God of War Ragnarök - Information Thread, update: initial OpenCritic reviews of Valhalla DLC posted

Commissar SFLUFAN

5 minutes ago, stepee said:

It actually runs mostly around 80fps in the unlocked vrr performance mode, at about 1440p, which is how I played it. But it’ll still be 40fps more at double the frame rate with all graphic features bumped up at the minimum. Also I just like having stuff on pc, it’ll always look better in time there. 

Something to think about that’s cool when you are buying games for deck. In the future say if you have a gaming pc next gen and an 8k tv by then. You can play GOW, RSR2 etc at 8k 120fps and then they will all look wonderful again.

I'm definitely trying to get a gaming PC next gen along with a 8K TV. I will game on my TV like I did years ago. I will need the holy trinity's help from you, spork, and vic.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

No point waiting. Play now Here I just bought it for you

It’s cool it’s free! But the point is more to have some new content to play while checking out Santa Monica’s art in a higher fidelity. I like to leave a little content on Sony games since I can’t wait to play them but I know I’ll be getting the pc port. Just like I save Burning Shores which I get to play soon  at ridiculous fidelity!

6 minutes ago, stepee said:

It’s cool it’s free! But the point is more to have some new content to play while checking out Santa Monica’s art in a higher fidelity. I like to leave a little content on Sony games since I can’t wait to play them but I know I’ll be getting the pc port. Just like I save Burning Shores which I get to play soon  at ridiculous fidelity!

Hate to be a negative nacy again but Burning Shores is not good at all. In fact,  Forbidden West in general sucks compared to part 1. 

3 minutes ago, stepee said:

Well since you didn’t like FW and I loved it, that bodes well for Burning Shores for my tastes!

Very true. It reviewed very good. I might retry that now that I have some free time. Sometimes when I have limited time with games I quit on them early if they don't hook me. I did beat FW and it's an 8/10 game imo. The first is more like a 9.

• Halal 1

Some initial reviews from OpenCritic:

Game Information

Game Title: God of War Ragnarok: Valhalla

Platforms:

• PlayStation 5 (Dec 13, 2023)

Publisher: Sony Interactive Entertainment

Review Aggregator:
OpenCritic - -1 average - -1% recommended

Critic Reviews
Seasoned Gaming - Alex Segovia - 9.5 / 10

Sony Santa Monica did incredible work with this, and if you have ever liked the God of War franchise at any point, I can’t imagine a better love letter for the fans.

But Why Tho? - Mick Abrahamson - 9 / 10

Even if you don’t like roguelikes, do yourself a favor and don’t miss this DLC for what still may be one of the greatest action series ever made.

Push Square - Stephen Tailby - 8 / 10

God of War Ragnarok: Valhalla is a brilliant addition to a brilliant game. Not only does it remix the core title's combat in a compelling, highly replayable roguelite mode, it does so with Santa Monica's usual cinematic style, weaving in meaningful story that'll keep you hooked while it lasts. Fans of the series really shouldn't pass on this - and, because it's totally free, there's no reason to do so.

Digital Trends - Tomas Franzese - The Epilogue This Series Deserves

God of War Ragnarok: Valhalla isn't just a fun free DLC; it's a fitting epilogue to the entire God of War series.

Press Start - Kieron Verbrugge - I Can't Believe God of War Ragnarok: Valhalla Is Free

Kratos is here to contemplate his future purpose and learns to forgive himself for his past deeds while still acknowledging and learning from them, making for a potent mix of the Greek and Norse sides of the franchise with some returning characters, locations and other bits that I wouldn’t want to spoil. It’s a treat for longtime fans as well as a very appreciated bit of history for those who jumped on in recent entries.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to God of War Ragnarök - Information Thread, update: initial OpenCritic reviews of Valhalla DLC posted
On 12/13/2023 at 12:57 PM, stepee said:

I’m hoping in two years is when we will get 8k oled’s that don’t have a price of “you are just a fucking idiot if you buy this”

I kinda question the value of 8k considering how good of a job DLSS does at cleaning up aliasing while retaining image clarity/quality vs traditional AA. Prior to upscaling tech being this damn good 8k and (especially) 12k resolutions were an awesome goal in the fight against aliasing, but it currently doesn’t seem as big of a deal. I dunno.

:shrug:

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

I kinda question the value of 8k considering how good of a job DLSS does at cleaning up aliasing while retaining image clarity/quality vs traditional AA. Prior to upscaling tech being this damn good 8k and (especially) 12k resolutions were an awesome goal in the fight against aliasing, but it currently doesn’t seem as big of a deal. I dunno.

:shrug:

So maybe I can still use my 4K OLED display next gen? That would be ideal. 

12 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I really doubt that the next consoles will be rendering at 8k tbh. Even before FSR they aren’t doing 4k most of the time currently 

Well I'm getting a PC next gen to play on a TV. So from what I got from your post is that 4K will still be adequate. 

4 hours ago, best3444 said:

I was obviously kidding. I'm just not a skilled gamer so I play my games now on the easiest difficulty. I did do better than I thought I would in Elden Ring but I could never beat the game. 

You could if you learned how accept jolly cooperation. That's how I got through the game. Multi-player help will take you a looooooong way in that game if you aren't as skilled as youd like or once were

2 minutes ago, eventide11 said:

You could if you learned how accept jolly cooperation. That's how I got through the game. Multi-player help will take you a looooooong way in that game if you aren't as skilled as youd like or once were

Oh, I absolutely used the multiplayer aspect on the main bosses. 

I’ve never actually gamed on a 8ktv to be able to comment on any improvement but upscaling also makes that a lot more attainable, you can use ultra performance dlss if you do 8k and I do expect consoles next gen to have actual AI upscaling similar to what nvidia offers. Does it matter vs just using a higher internal res and upscaling to 4k? Probably not much on 65”. But I think 8k will be the time to move up to 77”.

• Shocked 1