Marvel's "What If...?" First episode came out today

55 minutes ago, brucoe said:

There are two reasons I don't care about this series:

1. "What If" makes it appear that the episodes of are no importance whatsoever. I prefer Marvel for its continuity and how it builds its universe. Having a show that's dedicated to stuff that doesn't happen seems a waste of time to me.

2. I hate cartoon content. I know a lot of people don't, but it's the reason I ignore tons of content that comes out from Star Wars. It's mostly for children and written that way which turns me off completely. It's why I have such a hard time taking cartoon content seriously. I think the only real cartoon content I've seen that engaged me was the old movie Wizards, and that's mainly because it took itself seriously.

Again, I know a lot of people feel otherwise, and I'm fine with that. That just means such content is for you. Not for me.

Half Baked Reaction GIF

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, brucoe said:

There are two reasons I don't care about this series:

1. "What If" makes it appear that the episodes of are no importance whatsoever. I prefer Marvel for its continuity and how it builds its universe. Having a show that's dedicated to stuff that doesn't happen seems a waste of time to me.

2. I hate cartoon content. I know a lot of people don't, but it's the reason I ignore tons of content that comes out from Star Wars. It's mostly for children and written that way which turns me off completely. It's why I have such a hard time taking cartoon content seriously. I think the only real cartoon content I've seen that engaged me was the old movie Wizards, and that's mainly because it took itself seriously.

Again, I know a lot of people feel otherwise, and I'm fine with that. That just means such content is for you. Not for me.

So you have no interest in this and you decided to post in it and let everyone know that you have no interest in it and why you have no interest in it.

Fantastic post 

4 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

So you have no interest in this and you decided to post in it and let everyone know that you have no interest in it and why you have no interest in it.

Fantastic post 

Just because I don't care for the concept doesn't mean I don't have an opinion on the subject. I don't remember ever reading a rule that says you have to be pro something in order to have an opinion on something. I'm EXTREMELY interested in superheroes and Marvel in particular. Therefore, that might constitute a reason why I might actually chime in on the current content they are putting out as official material.

24 minutes ago, brucoe said:

Just because I don't care for the concept doesn't mean I don't have an opinion on the subject. I don't remember ever reading a rule that says you have to be pro something in order to have an opinion on something. I'm EXTREMELY interested in superheroes and Marvel in particular. Therefore, that might constitute a reason why I might actually chime in on the current content they are putting out as official material.

You don’t have to be pro but you haven’t even seen or won’t see it so your not con , you added nothing other then cartoons are for kids. 

I watched the first and half of the second episode. I think the concepts are pretty boring. What If's don't have to be though. You can use it to better explore how the hero's we know are impacted on a character-level by specific events, which in turn gives more insight to the version we know. The first two seem like random dart board choices and are too throwaway.

This week's episode is more of what I want to see. It's not all boring fan fiction trash.

Weirdly, when I googled the episodes, most results I glanced over were all talking about how this week's episode is boring.:lol:

To me, the last two were kind of boring. They were like 75% fan fiction that didn't feel like anything was actually happening. This week's episode was actually its own story, and the ending leaves me actually wanting to know what happens next.

I am undecided on how they choose to "rehash" beats, dialogue, and scenes from the movies.  I feel like they do it a little too much (for a 30 minute episode), and feels like they are trying to cater to our nostalgia rather than using it to build that timeline's own different story. I found this week's to be the best so far, but it still does this, and I just want to see them go further down the tangents.

7 hours ago, johnny said:

based off this episode antman could have flown inside thanos and exploded him 

I mean... the physics of ant-man have always been "don't worry about it." He retains the same mass, except when he doesn't. He can ride on the back of a 100mg ant and also punch someone in the face with apparently the same mass of a grown man. Also when he's big he can like tear rip up vehicles and shit.

Ant-Man's superpower is plot convenience. It's one of those things that I have just chosen to accept.

18 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

People aren’t handled the extent to which Ant-Man and The Wasp could rinse most of the Avengers by themselves.

Depending on what they need for the plot. They literally will have him running along the barrel of a gun (mass of an ant) before punching someone in the face (mass of a man) before falling to the ground (mass of an ant) etc etc etc.

His powers make no sense whatsoever. Not that I'm complaining, it's just his powers are the most clearly "plot powers" in the MCU.

Just now, Fizzzzle said:

Depending on what they need for the plot. They literally will have him running along the barrel of a gun (mass of an ant) before punching someone in the face (mass of a man) before falling to the ground (mass of an ant) etc etc etc.

His powers make no sense whatsoever. Not that I'm complaining, it's just his powers are the most clearly "plot powers" in the MCU.

Everyone’s powers are plot powers though and they always are. Ant-Man’s are more “convenient” than other people’s, but they are all contrivance. Lots of ink spilled in the comics about how Peter Parker pulls punches when he’s fighting his enemies, or else he’d OHKO just about all of his rogues gallery. His spider sense works except for when it doesn’t, etc.

Another strong episode this week, and I like how dark the past 2 have been. Plus we got everyone reprising their role and doing a great job with it. I’m high af watching it and I’ll admit got emotionally touching at times, not tears, but tugged at the heart strings. I think it’s because we have all had their own “one moment” like Steven goes through.

So keep it up guys, and don’t be afraid to keep me feeling down as well in the end.

On 8/23/2021 at 6:51 AM, brucoe said:

. I hate cartoon content. I know a lot of people don't, but it's the reason I ignore tons of content that comes out from Star Wars. It's mostly for children and written that way which turns me off completely. It's why I have such a hard time taking cartoon content seriously. I think the only real cartoon content I've seen that engaged me was the old movie Wizards, and that's mainly because it took itself seriously.

I recommended the series to my mom who LOVES the Marvel Universe stuff (maybe even more than I do) particularly after this week's episode because she is a huge Black Panther fan and she feels the same way. She just can't get pass the animated aspect of the show despite most of the characters being voiced by the original actors. I was a little surprised she felt that way to be honest.

On 8/11/2021 at 6:07 PM, Greatoneshere said:

I've had this worry the moment Marvel started discussing time travel and multiverses and when DC started discussing Flash's Flashpoint storyline to do the same in Flash's upcoming movie. It's very hard to make you care about things when there are variants of everybody to keep bringing back the same character, even with a different (or not) personality. It's going to become too fucky I think.

I'm just getting around to starting this What If series with the Captain Carter episode but I just wan to say it gives me zero faith that the Flash movie is doing Flashpoint so early on. How is Flashpoint supposed to mean much of anything coming so early? It just makes me think they've learned nothing from how they jumped the gun trying to skip all the buildup when they did Justice League.

Don’t feel like this show is getting talked about as much as the other Marvel shows were. I think the Marvel fan base has a lot of more basic people as fans compared to other geek properties, and basic people don’t really like animation it seems. There could be other factors but the animation divide could be a reason why it’s not connecting as well as other shows.