Anyone ever tried stand up comedy?

gamer.tv

Like most people, I like laughing and feel like I have the capacity to make other people laugh.

I just wanted to know, anyone give it a go? How hard is it to actually write something funny? Is it fun to perform or does the fun come from the fear of performing and the success afterwards?

There are more questions, but I’ll wait until I’ve found someone to actually ask.

28 minutes ago, gamer.tv said:

Like most people, I like laughing and feel like I have the capacity to make other people laugh.

I just wanted to know, anyone give it a go? How hard is it to actually write something funny? Is it fun to perform or does the fun come from the fear of performing and the success afterwards?

There are more questions, but I’ll wait until I’ve found someone to actually ask.

There’sa comedy club near me that teaches people to create bits, and yeah, it’s hard. There’s a rhythm to stand up comedy and a craft to it; it can take you a year at first to create 10 minutes of material. I make my friends laugh all the time, but stand up requires you to learn the basics.

Which hey! Plenty have done it.

One thing so can tell you that a lot of shitty comics don’t do well, is to stretch the tension as far as you can before the release of the punchline typically. Someone like Norm was the master of that. Think of it like edging, you want to get them just about ready to burst for almost too long and then finally give them the release that they crave.

2 minutes ago, Rachel said:

Never done it and I don’t think I’m up for it. But kudos to those who are! If you’re interested why not take a class and/or do some research online and see how you feel. 

I’ve had a look at the latter and really have no time to do anything like a class, at least not until the summer holidays.

Yes, but with the caveat that I was drunk out of my mind and my friends took my condition as an opportunity to take me to a strip club. Strip clubs are not for me, so I decided to make my debut on stage. It went poorly. I was hauled out bodily. I ate dirt hard. Overall, a pretty good night! 

• Haha 1

Just now, Mr.Vic20 said:

Yes, but with the caveat that I was drunk out of my mind and my friends took my condition as an opportunity to take me to a strip club. Strip clubs are not for me, so I decided to make my debut on stage. It went poorly. I was hauled out bodily. I ate dirt hard. Overall, a pretty good night! 

WHEN. DOES. YOUR. BOOK. COME. OUT.

• Haha 1
  • True 1

2 hours ago, stepee said:

One thing so can tell you that a lot of shitty comics don’t do well, is to stretch the tension as far as you can before the release of the punchline typically. Someone like Norm was the master of that. Think of it like edging, you want to get them just about ready to burst for almost too long and then finally give them the release that they crave.

We’re talking comedians, not drug dealers!

I've never done it. I like public speaking and think I do well when I have to present, including to crowds of hundreds or a maybe 1,000 people as the largest audience, but I don't think I'd be able to do stand up competently at all. I wouldn't mind bombing, I just don't think I'd be any good at it.

I tried it for a while a couple years ago. It's really, really hard. Luckily my roommate at the time was a "successful" (emphasis on the quotation marks) comic and I got coached through a lot, but like... I worked for MONTHS to get a routine that got like a decent amount of laughs and only lasted like 5 minutes. And by the time I got that routine nailed down, I *hated* it. I thought it was the worst shit ever. Turns out if you say the same joke to yourself over and over and over again, it starts to suck. I can't imagine practicing a routine that's like an hour long or whatever.

(if anyone's curious, about 3 of the 5 minutes I dialed down was this bit I did about almost getting into a figh with a homeless man over something stupid)

I now have a much greater respect for what comics do. Like, any time you think they're going off the cuff... they're not. Everything they say is rehearsed 1000 times. It's not any different than playing music. Or really any other creative endeavor. My problem with almost every creative endeavor I've ever done is that by the time I feel like it might be ready for public consumption, I think it's fucking garbage. Like I've been nitpicking at it for the last 6 months, I can replay it in my head at will and gringe at everything, not realizing that the audience doens't necessarily have that same handicap.