Lightyear was so far off projections. I’ve never had as many whiny posts and messages on our theater FB pages as with this film and the kiss.

We’ve been insta-banning anybody who throws the word grooming out there. Don’t want that nonsense.

5 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

So, often the backlash on the internet to something isn’t real, but the conservative backlash to a lesbian couple kissing in this film seems to be quite real.

Regional sales data is pretty compelling here and explains why Lightyear was so far off projections. I’ve never had as many whiny posts and messages on our theater FB pages as with this film and the kiss.

We e been insta-banning anybody who throws the word grooming out there. Don’t want that nonsense.

How is the movie, though? 

Because everyone I talk to that has seen it, including my gay brother in law and his husband, just seems to think it wasn't a very good pixar movie? 

My biggest turnoff was Hemsworth as the voice. Every time I see a commercial and buzz speeks, it just seems wrong. 

But you're definitely right, theres a right-wing backlash to this film that is absurd.

I haven’t had time to watch it, but it has generally been well received by my patrons.

The voice is another piece of the completely manufactured opposition by right wing folks. They claim that Chris Evan’s “replaced” Tim Allen due to his politics, which is just false. You can disagree with the decision, but it was an artistic one.