Valve drops a Tim Epic-approved steamer!

Hurricane Game

On 7/11/2022 at 12:07 PM, BasemntDweller2 said:

If anyone sees any storage sales during the Amazon Prime sale please let me know. 

I originally was going to sell it but I might as well keep it. It's only money right? 

Sandisk ultra $47 (512GB) and $109 (1TB) on Amazon. Bought a 512 for emulation 

• Like 1

Well I was gonna try and hang out on a Prime Deal on a Sandisk Extreme 1Tb micro sd card, but $217 is way too much. So I just picked up 2 Samsung Evo Select 512GB cards at $70Cnd a piece. Not as fast as the SanDisk but pretty darn close and usually ranked 2nd in best cards to get.

DAMN IT !!

Bought the SanDisc Ultra 1Tb Micro SD card for 129.99 from Amazon for the Steam Deck {also have the same card in my Switch now}j ust a little over 24 hours ago and it's dropped to 109.99. So on the Phone right now and we'll see if they make it right. I card won't even be here until Tomorrow, $20 bucks is 20 bucks though!

FedEx now shows Thursday due to a delay. I literally never get delayed deliveries from UPS and due to the theaters I get tons of packages every day. FedEx being late is not particularly uncommon

4 hours ago, GameDadGrant said:

@Keyser_Soze

Jeff Grubb: "Pro tip: When playing a 3DS game, Steam has a community-made controller profile for controlling the screens in the Citra emulator."

Me: "What? In English, please."  

Steam, even on regular PC, lets you customize the shit out of what your controller inputs actually send to games. So while you can just have the vanilla expectation: button A maps to sending the controller A input, etc, you can change *all* of that.

One of the reasons for that is it lets you use arbitrary game controllers on your PC how you'd like, but it really took off when they released their Steam Controller a few years ago which allowed for a lot of unconventional game controller options. For example, you can bind one of your back paddle buttons -- a button not found on most conventional game controllers -- to execute multiple keyboard strokes, or bind to multiple game pad presses. Or you can have your touch pads emulate a joystick, or emulate a mouse. Or more uniquely, you can make it so that the gyro lets you aim, but *only* when your thumb is resting on the track pad. The degree of customization you can do can get pretty wild.

Since there are so many ways to customize game pad controls for games, Steam also lets users share their "controller profiles" for different games. If someone has a really useful kind of mapping they set up, they can share it and other users can choose to use it instantly from the steam interface.

Steam Deck is no different: it's got a fuck ton of buttons and input options and like on the regular PC, you can make your own custom control profiles or use ones other people created and shared online. 

So now consider emulating 3DS games on the steam deck: the 3DS itself is also a very unique system because it has dual screens and touch input. So if you want to emulate games, you probably need some clever ways to replicate that control on a different interface. Since Steam Deck is so customizable, other users have shared online "profiles" to make working with the 3DS as easy as can be so that you don't have to put in the work yourself. "Citra" is just the name of the emulation software people use to emulate 3DS games on the deck so these controller profiles are for "Citra." I imagine they are doing something fancy with the touch pads bringing focus to the other screen or something of the sort. I haven't look it up though.

Hopefully that clears it up.

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 1
  • Sicko Sherman 1

39 minutes ago, legend said:

Steam, even on regular PC, lets you customize the shit out of what your controller inputs actually send to games. So while you can just have the vanilla expectation: button A maps to sending the controller A input, etc, you can change *all* of that.

One of the reasons for that is it lets you use arbitrary game controllers on your PC how you'd like, but it really took off when they released their Steam Controller a few years ago which allowed for a lot of unconventional game controller options. For example, you can bind one of your back paddle buttons -- a button not found on most conventional game controllers -- to execute multiple keyboard strokes, or bind to multiple game pad presses. Or you can have your touch pads emulate a joystick, or emulate a mouse. Or more uniquely, you can make it so that the gyro lets you aim, but *only* when your thumb is resting on the track pad. The degree of customization you can do can get pretty wild.

Since there are so many ways to customize game pad controls for games, Steam also lets users share their "controller profiles" for different games. If someone has a really useful kind of mapping they set up, they can share it and other users can choose to use it instantly from the steam interface.

