Valve drops a Tim Epic-approved steamer!

Hurricane Game

1 hour ago, HardAct said:

Really enjoying just throwing anything at it and just seeing how well it plays it. Lots of games installed on the SD card now I feel the internal 512gig and my 1Tb micro SD is sufficient enough for this thing. Love the screens anti glare, and the controls and their different options are incredible. The twin sticks are Xbox quality I love them. I had and issue this weekend in the garage with a Hot water mal function. Figures! I have now played 3 hours with different games, Disco Elysium is a great start, but I've played Doom Eternal, borderlands 3 and portal 2. Doom and Borderlands needed tweaking but ran good at 60 settings turned down. Just a fun PC in my hands. Feels of good quality, and there's a lot here to experience. Thinking of using a 256Gig SanDisk I have laying around to install windows on to do some emulation down the road, but for now I'm enjoying this impressive handheld. 

Install emudeck for emulation!! Glad you are enjoying it, Doom Eternal looks wild on it at 60fps. 

18 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

Random note. Bayonetta looks really good on the Neo. It's weird it was running pooringly until I went for borderless full screen. Now 60FPS.

Kinda related but Vanquish really impressed me with how good it looked for a 360 era game on deck.

19 hours ago, best3444 said:

Man, I'm not into handhelds but the deck seems to be on another level. I spend a large portion of my life in my bed so you think it would makes sense for me to grab this at some point. It sounds really impressive. 

For me the Steam Deck was totally unjustifiable in terms of needing a handheld for gaming. I have really been disinterested in games for the most part of this year. It's just such a great piece of tech in general. I rarely play my switch, my ps5 and series x have less than 20 hours combined !! in playtime. When I do play it's usually on my PC and for under an hour at a time with days in-between. It chalked it up to adding/rebuilding what was lost in the fire as in a gaming console collection. I'm never going to chase down the shit we lost, but if I can have a few cool pieces of gaming hardware along with a pretty good gaming PCI I'm good. 

I have now, a PS4 Pro, Xbox 1X, Nintendo Switch {I have a dock now too as I lost it in the fire too}, a PlayStation Vita { That @Mr.Vic20 amazingly Gifted to me }, a 3DSxL, PS5, Xbox Series X, and now a 512Gig Steam Deck. These along with a capable gaming PC I'm Good!  Yea right :rolleyes: it shall NEVER END! :dab2:

• Haha 1

On 7/19/2022 at 2:50 PM, best3444 said:

BTW @HardAct. I laughed because you have so much technology at your finger tips. I remember you lost basically everything in a fire so it's amazing you are where you are now and with all the videogames you could want. 

Agreed! You should've seen what I had before the fire :D

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Caution: Very long Ramble / Read Below, suggest walk away. In the event you do decide to read my silique please be kind and hold any negative critique for another day. Would be very much appreciated, and THANK YOU in advance . . .

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

We went to my daughters house the day before to visit and just so happened to have taken my Switch with me. I then left in it the truck that night. All hell broke loose the next day, November 8th 2018 the California CAMP fire happened. We had so little time to really grab anything, but also thinking we would be back in 24 hours or so. Of course NOONE thought we would lose everything like we did. The fire happened over 10 miles from our house! Started below Paradise Ca, we lived in Magalia Ca. Of course now we know in 24 hours moving 2 football fields a SECOND! winds that day were in the 70-80 Mph!! All that coupled with the drought we had been experiencing {No rain for over 250 Days} and very little in the last 4 years, it was quite literally the "PERFECT STORM" That and it was late November when every one had leaf litter everywhere from the Fall season, so the fire was carried on the burning embers of everything. We had no chance. Over 14,800 homes and over 18,000 structures, meaning the entire town of PARADISE and the lower half of MAGALIA gone in 20 hours. It was literally HELL on earth. I never ever wish that on anyone's family. To pile on us after losing our Home of 27 years, both our jobs, my wife's of 26 years and mine of 21 years never to return, 2 vehicles, our community, friends etc. We were also trying to deal with my oldest sons Diagnosis of Brain cancer inoperable of course! He was scheduled to begin treatment at my wife's work Feather River Hospital, and stay with us while he went through that. Well he was on his way to our home the morning of the fire and we had to basically wave him off because of the fire! Eventually he ended up going to the Hospital in Medford Oregon for treatment. We moved to Oregon to help. Long story short, we lost him 4 months later. We had nothing to go back to in California and stayed in Oregon. New jobs, community. My friends are all now 4 hours away and that has been very hard. So far only 5% of homes have been rebuilt in over 3 years!! We have a beautiful new home and our property in California, we loved that area so much. 

