God of War Ragnarök - Information Thread, update: initial OpenCritic reviews of Valhalla DLC posted

Commissar SFLUFAN

32 minutes ago, stepee said:

This is definitely a great game that I under-rate just because it didn’t completely blow me away with my sky high expectations after GOW being my favorite game of last gen.  I think I wanted something that would have been a ps5 only sequel and instead got a more direct ps4 sequel with upgrades and that was never going to hit me the same way.

I feel like I’ll appreciate it more in the inevitable replay some day.

It's definitely an upgrade and not an evolution. Also I felt like the main story was paced weirdly in order to pad the game for length. It did pick up in the final act, but I enjoyed the game more for its exploration and gameplay than the story personally.

• True 1
  • Halal 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to God of War: Ragnarök - Information Thread, update: New Game Plus patch released, includes increased level cap and enemy adjustments
On 4/5/2023 at 2:10 PM, SaysWho? said:

Ooo, please elaborate on the story and what scenes struck that chord.

Anything involving the wolves really hit me hard, especially the opening of the game which I was simply not ready to experience only a few months after helping Inuk cross the Rainbow Bridge.

As a whole, the game for me reflected a persistent sense of melancholy and loss that was only heightened by my emotional condition.

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Hugs 1

2 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Anything involving the wolves really hit me hard, especially the opening of the game which I was simply not ready to experience only a few months after helping Inuk cross the Rainbow Bridge.

As a whole, the game for me reflected a persistent sense of melancholy and loss that was only heightened by my emotional condition.

That part really hurt. :(:cry:

Although 

Spoiler

seeing him come back the way he did made me so fucking happy. <3 

• True 2

• 2 months later...

i barely played this when it came out because my stepdad passed away the same week it released. getting back into this now, i left off where i had just 

Spoiler

rescued tyr 

now i’m about 17 hours in and my favorite thing about the game has been 

Spoiler

everything freya. did all the side stuff with her in Vanaheim and enjoyed it all a lot. 

i’m not crazy about 

Spoiler

playing as atreus as much as i am. i really love the blades of chaos so it’s a big step down and i just like kratos  i’m currently at the part where i’m on a mission with fuckin thor so we’ll see where it goes from here  

• 4 months later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to God of War: Ragnarök - Information Thread, update: "Midgard Mishaps 2" pre-release bugs video
5 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:

I hate that I have to either fight this boss with a depleted rage bar or wait while recharging it. Because it saved right before the boss, and every time I retry the fight, it's depleted again. For some bosses, it'll go back to a full bar when you try again.

Also, I'm stuck at this side quest boss or restarting the entire game.

If it’s a side boss, try coming back.

• 4 weeks later...

BLOG.PLAYSTATION.COM

The free content features an unraveling and repayable adventure with unique twists inspired by the roguelite genre.

Journey to Valhalla

God of War Ragnarök: Valhalla will be an epilogue to the events of God of War Ragnarök that follows Kratos on a deeply personal and reflective journey.

Set after the decisive battle against Odin and Atreus’ departure, Kratos has seen a path for himself that he never thought possible before. Brought to the mysterious shores of Valhalla accompanied only by Mimir, Kratos will enter its unknown depths to overcome trials within himself and face echoes of his past.

Journey to Valhalla

God of War Ragnarök: Valhalla will be an epilogue to the events of God of War Ragnarök that follows Kratos on a deeply personal and reflective journey.

Set after the decisive battle against Odin and Atreus’ departure, Kratos has seen a path for himself that he never thought possible before. Brought to the mysterious shores of Valhalla accompanied only by Mimir, Kratos will enter its unknown depths to overcome trials within himself and face echoes of his past.

Fight, learn, grow

In Valhalla, defeat in combat is not the end of a warrior’s spirit. If Kratos falls, he will reawaken outside the doors ready for the next try. During each attempt, you will learn and adapt to the challenges Valhalla has to offer. The more you overcome, the more resources you’ll gain that can be put towards permanent upgrades

that affect both Kratos and even Valhalla itself.

Accumulating rewards and knowledge during your attempts will help you get ever closer to discovering the mysteries that await Kratos within.

Master Valhalla, master thyself

The shore of Valhalla humbles all those who wish to enter. Kratos must cast off his armor and equipment, and instead build towards both per-attempt and permanent rewards.

Kratos will have access to all his weapons and fully-upgraded skill trees at all times, but must commit to a shield and path of Spartan Rage for each attempt. As you overcome the trials of Valhalla and explore its depths, you will make choices between temporary Glyphs for which Stats to upgrade, which Perks to select, which Runic Attacks to wield, and more. Each attempt can play out differently based on the rewards you choose, so keep your strategy in mind when making selections!

Wise preparation, adaptability to the challenge at hand, and command of your abilities will be the keys to mastery.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to God of War: Ragnarök - Information Thread, update: "Valhalla" free roguelike DLC releases on 12 December 2024

WWW.THEGAMER.COM

God of War Ragnarok Valhalla's director has tasked fans with completing a challenge that was too tough for even the devs to handle.

God of War Ragnarok's recently announced free Valhalla DLC is finally here, giving us a new roguelike mode to dive into that acts as an epilogue for Kratos' journey. While there are plenty of cool story surprises along the way, which we won't get into here to avoid spoiling things for you, many God of War fans are reveling in the added challenge that the mode has brought with it.

In fact, it's so tough that the DLC's director, Mihir Sheth, has claimed that it includes an endgame challenge so difficult that nobody on the development team at Santa Monica has managed to overcome it. Sheth explained in a recent Twitter post (thanks GamesRadar) that while plenty of people managed to best the challenge on lower difficulties, the newly implemented "Show Me Mastery" difficulty mode is where devs came up against a brick wall.

11 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Not fun. The base game was hard enough and if the dev team can't beat it is it even balanced?

I play all my games on the easiest difficult now because my skills completely diminished. 

They hit a brick wall on the new hardest difficultly, not the mode in general.

Just now, best3444 said:

Do you think they had play testers that best on the new difficulty level?

No idea! But especially in rogue likes I strongly suspect the hardest challenges are almost never beat by devs, but do get beat by the community. The nice thing about roguelikes is they often have a good way to slide the challenge curve up quite far.

• Halal 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to God of War: Ragnarök - Information Thread, update: Valhalla DLC - first 19 minutes of gameplay
Just now, best3444 said:

What will the PC version offer over the PS5 version? 

Better than 4k res with dlaa at a locked 120fps and then other stuff, it’s not announced yet so we don’t know. Sometimes Sony adds a lot, sometimes not so much. God of War maxed out on a desktop pc adds better lighting etc.

1 minute ago, stepee said:

Better than 4k res with dlaa at a locked 120fps and then other stuff, it’s not announced yet so we don’t know. Sometimes Sony adds a lot, sometimes not so much. God of War maxed out on a desktop pc adds better lighting etc.

Ok, nice. I thought you were waiting for FPS increase but imo it runs amazing on PS5. 60fps or higher I'm assuming. 

It actually runs mostly around 80fps in the unlocked vrr performance mode, at about 1440p, which is how I played it. But it’ll still be 40fps more at double the frame rate with all graphic features bumped up at the minimum. Also I just like having stuff on pc, it’ll always look better in time there. 

Something to think about that’s cool when you are buying games for deck. In the future say if you have a gaming pc next gen and an 8k tv by then. You can play GOW, RSR2 etc at 8k 120fps and then they will all look wonderful again.