Valve drops a Tim Epic-approved steamer!

Hurricane Game

Slightly off topic. I kinda feel bad for Aya Neo. I guess they figured they wouldn't be able to get 6000 series processors so they went to go focus on the Air and I think it seems to be doing better then the Next Kickstarter but it's kinda hard to justify another 5xxx series device in the face of other companies just spawn camping the 6xxx series. GPD and AOKZOE are gonna have their handhelds on IGG with 6800u.

A 6800u or even a 6600u Aya Neo Air is a YOLO buy that worse comes to worst I could give to a friend to evangalize handheld PC. A 5800u Air is ehhh do I really wanna pay 900 bucks for the same performance I have with the Next.

10 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

Slightly off topic. I kinda feel bad for Aya Neo. I guess they figured they wouldn't be able to get 6000 series processors so they went to go focus on the Air and I think it seems to be doing better then the Next Kickstarter but it's kinda hard to justify another 5xxx series device in the face of other companies just spawn camping the 6xxx series. GPD and AOKZOE are gonna have their handhelds on IGG with 6800u.

A 6800u or even a 6600u Aya Neo Air is a YOLO buy that worse comes to worst I could give to a friend to evangalize handheld PC. A 5800u Air is ehhh do I really wanna pay 900 bucks for the same performance I have with the Next.

Shouldn’t 7800 be much more of a real upgrade and like just a year away? I think that gets us some RT?

17 minutes ago, stepee said:

Shouldn’t 7800 be much more of a real upgrade and like just a year away? I think that gets us some RT?

Yes but these smaller companies won't get the 7xxx until later in 2023 based on what's happening with the 6xxx.

11 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

Yes but these smaller companies won't get the 7xxx until later in 2023 based on what's happening with the 6xxx.

I just want to be able to preorder at least a steam deck pro with a 7xxx and oled by end of next year. A 2 year cycle is kind of nice and not too crazy but if they do a one year cycle for upgrades I won’t complain. These will indeed make great hand me downs. 

I’ve been pretty adamant with handhelds sticking to 720p and to focus on performance at that resolution but with how things are going, I guess I’ll be okay with a switch to a 1080p screen as well. At a certain point some settings are hard to tell the difference between on a small screen so once you hit 720/60, you gotta go higher res I guess.

I do downsample some stuff from 1080p on deck and it does make a nice difference for AA. Definitely recommend doing that for 360era stuff.

1 hour ago, Zaku3 said:

It might not apply for you but having your whole (more or less) steam library available on a handheld is compelling. 

Oh yeah, I totally get the appeal. That premise is what made the announcement so exciting, and then when it actually came out and delivered on its potential that was doubly exciting. But I really just have no use for handhelds. If I traveled for work like my brother in law (he spends 2-3 nights a week out of town) or something like that I would absolutely get one. I'm just here alone in my small apartment. I'm either sitting at my desk with my PC, or sitting on the couch looking at my TV and all my systems. I just can't imagine the scenario in which I actually use the Deck nearly enough to justify the purchase. 

4 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

Oh yeah, I totally get the appeal. That premise is what made the announcement so exciting, and then when it actually came out and delivered on its potential that was doubly exciting. But I really just have no use for handhelds. If I traveled for work like my brother in law (he spends 2-3 nights a week out of town) or something like that I would absolutely get one. I'm just here alone in my small apartment. I'm either sitting at my desk with my PC, or sitting on the couch looking at my TV and all my systems. I just can't imagine the scenario in which I actually use the Deck nearly enough to justify the purchase. 

I have heard that for some people it grows on them. Like I wanted it for travel but with WFH I can become a hermit. I still use it because its nice to play games whike on my massage chair or laying down on the sofa.

Edit: I could theoretically add you to the list. I have 1 more friend to give my Next to when I get a 6800u device. So you can have it (probably the Aya Neo Geek) Like that you can try it out and see where it goes.