I know to 95% of the forums know this and have heard it many times, I need to say it out loud every once in awhile to get a better grip on the things that are so very important. If it annoys anyone here that I tell the story a few times a year, I hope they can just see it's healing to say it or TYPE it. We lost so very much, BUT MOST aren't anywhere close to being resettled like us. For the most part the Paradise community continues to struggle to rebuild, or find new jobs etc. That damned fire displaced over 30,000 people into the job world, needing places to buy or rent and jobs to support them selves. It's more often than not still a huge struggle coupled with this pandemic, houses to live in, rents are extremely high as there's so little available they can now charge what they want and get it! Many Paradise residents were going to school in Chico's University and are forced to pay to much for board. It's just a huge stressful area of hurt for us and so we are DONE with California. I lived there 50 years, were done.

So...as to my gaming collection. Yea I have most modern systems again, new TV's, a work in progress Home THEATER that's a 15k$ endeavor and we have each other. We just had our 20th wedding anniversary and we have been together now over 26 years. Without her I would've folded. The loss of our child was the hardest and still is obviously! I was able to game on my Switch and a gaming laptop from MSI with my Steam Library for the first 24 months. As of late I have slowly gotten some nice tech to ease the loss of my collection. Every day I am so grateful, and even to the boards here were an important part of me being able to greave through kind words, and a nice site to feel safe and talk games to better heal   stress through games and gamers in general.

I lost though and incredible amount of vintage consoles all in original boxes, like Atari 2600, 5800 & 7200, Intellivision, Jaguar, NES, SNES, Gameboy, DS, DSXL, Xbox, PS1, PS1 Mini, PS2, PS3 {The much desired backward compatible one!}, XBOX 360, Dreamcasts {2x New in box unopened}, SEGA, SEGA CD, SEGA Genes, Nintendo Wii & Wii U, PSP & PS Vita and a few more I can't remember now. Plus thousands of games that still make me cry thinking about it. I have SO MANY games in original boxes it's all irreplaceable or would cost a fortune and it's not affordable. I also had over 10,000 DVD movies with 2000 being UHD Blu-ray... My prized Horror movie collection going back to black & white films and many collectible figure in that Genre. It's getting better and honestly I just think about people that are less fortunate and it eases the pain most days. Yes I have rebounded for the most part, I've given up thought over ever having the gaming collection I once had but we had decent insurance, had a good savings account and we are great with money.

Hang in everyone, stay super safe and love the ones your with, and keep those kids close as you can. THANKS!

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, HardAct said:

We went to my daughters house the day before to visit and just so happened to have taken my Switch with me. I then left in it the truck that night. All hell broke loose the next day, November 8th 2018 the California CAMP fire happened. We had so little time to really grab anything, but also thinking we would be back in 24 hours or so. Of course NOONE thought we would lose everything like we did. The fire happened over 10 miles from our house! Started below Paradise Ca, we lived in Magalia Ca. Of course now we know in 24 hours moving 2 football fields a SECOND! winds that day were in the 70-80 Mph!! All that coupled with the drought we had been experiencing {No rain for over 250 Days} and very little in the last 4 years, it was quite literally the "PERFECT STORM" That and it was late November when every one had leaf litter everywhere from the Fall season, so the fire was carried on the burning embers of everything. We had no chance. Over 14,800 homes and over 18,000 structures, meaning the entire town of PARADISE and the lower half of MAGALIA gone in 20 hours. It was literally HELL on earth. I never ever wish that on anyone's family. To pile on us after losing our Home of 27 years, both our jobs, my wife's of 26 years and mine of 21 years never to return, 2 vehicles, our community, friends etc. We were also trying to deal with my oldest sons Diagnosis of Brain cancer inoperable of course! He was scheduled to begin treatment at my wife's work Feather River Hospital, and stay with us while he went through that. Well he was on his way to our home the morning of the fire and we had to basically wave him off because of the fire! Eventually he ended up going to the Hospital in Medford Oregon for treatment. We moved to Oregon to help. Long story short, we lost him 4 months later. We had nothing to go back to in California and stayed in Oregon. New jobs, community. My friends are all now 4 hours away and that has been very hard. So far only 5% of homes have been rebuilt in over 3 years!! We have a beautiful new home and our property in California, we loved that area so much. 

