Marvel's "What If...?" First episode came out today

12 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

I gotta say, I like where the finale is going.

I still think a few of the episodes were kind of trash, but the series has overall gotten better. Next week is the last episode.

I've seen episodes 1 and 3 and haven't felt super compelled to watch more. Which ones are the ones that are worth watching?

1 minute ago, Jason said:

I've seen episodes 1 and 3 and haven't felt super compelled to watch more. Which ones are the ones that are worth watching?

Episode 3 was actually one of my favorites. 3, 4, 6, and 8.

There is actually a continuous plot involving the Watcher that reveals itself over the series, but it's kinda "eh."

Honestly, you could just fucking skip the series, you're probably not missing much.

On 9/23/2021 at 12:56 AM, Komusha said:

Don’t feel like this show is getting talked about as much as the other Marvel shows were. I think the Marvel fan base has a lot of more basic people as fans compared to other geek properties, and basic people don’t really like animation it seems. There could be other factors but the animation divide could be a reason why it’s not connecting as well as other shows.

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by Mashable

This was an intense one and being high doesn’t help sometimes, but oh boy them colours look great. So if you’re behind some episodes, I say it’s worth going back to watch them all for how things went this episode. I saw the ending coming but this still left me giddy in the end. Oh and Free Guy is now on Disney+ Now :D 

8 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

Episode 3 was actually one of my favorites. 3, 4, 6, and 8.

There is actually a continuous plot involving the Watcher that reveals itself over the series, but it's kinda "eh."

Honestly, you could just fucking skip the series, you're probably not missing much.

Well I watched 4 and 6 tonight and they were more interesting I thought, especially 4.

I haven't been following the series, but tonight I just happened to watch the dark Strange episode, and then I watched the latest one, and I guess I picked the right two to be able to follow along.

Also, omg was Cumberbatch's voice acting terrible in that Strange episode.

On 9/29/2021 at 7:36 PM, silentbob said:

This was an intense one and being high doesn’t help sometimes, but oh boy them colours look great. So if you’re behind some episodes, I say it’s worth going back to watch them all for how things went this episode. I saw the ending coming but this still left me giddy in the end. Oh and Free Guy is now on Disney+ Now :D 

:shock:

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

:shock:

Yeah in Canada and other countries it seems. Just finished watching it 5 minutes ago and it was good but not amazing. Couple fun cameos and a few good belly laughs here and there. I’d give a 3/5 but watched on tv with headphones, and not my usual Atmos and Projector setup. Might of added more enjoyment with the beefier chaotic sound design and intensity to some of the more chaotic action moments. 

4 hours ago, TwinIon said:

Having watched the finale I think the show has been fine, but never great. I think it was kind of clever how they tried to tie the episodes together, but it didn't entirely land for me.

Agreed. Hopefully next season will better. Also the Gamora character was from an episode that got cut this season but will be produced next season.

It was fine, yeah. Did it feel like part of the MCU? No not really. It felt like it was made for a younger audience. It was also very inconsistent in a number of ways, from story, to VO work, to animation, etc. Ultimately I think it will be largely disposable and/or forgettable, at least for me.

2 hours ago, Reputator said:

It was fine, yeah. Did it feel like part of the MCU? No not really. It felt like it was made for a younger audience. It was also very inconsistent in a number of ways, from story, to VO work, to animation, etc. Ultimately I think it will be largely disposable and/or forgettable, at least for me.

Yeah that’s true. I don’t mind if What If stories are disposable… that’s kind of the point. It’ll be interesting to see if any of those characters come into the main MCU. I was thinking they were going to do that with Black Widow, but then they seemed to not go that way.

Yeah, I think inconsistent is the best descriptor for this series.

I know this is putting way too much thought into a series that is not meant to be taken seriously, but I found it odd that Infinity Ultron was able to so completely wreck the multiverse. We saw infinity stones become paperweights in Loki, so I'm not sure why Ultron suddenly became a threat in a way that no one that assembled the stones in their individual universes would be. Also, if you're the watcher, sure seems like you could pretty quickly collect a set of stones from any given universe, but whatever.

16 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

Yeah, I think inconsistent is the best descriptor for this series.

I know this is putting way too much thought into a series that is not meant to be taken seriously, but I found it odd that Infinity Ultron was able to so completely wreck the multiverse. We saw infinity stones become paperweights in Loki, so I'm not sure why Ultron suddenly became a threat in a way that no one that assembled the stones in their individual universes would be. Also, if you're the watcher, sure seems like you could pretty quickly collect a set of stones from any given universe, but whatever.

I was thinking that What If kind of helps set up Kang / the TVA as having even more clout than we’d assumed; their position “outside time / the multiverse” seems pretty powerful with What If in mind, and possibly taking place in something like that pocket dimension at the end, just one that the TVA can get in and out of at will.

Or it’s just a fun show outside all of that, either work.

43 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I was thinking that What If kind of helps set up Kang / the TVA as having even more clout than we’d assumed; their position “outside time / the multiverse” seems pretty powerful with What If in mind, and possibly taking place in something like that pocket dimension at the end, just one that the TVA can get in and out of at will.

Or it’s just a fun show outside all of that, either work.

Yep. With the TVA basically rendered powerless at the end of Loki, with billions of universes created that they can't control, it's more likely that one would get out of hand.

On 9/29/2021 at 12:15 PM, Jason said:

Okay, so after watching 1/3/4/6, I watched 7-9, then doubled back and watched 5 and then 2. The show is ultimately kind of middling for MCU content but I think I just got unlucky with starting with what to me were just by far the two least compelling episodes of the season. 1 because it was largely a blow-by-blow redo of The First Avenger with Captain Carter as the lead, and 3 because the story just really didn't do much for me.

Obviously you're gonna start with the first episode of a series but I skipped 2 because after the first episode, the "what if T'Challa was Star-Lord" setup made me assume it was gonna be another lazy blow-by-blow remake just with T'Challa as the lead.

• 3 months later...

It was weird seeing Gamora with zero setup in the finale. Apparently they had to cut her episode and it will show up in season 2.

I liked how it all tied together at the end. Some eps were better than others, but overall, it was more entertaining than I was expecting.

I don't know why I wasn't really that pumped about it... I think the animation looked kinda meh in the trailers, but it was actually pretty good. It grew on me.

I think I often see that style of animation and expect it to be lazy, kinda like a 2nd rate direct to video superhero movie... but it was a few steps above that for sure.

Yeah the Gamora part was indeed odd, but we shall see the episode soonish. I too thought I wasn’t going to like the animation style. I was pleasantly surprised at fluidity it had with the action on screen and the colour palette was mesmerizing at times. I sure was high when I watched every episode and added an additional POP! to colours and some sounds. Love to see where season 2 goes story wise and how it might tie into the movie series. As I. Not sure if they are the same Doctors for multiverse of madness