God of War Ragnarök - Information Thread, update: initial OpenCritic reviews of Valhalla DLC posted

Commissar SFLUFAN

It kinda infuriates me how little of a difference my gear seems to make. I’m level 6 with level 9 armor. And my weapons, runes etc are near maxed out. But I swear if these enemies are just level scaling right along with you making it pointless to even loot or upgrade anything. 🤷‍♂️

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished. Clocked in at just under 40 hours. Not even close to 100%. Towards the end(from Hel and the wolf onwards) the story picks up so much I kinda started pushing through it cutting back on side stuff. 

This is easily the greatest video game story I’ve ever experience. Just my opinion. Other games have had maybe greater individual moments but from start to finish, the entire Arc of Kratos is brilliant. This is also the only game other than Last of Us 1 that had a moment where I just wanted to stop. The story reaching such an isolated wonderful moment with a heavy sense of dread following that I didn’t want to move forward for the characters sake. 

So i guess there’s a shitload of story still left to find? I know there’s something that unlocks if you 100% the game but I’m not sure I’ve got the patience to go and do that. There’s other good story stuff too or just YouTube it?

• Like 2
  • Halal 1

17 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

Just finished. Clocked in at just under 40 hours. Not even close to 100%. Towards the end(from Hel and the wolf onwards) the story picks up so much I kinda started pushing through it cutting back on side stuff. 

This is easily the greatest video game story I’ve ever experience. Just my opinion. Other games have had maybe greater individual moments but from start to finish, the entire Arc of Kratos is brilliant. This is also the only game other than Last of Us 1 that had a moment where I just wanted to stop. The story reaching such an isolated wonderful moment with a heavy sense of dread following that I didn’t want to move forward for the characters sake. 

So i guess there’s a shitload of story still left to find? I know there’s something that unlocks if you 100% the game but I’m not sure I’ve got the patience to go and do that. There’s other good story stuff too or just YouTube it?

I don't think there's anything for 100%ing the game if you mean via trophies.

After you finish the story, however, several post-main story missions open up, and two particular ones are very important for the story. One isn't really a mission and it's obvious what it is, but you should do it for the story's sake, but one is REALLY important and unexpected. I recommend steering clear of open spoiler topics online on it. My suggestion to unlock this mission is 

Spoiler

do the remnants of Asgard stuff, and as you're doing it, read the lore/notes you find. They'll tell you where to find a couple other side things, REALLY important, that aren't marked on the map. And it's not subtle -- they're very clearly saying certain locations are important.

Also, some of the most fun bosses are optional post-game ones. One of those is also one you discover by doing what I suggested in the spoiler.

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I don't think there's anything for 100%ing the game if you mean via trophies.

After you finish the story, however, several post-main story missions open up, and two particular ones are very important for the story. One isn't really a mission and it's obvious what it is, but you should do it for the story's sake, but one is REALLY important and unexpected. I recommend steering clear of open spoiler topics online on it. My suggestion to unlock this mission is 

Reveal hidden contents

Also, some of the most fun bosses are optional post-game ones. One of those is also one you discover by doing what I suggested in the spoiler.

Thank you. I was too lazy to write all that!

I beat it twice and it's one of the best games ever made.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to God of War: Ragnarök (09 November 2022) - Information Thread, update: 11 million units "sold through" to consumers
On 1/24/2023 at 9:45 PM, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

For Odin's sake, Vanaheim is just too damned big for its own good.

It's not too big per se, but it is absolutely overtuned. Day / night cycle, dangerous flora, too segmented, etc.

The only real sins this game commits are it being overstuffed and the ending being absolutely rushed, but they're minor ones overall.

• True 1

• 4 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Damn this game won't end... thought I was close to the end so I wanted to do one more side mission

Reveal hidden contents

and it opened up a whole new area. @Commissar SFLUFAN did you ever finish this? 

I just finished that area yesterday and it took me several hours to complete it!  Honestly, it's probably the best area in the entire game...and it's completely optional/missable!  Now, I can move on to actually finishing the bloody game!

Also,

Spoiler

it's a dog, not a pig :p

• Like 1
  • Halal 1

16 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I just finished that area yesterday and it took me several hours to complete it!  Honestly, it's probably the best area in the entire game...and it's completely optional/missable!  Now, I can move on to actually finishing the bloody game!

yeah I was surprised that this was optional... I came REALLY close to skipping it entirely. Also 

Spoiler

My bad about the dog/pig thing

:D

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Damn this game won't end... thought I was close to the end so I wanted to do one more side mission

Reveal hidden contents

21 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I loved that area. Minus the day/night switching. 

I can honestly say that area is BY FAR the highlight of the game so far for me.  I feel that the relatively unstructured design is exactly what the team was aiming for with this evolution of the God of  War series

I genuinely get the sense that this area was originally intended as post-release DLC, but the team decided to incorporate it into the base game as an optional area as that would allow them to make a clean break from God of War and move on to Sony Santa Monica's next project.

• Halal 2

22 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Hide contents

following a pig

22 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Also,

Hide contents

it's a dog, not a pig :p

It’s one of the most raved areas. What I find fascinating is it’s cool to stumble upon this area… yet there are some areas within that area that are cool to stumble upon such as 

Spoiler

The wishing well.

skillz I recommend not clicking the spoiler :p 

23 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Finally beat the boss of this area and moved on. I'm sure I missed some stuff but I'm ready to wrap this game up. Maybe on the next playthrough.

you’re very close. I think my next play through after that was when I finished it. Granted that playthrough was like 4 hours long because the end is compelling as fuck and I didn’t want to put it down haha. 

1 hour ago, Mercury33 said:

you’re very close. I think my next play through after that was when I finished it. Granted that playthrough was like 4 hours long because the end is compelling as fuck and I didn’t want to put it down haha. 

Yeah i'm resisting the urge to do anymore sidequests... the game is pretty much telling me I have one more chance to do them before end game. Still some unexplored areas I could check out.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/12/2023 at 9:16 PM, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Four months/76 hours later, I have Platinum'd God of War: Ragnarok :dab:

It's probably because of my depressed emotional state, but I definitely cried more times than I really should admit during the final parts of the game :cry:

Ooo, please elaborate on the story and what scenes struck that chord.

This is definitely a great game that I under-rate just because it didn’t completely blow me away with my sky high expectations after GOW being my favorite game of last gen.  I think I wanted something that would have been a ps5 only sequel and instead got a more direct ps4 sequel with upgrades and that was never going to hit me the same way.

I feel like I’ll appreciate it more in the inevitable replay some day.