I know to 95% of the forums know this and have heard it many times, I need to say it out loud every once in awhile to get a better grip on the things that are so very important. If it annoys anyone here that I tell the story a few times a year, I hope they can just see it's healing to say it or TYPE it. We lost so very much, BUT MOST aren't anywhere close to being resettled like us. For the most part the Paradise community continues to struggle to rebuild, or find new jobs etc. That damned fire displaced over 30,000 people into the job world, needing places to buy or rent and jobs to support them selves. It's more often than not still a huge struggle coupled with this pandemic, houses to live in, rents are extremely high as there's so little available they can now charge what they want and get it! Many Paradise residents were going to school in Chico's University and are forced to pay to much for board. It's just a huge stressful area of hurt for us and so we are DONE with California. I lived there 50 years, were done.

So...as to my gaming collection. Yea I have most modern systems again, new TV's, a work in progress Home THEATER that's a 15k$ endeavor and we have each other. We just had our 20th wedding anniversary and we have been together now over 26 years. Without her I would've folded. The loss of our child was the hardest and still is obviously! I was able to game on my Switch and a gaming laptop from MSI with my Steam Library for the first 24 months. As of late I have slowly gotten some nice tech to ease the loss of my collection. Every day I am so grateful, and even to the boards here were an important part of me being able to greave through kind words, and a nice site to feel safe and talk games to better heal   stress through games and gamers in general.

I lost though and incredible amount of vintage consoles all in original boxes, like Atari 2600, 5800 & 7200, Intellivision, Jaguar, NES, SNES, Gameboy, DS, DSXL, Xbox, PS1, PS1 Mini, PS2, PS3 {The much desired backward compatible one!}, XBOX 360, Dreamcasts {2x New in box unopened}, SEGA, SEGA CD, SEGA Genes, Nintendo Wii & Wii U, PSP & PS Vita and a few more I can't remember now. Plus thousands of games that still make me cry thinking about it. I have SO MANY games in original boxes it's all irreplaceable or would cost a fortune and it's not affordable. I also had over 10,000 DVD movies with 2000 being UHD Blu-ray... My prized Horror movie collection going back to black & white films and many collectible figure in that Genre. It's getting better and honestly I just think about people that are less fortunate and it eases the pain most days. Yes I have rebounded for the most part, I've given up thought over ever having the gaming collection I once had but we had decent insurance, had a good savings account and we are great with money.

Hang in everyone, stay super safe and love the ones your with, and keep those kids close as you can. THANKS!

Truly a humbling story. That takes so much courage and strength to endure what you and your wife went through. Unbelievable.

55 minutes ago, HardAct said:

Caution: Very long Ramble / Read Below, suggest walk away. In the event you do decide to read my silique please be kind and hold any negative critique for another day. Would be very much appreciated, and THANK YOU in advance . . .

Im happy you are slowly still building up what you have now and that you were able to stay strong throughout all of this and still appreciate life. I still remember when all that happened, just a terrible series of events, you’re a strong person to make it through all that.

OK this must be said: The Steam Deck's battery is barely adequate at best. I have about 7 hours on the thing now, but games like Doom Eternal really murder the battery. Yes you can limit the frames to better the issue but as a "Handheld Console this isn't good" I imagine those that game on it a lot are struggling or have it plugged in at all times? Kind a kills the handheld vibe. I'm fine as I do not game for hours on end ever anymore but still. This has to be addressed in the SDpro or SD2. AAA titles at your fingertips for 2 hours at a time isn't a great selling slogan!! To be honest only Doom and Dirt 4 have any real AAA time so far with smaller games like Hades, Dead Cells, Spelunky 2 and Rouge Legacy 2 are all fine. while playing Doom last night I'm pretty sure the battery was draining even while plugged in @60fps! GOG I WISH this thing had an Oled screen on it. I don't have an Oled switch but I've played my daughters and it's pretty literally, just gorgeous! I think for the 649.99 that could've been done. Not complaining just a thought!

Side Note: I caved and bought RE1 remake, RE2 Remake, Re3 remake, and RE7 Village for the Deck. These are some of my all-time favorite titles that I already owned just not on Steam. Was less that 20 bucks so not to bad!