It’s hard to explain why handheld gaming at home even when you could just use your big tv is great, but it is! Watching tv and gaming is the obvious one. But even if I’m just laying in bed for whatever, I like gaming on tv like that sometimes, but something about handheld is more relaxing like reading a book.

2 hours ago, stepee said:

It’s hard to explain why handheld gaming at home even when you could just use your big tv is great, but it is! Watching tv and gaming is the obvious one. But even if I’m just laying in bed for whatever, I like gaming on tv like that sometimes, but something about handheld is more relaxing like reading a book.

Because handhelds are immediate. You pick it up and start playing wherever you are. The only issue is the battery life.  Nothing bums me out more than a dead handheld. 

• True 1

4 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Because handhelds are immediate. You pick it up and start playing wherever you are. The only issue is the battery life.  Nothing bums me out more than a dead handheld. 

I think it's also a comfort thing. Before I'd need to have my PC on the TV if I want to play on the couch. Now grab Neo or Deck and off I go.

Also Status report.

The new case is alot nicer then the regular case and I am still testing the screens. So far I wanna say the colors look better on this one but the anti-glare coating kinda makes thing slightly smuggy. Gonna try to do some time of no wifi side by side to get a better feel for it.

BTW I wish the Deck had Wifi 6E.

• True 1

1 hour ago, Zaku3 said:

I think it's also a comfort thing. Before I'd need to have my PC on the TV if I want to play on the couch. Now grab Neo or Deck and off I go.

Also Status report.

The new case is alot nicer then the regular case and I am still testing the screens. So far I wanna say the colors look better on this one but the anti-glare coating kinda makes thing slightly smuggy. Gonna try to do some time of no wifi side by side to get a better feel for it.

BTW I wish the Deck had Wifi 6E.

I have been pretty happy with the colors for a lcd, at least a lot better than old switch, though of course no oled.

On 6/24/2022 at 10:16 AM, stepee said:

Played through some KOF15 last night, looks and runs fantastic on deck. Seems over 3 hours maxed (minus rt) at 800p/60. This thing is crazy for fighting games, makes me wish the dpad was better! Got USF4/SF5, Strive, KOF15, Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 all loaded up along with every 2D capcom/snk arcade fighter. 

Have you tried all of these fighting games? They all run well? Have you tried any others?

24 minutes ago, stepee said:

I have been pretty happy with the colors for a lcd, at least a lot better than old switch, though of course no oled.

Ok did a sidr by side with the same image from SRW30. The colors are basically the same there might br a small benefit to the etched glass. Unless you need the antiglare coating or future models include an OLED on only the top models I recommend skipping them and getting the cheapest model and changing the SSD.

Lol I saw some dude cut a 2280 SSD to fit and it worked. 

1 hour ago, Hurricane Game said:

Have you tried all of these fighting games? They all run well? Have you tried any others?

I’ve tried them all and they all run great at 60fps, I think I might have lowered some settings for Strive but most of them maxed. Also tried Tekken 7, Injustice 2, Soul Calibur 6, and MK11. The only issue I had so far was desync online in MK11, but I read other people it was fine, so might have just been my shitty wifi in my room. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, stepee said:

I’ve tried them all and they all run great at 60fps, I think I might have lowered some settings for Strive but most of them maxed. Also tried Tekken 7, Injustice 2, Soul Calibur 6, and MK11. The only issue I had so far was desync online in MK11, but I read other people it was fine, so might have just been my shitty wifi in my room. 

Last question I promise, this all using SteamOS and not Windows, correct?

3 minutes ago, Hurricane Game said:

Last question I promise, this all using SteamOS and not Windows, correct?

lol ask away! It’s not like talking about steam deck isn’t my favorite thing. Yep, I have Windows set up to dual boot off a nvme usb stick, but I haven’t had to use it for any fighters. Kingdom Hearts 3, Thps1/2, Bloody Zombies, are the only games period that haven’t ran for me so far in steam os.