Steam Deck is no different: it's got a fuck ton of buttons and input options and like on the regular PC, you can make your own custom control profiles or use ones other people created and shared online. 

So now consider emulating 3DS games on the steam deck: the 3DS itself is also a very unique system because it has dual screens and touch input. So if you want to emulate games, you probably need some clever ways to replicate that control on a different interface. Since Steam Deck is so customizable, other users have shared online "profiles" to make working with the 3DS as easy as can be so that you don't have to put in the work yourself. "Citra" is just the name of the emulation software people use to emulate 3DS games on the deck so these controller profiles are for "Citra." I imagine they are doing something fancy with the touch pads bringing focus to the other screen or something of the sort. I haven't look it up though.

Im afraid people who are new to pc are going to see how long this post is and back away :P

But good explanation! It’s really a beautiful thing.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, stepee said:

Im afraid people who are new to pc are going to see how long this post is and back away :P

But good explanation! It’s really a beautiful thing.

I considered the same, but I'm not trying to proselytize PC so much since GDG is already getting a steam deck and might be tempted to emulate games on it! 

And in Steam's defense, I tend to be verbose :p 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, stepee said:

YOU ARE OOC

Hey to my credit I successfully resisted the Neo Air Pro. The price for a 1TB Air Pro with a 5825 is borderline unjustifiable with 6800u devices shipping in Sept. I don't like the idea of a 1600 by 1200 screen but a 6800u, Windows, front facing speaker, a 65wh battery, 100watt fast charging, case, and 2TB SSD all for 1210 was too compelling. 

The D pad looks bad in fairness but a 6800u handheld is gonna be glorious. Only to be eclipsed by those Zen 4/RDNA3 APUs. 

I will call myself out of control if I order an Aya Neo 2. The Next should get a pass because a 6800u steam deck with a dedicated GPU is compelling as well.

2 hours ago, Zaku3 said:

Hey to my credit I successfully resisted the Neo Air Pro. The price for a 1TB Air Pro with a 5825 is borderline unjustifiable with 6800u devices shipping in Sept. I don't like the idea of a 1600 by 1200 screen but a 6800u, Windows, front facing speaker, a 65wh battery, 100watt fast charging, case, and 2TB SSD all for 1210 was too compelling. 

The D pad looks bad in fairness but a 6800u handheld is gonna be glorious. Only to be eclipsed by those Zen 4/RDNA3 APUs. 

I will call myself out of control if I order an Aya Neo 2. The Next should get a pass because a 6800u steam deck with a dedicated GPU is compelling as well.

That price is actually better than I thought. Tbf the deck dpad isn’t great either.

I checked out Citra and played some 3d land, Link, and Warioware Gold, good stuff. Played well at 720p and all the control options are great. I think what he was referring to specifically (weirdly written sentence no matter what he means) is how on the community profiles I tried you can switch the screen layout with the extra backside buttons. So say Zelda, you can just have the 3DS’s top screen as your full screen and hit a button to swap to the 3DS’s bottom screen when you want to look at the map.

It was nice and easy to set up for 3ds emulation, it’s definitely a device that lends itself well to it. Being able to use the trackpads for touchscreen is great but also nice you can just use the touchscreen itself too. You can touch or click and point easily in either screen however you have it set up which is nice. 

I feel like I need to lower the sensitivity of the gyro from the profile I tried for Warioware Gold on the twisted based levels. Or maybe that’s how the game feels laying in bed trying to play it. I’m not a big fan of handheld gyro besides for very lightly correcting shots  in shooters.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, legend said:

So basically you can customize the Deck's controller to *practically* emulate the 3DS inputs, including swapping the top screen for the bottom screen when the need arises. Specifically in this emulator called Citra. Cool. 

I imagine this works for many games, but likely not all. Specifically, games that use both screens in tandem. I doubt I'll be emulating 3DS games on this much anyway...but emulating some of the Vita games I missed out on before they got prohibitively expensive? Or maybe some Saturn stuff that people hype up a lot (is there a Saturn emulator? I feel like I need to play Panzer Dragoon Saga!), or maybe even get some N64 stuff that is ridiculous expensive (I'm looking at you, Ogre Battle 64!)....yeah, I can dig this. :D 

1 hour ago, GameDadGrant said:

So basically you can customize the Deck's controller to *practically* emulate the 3DS inputs, including swapping the top screen for the bottom screen when the need arises. Specifically in this emulator called Citra. Cool. 