21 minutes ago, HardAct said:

OK this must be said: The Steam Deck's battery is barely adequate at best. I have about 7 hours on the thing now, but games like Doom Eternal really murder the battery. Yes you can limit the frames to better the issue but as a "Handheld Console this isn't good" I imagine those that game on it a lot are struggling or have it plugged in at all times? Kind a kills the handheld vibe. I'm fine as I do not game for hours on end ever anymore but still. This has to be addressed in the SDpro or SD2. AAA titles at your fingertips for 2 hours at a time isn't a great selling slogan!! To be honest only Doom and Dirt 4 have any real AAA time so far with smaller games like Hades, Dead Cells, Spelunky 2 and Rouge Legacy 2 are all fine. while playing Doom last night I'm pretty sure the battery was draining even while plugged in @60fps! GOG I WISH this thing had an Oled screen on it. I don't have an Oled switch but I've played my daughters and it's pretty literally, just gorgeous! I think for the 649.99 that could've been done. Not complaining just a thought!

Side Note: I caved and bought RE1 remake, RE2 Remake, Re3 remake, and RE7 Village for the Deck. These are some of my all-time favorite titles that I already owned just not on Steam. Was less that 20 bucks so not to bad!

Part of it is just that unlike a normal handheld the power is up to the user, and of course it’s then tempting to push it to the limit every time. But yeah valve themselves kind of put the target at 800/30 for new more modern demanding games because of the battery. It’s still a generation ahead of switch even like that though. 

Battery tech is unfortunately trash in general, but yeah, I’m sure improved battery will be an improved focus on a steam deck 2, I don’t care if it makes it a little thicker. Though, yeah I mostly play with it plugged in or a charger is nearby anyway so it doesn’t matter, if I want to go in the living room and play for more than 2 hours I have external battery packs and can go all day.

On 7/21/2022 at 11:41 AM, stepee said:

Part of it is just that unlike a normal handheld the power is up to the user, and of course it’s then tempting to push it to the limit every time. But yeah valve themselves kind of put the target at 800/30 for new more modern demanding games because of the battery. It’s still a generation ahead of switch even like that though. 

Battery tech is unfortunately trash in general, but yeah, I’m sure improved battery will be an improved focus on a steam deck 2, I don’t care if it makes it a little thicker. Though, yeah I mostly play with it plugged in or a charger is nearby anyway so it doesn’t matter, if I want to go in the living room and play for more than 2 hours I have external battery packs and can go all day.

I bet an Oled mod will be here soon as there are screens already for replacement. The anti glare screen is pretty great I think too. Not an extra 200 bucks great but great non-the-less. If I had it to do over I'd buy the 64 gig model and replace the NvME inside but I have never backed down from an overpriced Hardware upgrade option in my life...lol

Keep trying to talk myself into Witcher3 but it's up there in price still. I have only ever put in about 5 hours in that game but have always felt I had missed out on one of the best loved games ever. Even thinking of reliving Skyrim as that game I built a new PC just for back in the day. While my friends struggled with issue after issue on the PS3, I was rocking high settings and laughing all the way to the bank {Depleted bank that is} games like that made me the PC gamer I am today. Well actually, Choplifter, Lode runner, Quake, Unreal tournament, Doom, Wolfenstein & Leisure Suit Larry>:D  made me the PC gamer II am today.

I am struggling holding off on a 3090 {as in day dreaming, not realistically thinking about buying} right now as prices are screaming at me. NOTE: I CAN NOT AFFORD THIS RIGHT NOW, and my wife would probably even say something about that one. I have been adamant that I would NOT buy a 30 series card, and that I would build a 40 series gaming rig around a 4080ti when we can all just add to cart at no mark up what so ever. I'm thinking about 14-18 months from now! My 2080Ti continues to impress me all the time. My rig now was a great build. First one I have ever not touched at all nor upgraded a single component other than adding a 2nd 1Tb Samsung 980 M.2 SSD. This rig will be a 5 year PC and that is a great as I will be able to gift this one to a family member of friend as it will still be a pretty capable machine. Next one should last even longer given any hardware issues down the road!

Day1Patch'ers favorite games on Steam Deck?

RetroArc?

I have 30,000+ roms already in an arcade machine I bought 2 years ago from TinyArcadeMachines.com though it uses Hyperspin. If I want to retro game on my Steam Deck are the roms all I need? I have never done this stuff but the Bartop Arcade machine I have has them already and I have a back up HD just incase it crashes. It's windows based too.