• Like 1

Just saw I had a shipping update also coming from FedEx. Looks like Friday by the end of the day, excited and yet kind of bummed too. Oh well what's just one more week! I bought USBC to Ethernet cable for faster downloads if need be and also my second SanDisc 1Tb Ultra Micro SD card for $129.99 on amazon. The other is in my Switch and it's a massive amount of storage for that system. I'm sure it's not so much in the Steam Deck. I have like 650Mb free on Switch!

I got the 512 with the Anti-glare screen, has anyone put one of the Glass screen protectors on theirs? I have one on my Switch and it's fantastic. I'm thinking of getting one, Thoughts?

GLASS Screen Protector for Steam Deck

I only got a screen protector for my switch because people said the screen gets scratched if you put it in the dock. But I never ended up putting mine in the dock. Also, I'm not too fond of putting screen protectors on touch screen devices (I don't have any on my phone or ipad) so I didn't get one for the deck.

On 7/8/2022 at 12:56 PM, TheLeon said:

FFXIV in the tub.

Also mine gets here tomorrow! Can't wait! Not because of portability, I also don't play games much out of the house since I'm usually out to DO something and don't spend a lot of time waiting. But sometimes the wife and daughter are asleep and my PC is in our bedroom just due to the logistics of our building and being able to just go do some PC gaming in the living room without running wires or streaming would be neat! Also ain't paying for some pricey ass laptop.

WWW.AMAZON.COM

Also I bought one of these last year for my outdoor security job. For comparison, the Deck has just over 5,300 or so mAh battery capacity. I used to keep my Note 20 Ultra at 100% through an 8 hour shift + commute and this damn monster charger wouldn't even be 1/5th depleted. I could legit use it all week long without a charge, but even if I needed to, it can get a full charge in just 3 hours!

Plus since I'm used to carrying it (I just stick it in a jacket pocket, or set it on a table/seat if using it out and about or at home and charging everyones' phones) I won't have to adapt at all. I can just keep this fuckin' Deck running all day!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

FFXIV in the tub.

Also mine gets here tomorrow! Can't wait! Not because of portability, I also don't play games much out of the house since I'm usually out to DO something and don't spend a lot of time waiting. But sometimes the wife and daughter are asleep and my PC is in our bedroom just due to the logistics of our building and being able to just go do some PC gaming in the living room without running wires or streaming would be neat! Also ain't paying for some pricey ass laptop.

WWW.AMAZON.COM

Also I bought one of these last year for my outdoor security job. For comparison, the Deck has just over 5,300 or so mAh battery capacity. I used to keep my Note 20 Ultra at 100% through an 8 hour shift + commute and this damn monster charger wouldn't even be 1/5th depleted. I could legit use it all week long without a charge, but even if I needed to, it can get a full charge in just 3 hours!

Plus since I'm used to carrying it (I just stick it in a jacket pocket, or set it on a table/seat if using it out and about or at home and charging everyones' phones) I won't have to adapt at all. I can just keep this fuckin' Deck running all day!

What's the difference between the one you posted and this one?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08FX1V9VP/?coliid=I3HUM1Z78N4ROO&colid=35Q6JMJNNOPP8&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

1 hour ago, Hurricane Game said:

Mine only does 45W instead of 60W, which is fine as the Steam charges at 20W normally and I think can do up to 45W max. (i.e. charging and playing a game at the same time maybe? Dunno don't own one yet!)

Besides that, mine has a capacity of 26,800 mAh, while that one has 19,200. Which is a difference of over one full Steam Deck charge.

So basically you save $50, get a faster charging speed, but lose some capacity. Still a fine deal, and far more than enough.

However, there's 30, 40 and even 50k mAh (maybe higher) power banks out there. As I haven't really checked in since I got mine, I'm not sure which of them are high quality though. I imagine some may be getting high capacity but low charging speed, less ports, bulkier size, or less reliable batteries.

But that's just speculation. Maybe there's some awesome form-factor 50k mAh charger that's super fast at charging and will last 10 years! Gotta shop around and check out some reviews. For now I'm more than happy with mine though. Thing is built like a fuckin' tank, could bludgeon a man to death with it and not interrupt my Deck charging.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1