I imagine this works for many games, but likely not all. Specifically, games that use both screens in tandem. I doubt I'll be emulating 3DS games on this much anyway...but emulating some of the Vita games I missed out on before they got prohibitively expensive? Or maybe some Saturn stuff that people hype up a lot (is there a Saturn emulator? I feel like I need to play Panzer Dragoon Saga!), or maybe even get some N64 stuff that is ridiculous expensive (I'm looking at you, Ogre Battle 64!)....yeah, I can dig this. :D 

Yep that's right!

And yeah if you need both screens active at the same time, you might be in trouble! It's entirely possible the emulator will let you render both screens on the same single deck screen. I haven't used it, but googling around that looks like an option. But it might be a bit cramped doing so :p That's more viable if you are actually emulating on a full PC with a big screen that can easily show both.

Just now, legend said:

Yep that's right!

And yeah if you need both screens active at the same time, you might be in trouble! It's entirely possible the emulator will let you render both screens on the same single larger deck screen. I haven't used it, but googling around that looks like an option. But it might be a bit cramped doing so :p That's more viable if you are actually emulating on a full PC with a big screen that can easily show both.

Yes u can run both screens. Looks weird i kinda wish I could see what side by side looks like though.

• Thanks 1

Yeah you can swap back and forth full screen, have a big screen and a small screen, have two side by side screens, have a top screen and a bottom screen, and you can swap this all around just using the back buttons on the deck.

There isn’t really much on the 3DS that doesn’t play fine with one method or the other. And some things I think are nicer just using cursor control with the trackpads rather than touch, which you can also still do.

Deck runs 3ds at native 720p so everything looks way better of course.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, stepee said:

Yeah you can swap back and forth full screen, have a big screen and a small screen, have two side by side screens, have a top screen and a bottom screen, and you can swap this all around just using the back buttons on the deck.

There isn’t really much on the 3DS that doesn’t play fine with one method or the other. And some things I think are nicer just using cursor control with the trackpads rather than touch, which you can also still do.

Deck runs 3ds at native 720p so everything looks way better of course.

Can you do it in tate mode so the screens are the same width?

1 minute ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Can you do it in tate mode so the screens are the same width?

I’m not sure if the emudeck build it installs lets you do that, but I know you can get a build that does. Probably only decent for touchscreen since you can’t just switch the controllers around like with that one switch accessory.

9 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

She’s here, installing update right now. Holy smokes this thing is huge…but not turrible weight wise. Seems like it is well balanced.

When I first got it I thought it was still as comfortable as a switch oled because of how it’s balanced. Now I do agree with others that it’s actually more comfortable than switch especially for things like shooters that can get cramped. Especially for long periods it seems to feel better.

Trying to not got to excited for Friday but I am. FedX shows Friday by end of day but I'm thinking Saturday. I'm in Medford, OR and it's showing Idaho early this morning. It's possible but more often then not they run at least a day behind.

Got my 1Tb SanDisc Micro card, glass screen protectors & { This is just a maybe, 3 cost 8 bucks but not wanting to null the anti-glare screen I just paid for } a USB-C to Ethernet adapter for faster downloads than WiFi. That's shouls work for the Switch too fingers crossed! I love my screen protector on my Switch, but the SD is a different thing all together. Excited but I'm within a 48 hour window baring and unforeseen issues....

• Like 2

Downloading games.

Anybody got some good info on Switch emulation for people who don’t care about doing it the “legit” way like in that video posted a page or two back?

3 hours ago, sblfilms said:

She’s here, installing update right now. Holy smokes this thing is huge…but not turrible weight wise. Seems like it is well balanced.

Yeah when you first get it it is both surprisingly big and surprisingly light for that size.

Its controls and general body are so well designed though that now when I pick up my switch it feels like a toy in comparison.

13 minutes ago, legend said:

Yeah when you first get it it is both surprisingly big and surprisingly light for that size.

Its controls and general body are so well designed though that now when I pick up my switch it feels like a toy in comparison.

When I picked up my Switch OLED for 13 Sentinels I couldn't believe how light it is.