If I install RetroAck and all I care about are arcade machines in Mame, would this be easy to do? I want to put all that stuff on a 256 gig SanDisc micro SD card I have laying around and swap it in and out? I have watched all the tutorials but I get a little overwhelmed to be honest. I do not want to install windows, but would love access to my Gamepass Ultimate library. Anyone finding the L2&R2 shoulder buttons tough to get to gaming? along with the underside ones? There nice to have to assign things to but  not in a action game!

I should in theory just be able to dump them in Retro Arc? does it matter if there in a windows running machine? Really only interested in 1980 - 2000 era games like Stargate, Galaga, Donky Kong, Time Pilot, Ms Pacman, etc, etc and I have all those at my fingertips. Not to mention everything else from Atari 2600, Intellivision, and Commodore 64 up to Xbox 360 & PS3

On 7/13/2022 at 4:56 PM, Zaku3 said:

Hey to my credit I successfully resisted the Neo Air Pro. The price for a 1TB Air Pro with a 5825 is borderline unjustifiable with 6800u devices shipping in Sept. I don't like the idea of a 1600 by 1200 screen but a 6800u, Windows, front facing speaker, a 65wh battery, 100watt fast charging, case, and 2TB SSD all for 1210 was too compelling. 

The D pad looks bad in fairness but a 6800u handheld is gonna be glorious. Only to be eclipsed by those Zen 4/RDNA3 APUs. 

I will call myself out of control if I order an Aya Neo 2. The Next should get a pass because a 6800u steam deck with a dedicated GPU is compelling as well.

MAN!

I looked at that read a ton, watched a few reviews and impression YouTube vids and thought "WHAT THE HELL AM I DOING HERE!!" lol I closed everything like I was walked in on Pornhub! Deleted my browsing history and search history and took the dog for a walk. I MUST NEVER EVER SEE that handheld machine ever again...lol Amazing little machine but complete and undeniably unjustifiable in every way possible. Why am I drawn in to that stuff...lol God I love anything Fancy in the Tech world. I am in now way close to being able to buy another handheld I wouldn't play, but boy do I want to....

20 minutes ago, HardAct said:

RetroArc?

I have 30,000+ roms already in an arcade machine I bought 2 years ago from TinyArcadeMachines.com though it uses Hyperspin. If I want to retro game on my Steam Deck are the roms all I need? I have never done this stuff but the Bartop Arcade machine I have has them already and I have a back up HD just incase it crashes. It's windows based too.

If I install RetroAck and all I care about are arcade machines in Mame, would this be easy to do? I want to put all that stuff on a 256 gig SanDisc micro SD card I have laying around and swap it in and out? I have watched all the tutorials but I get a little overwhelmed to be honest. I do not want to install windows, but would love access to my Gamepass Ultimate library. Anyone finding the L2&R2 shoulder buttons tough to get to gaming? along with the underside ones? There nice to have to assign things to but  not in a action game!

I should in theory just be able to dump them in Retro Arc? does it matter if there in a windows running machine? Really only interested in 1980 - 2000 era games like Stargate, Galaga, Donky Kong, Time Pilot, Ms Pacman, etc, etc and I have all those at my fingertips. Not to mention everything else from Atari 2600, Intellivision, and Commodore 64 up to Xbox 360 & PS3

Follow the link I posted and @‘d you on for emudeck! Then you need a way to get your roms on it, so you can just download them from sites online, or you can put your roms on cloud storage and download them from there. This part is done in desktop mode. There is a program that lets you transfer that @Keyser_Soze knows. Emudeck installation will create a roms folder and folders for each system. You will also need to make sure to put in the bios for the ps systems. 

edit: To clarify, installing emudeck will install retroarch as part of it. And the only reason roms are a little trickier is because you can’t just load them up on a windows pc using a flash drive and copy them over because linux won’t read the windows formatting of the drive. 

14 minutes ago, stepee said:

Follow the link I posted and @‘d you on for emudeck! Then you need a way to get your roms on it, so you can just download them from sites online, or you can put your roms on cloud storage and download them from there. This part is done in desktop mode. There is a program that lets you transfer that @Keyser_Soze knows. Emudeck installation will create a roms folder and folders for each system. You will also need to make sure to put in the bios for the ps systems. 

Only want retro arcade games and I do have them all. I won't be downloading anything from the web like that. Do they matter if there roms from a windows machine? I can get the roms pretty easily I would think. I don't ever plug my Arcade machine to the internet because of fear of windows installing updated drivers for the stuff I have on there. It's an amazing machine with every game you could think of from early apple 2e, to PS3 and X360. I'm only interested in the Arcade games from 1980-2000

I'll work on getting them copied off the arcade machine and go on from there. This is exciting...lol

41 minutes ago, HardAct said:

Only want retro arcade games and I do have them all. I won't be downloading anything from the web like that. Do they matter if there roms from a windows machine? I can get the roms pretty easily I would think. I don't ever plug my Arcade machine to the internet because of fear of windows installing updated drivers for the stuff I have on there. It's an amazing machine with every game you could think of from early apple 2e, to PS3 and X360. I'm only interested in the Arcade games from 1980-2000

I'll work on getting them copied off the arcade machine and go on from there. This is exciting...lol

The roms themselves can still be used but you can’t transfer them to a flash drive directly and have it work. So what I did was upload to my onedrive then I downloaded from my onedrive. But then I ended up being lazy and it was so easy to just download collections, so I did that.

I think what you are going to want to do is get the roms from your machine on a flash drive, put the flash drive on your windows pc; then do this: 

438679332id20617gol.jpg
WWW.GAMINGONLINUX.COM

Want to transfer files to and from your PC to a Steam Deck? It's easy and here's how you can do it in a few minutes.

1 hour ago, HardAct said:

MAN!

I looked at that read a ton, watched a few reviews and impression YouTube vids and thought "WHAT THE HELL AM I DOING HERE!!" lol I closed everything like I was walked in on Pornhub! Deleted my browsing history and search history and took the dog for a walk. I MUST NEVER EVER SEE that handheld machine ever again...lol Amazing little machine but complete and undeniably unjustifiable in every way possible. Why am I drawn in to that stuff...lol God I love anything Fancy in the Tech world. I am in now way close to being able to buy another handheld I wouldn't play, but boy do I want to....

In your defense this is a new product category. Hell for all we know the Next II with a 6600ish GPU might signal a worthwhile path. 

I know I like Switch sizedish machines like the Neo and Neo Next. I know I'd love a steam deck device with Windows. I'd be willing to give that Neo Air a go to see if I like the size but I'd prefer a 6600 or 6800u device.

I do que things with resolutions above 1080p though.

Returnal-f.jpg
WWW.VIDEOGAMESCHRONICLE.COM

The Steam database entry for what is almost certainly Returnal has been updated again, refuelling speculation that Housemarque’s 2021 shooter will soon be revealed for the platform.

The following updates were spotted by ResetEra user Mocha Joe:

• 8 depot/app changes on 7/11 UTC time
  • 10 depot/app changes in the past 24 hours
  • 6 depot/app changes on 7/9 UTC time
  • External_ship got an update, the first time in 20 days (doesn’t happen often, but it’s an interesting coincidence)
  • Steam deck controller profile

While this doesn’t infer anything about when the game is likely to be revealed, the frequency of updates to the app itself could suggest a short time between the announcement and release. Sony’s PC ports so far have typically only seen a few months between confirmation and release.

Got my Steam Deck a few weeks ago, and have to say it has exceeded my expectations:

1)  In my limited experience, most games are "mostly" playable.

2)  Heroic Launcher makes running EGS games really easy

3)  Surprised how easy it was to put Origin on it.

4)  I got X-Wing running perfectly in TTS, even though TTS is "Unsupported".  Controller setup is so flexible.

5)  The analog sticks, touchpads and haptic feedback are phenomenal

I have a few "niggles"

1)  OS feels a little like a "late beta" -- it generally works well, but crashes more than I would like.  Also, wish it would DL/Move games while asleep.

2)  Battery life on demanding games is not great.

3)  The RB/LB buttons are not very responsive.  I really noticed the difference playing Rogue Legacy 2.  I played the first on my Vita, and hoped that RL2 would be my Steam Deck game -- deleted it almost immediately.

4)  I've been playing the Ascent --which is great, BTW -- but the text is so small.  Playing games designed for desktop (even ones that are "great on Deck") can sometimes be a little frustrating.

I picked up a 60% size Bluetooth keyboard and mouse -- If you're going to mess around in Linux, it makes it so much easier. [Plus I need them to pull up my lists in X-Wing.]

• Halal 1

On 7/22/2022 at 4:05 PM, stepee said:

The roms themselves can still be used but you can’t transfer them to a flash drive directly and have it work. So what I did was upload to my onedrive then I downloaded from my onedrive. But then I ended up being lazy and it was so easy to just download collections, so I did that.

I think what you are going to want to do is get the roms from your machine on a flash drive, put the flash drive on your windows pc; then do this: 

438679332id20617gol.jpg
WWW.GAMINGONLINUX.COM

Want to transfer files to and from your PC to a Steam Deck? It's easy and here's how you can do it in a few minutes.

I am cleaning up my table and a thought occured to me. I should buy the Air after all. Combo of trying it out and the boxes they come in are pretty good for paints.

35 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

I am cleaning up my table and a thought occured to me. I should buy the Air after all. Combo of trying it out and the boxes they come in are pretty good for paints.

Now THAT is some hardcore justification! I respect it.

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Got my Steam Deck a few weeks ago, and have to say it has exceeded my expectations:

1)  In my limited experience, most games are "mostly" playable.

2)  Heroic Launcher makes running EGS games really easy

3)  Surprised how easy it was to put Origin on it.

4)  I got X-Wing running perfectly in TTS, even though TTS is "Unsupported".  Controller setup is so flexible.

5)  The analog sticks, touchpads and haptic feedback are phenomenal

I have a few "niggles"

1)  OS feels a little like a "late beta" -- it generally works well, but crashes more than I would like.  Also, wish it would DL/Move games while asleep.

2)  Battery life on demanding games is not great.

3)  The RB/LB buttons are not very responsive.  I really noticed the difference playing Rogue Legacy 2.  I played the first on my Vita, and hoped that RL2 would be my Steam Deck game -- deleted it almost immediately.

4)  I've been playing the Ascent --which is great, BTW -- but the text is so small.  Playing games designed for desktop (even ones that are "great on Deck") can sometimes be a little frustrating.

I picked up a 60% size Bluetooth keyboard and mouse -- If you're going to mess around in Linux, it makes it so much easier. [Plus I need them to pull up my lists in X-Wing.]

yeah what we blew me away is the compatibility. It runs games better than I thought performance wise too, but the compatibility is way higher than I thought. I figured something idk like 50% of my  games would work on it. But it’s more like almost everything besides a couple. Not counting gamepass not working, because those games work outside of it, just not the gamepass app itself.

• True 1

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

yeah what we blew me away is the compatibility. It runs games better than I thought performance wise too, but the compatibility is way higher than I thought. I figured something idk like 50% of my  games would work on it. But it’s more like almost everything besides a couple. Not counting gamepass not working, because those games work outside of it, just not the gamepass app itself.

I feel performance is better in Steam OS. Every game I have played so far just flat out runs better on the Neo Next.

1 hour ago, Zaku3 said:

I feel performance is better in Steam OS. Every game I have played so far just flat out runs better on the Neo Next.

Im confused, how does steam os performance being better lead to neo next performing better? : p

So I was playing Tales of Destiny on Steam Deck but it kept crashing when it got to a certain point. Long story short: Unlocking retro achievements on steam deck seems to make the emulator crash.

But I was wondering how I could get to that point, well transferring my save game to my computer to see if I could get past it. Thinking will I upload it somewhere? But then said "I guess I'll use syncthing" and it's just so seamless, really easy. So I was kinda stressing for nothing. But turn off retro achievements for PS1 games at least.

Quick review since I've had it two weeks

Pros:

fun new tech (for me)

Comfortable to hold/controls don't cramp my hands 

Games look good on it

Cons:

Battery life/charging time

Software. It's buggy af. From booting issues, to freezes and wifi dropping out completely it's a fucking mess. 

Screen is way easier to smudge than my oled switch.

Kind of wishing I sold it but oh well, I'll continue to tinker with it and play it on lunch 

14 minutes ago, BasemntDweller2 said:

Quick review since I've had it two weeks

Pros:

fun new tech (for me)

Comfortable to hold/controls don't cramp my hands 

Games look good on it

Cons:

Battery life/charging time

Software. It's buggy af. From booting issues, to freezes and wifi dropping out completely it's a fucking mess. 

Screen is way easier to smudge than my oled switch.

Kind of wishing I sold it but oh well, I'll continue to tinker with it and play it on lunch 

You could still make a good profit selling it now. 

• True 1