Valve drops a Tim Epic-approved steamer!

Hurricane Game

I think I'm gonna keep it on Windows. OMG I can run Xenonauts.

Though I think the Steam Deck formated my SD card in such a way I can't see it in Windows. Doesnt work on the deck or my laptop. Ordered a replacement 1TB card.

Also I installed TW Warhammer 2. It runs but on low settings anywhere between 40-22 FPS. Maybe when we get a 7xxx series APU for the Deck or a Chinese handheld gets a 7800u. 

The colors are a bit better in the Neo Next but power, comfort, and track pads put the Deck ahead.

2 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

Though I think the Steam Deck formated my SD card in such a way I can't see it in Windows. Doesnt work on the deck or my laptop. Ordered a replacement 1TB card.

Yeah when you put it in the deck it formats it for Linux so then windows won't be able to recognize it.

That's why I showed that file transfer program to @stepee because you can't transfer files between a windows machine and linux machine just by using the card anymore.

5 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

I think I'm gonna keep it on Windows. OMG I can run Xenonauts.

Also I installed TW Warhammer 2. It runs but on low settings anywhere between 40-22 FPS. Maybe when we get a 7xxx series APU for the Deck or a Chinese handheld gets a 7800u. 

The colors are a bit better in the Neo Next but power, comfort, and track pads put the Deck ahead.

What is your opinion on Xenonauts? I put original X-Com as a top 5 all time. I Kickstarted Xenonauts but just got distracted by other things when it released and never gave it a shot. Now I've been in the years-long wait for Xenonauts 2 and not sure if I should be excited.

4 minutes ago, ThreePi said:

What is your opinion on Xenonauts? I put original X-Com as a top 5 all time. I Kickstarted Xenonauts but just got distracted by other things when it released and never gave it a shot. Now I've been in the years-long wait for Xenonauts 2 and not sure if I should be excited.

It's the best non-Xcom Xcom. It's faithful to the original while modernizing it. The art style might not be your cup of tea but if you want to play Xcom and have a tactical combat experience then Xenonauts is it. I tried it on the deck but clicking doesn't work.

1 hour ago, Zaku3 said:

It's the best non-Xcom Xcom. It's faithful to the original while modernizing it. The art style might not be your cup of tea but if you want to play Xcom and have a tactical combat experience then Xenonauts is it. I tried it on the deck but clicking doesn't work.

Good to hear, I'll probably still wait for Xenonauts 2 just because I have a lot of games on my plate already. I was just concerned because as beloved as original X-Com was, I'd figure a faithful remake would have made more of a stir when it launched. I imagine a lot of people out there were like me who kind of bounced off the reboot as kind of being too slimmed down from the original experience. 

45 minutes ago, ThreePi said:

Good to hear, I'll probably still wait for Xenonauts 2 just because I have a lot of games on my plate already. I was just concerned because as beloved as original X-Com was, I'd figure a faithful remake would have made more of a stir when it launched. I imagine a lot of people out there were like me who kind of bounced off the reboot as kind of being too slimmed down from the original experience. 

Ya I like the reboot but I wish it was more faithful to the original. I do like Xcom2 more since it's cool having an insurgency vs the foul xenos.

Oh man I got the arcade collection really boosted up now with most classic 2D games. Konami, Capcom, Taito, SNK, Namco, etc, all the good shit. Missing System 32, I don’t have a good collection of those, need to find them. But man this rules. I’ll have to do 3D sega stuff next. And eventually organize this stuff lol. Got some good dreamcast action going as well. Marvel vs Capcom 2 rules on this!!

Wait so how the hell do you get game pass to use the gamepad in Windows on deck? I installed Windows on a small usb c drive and it’s working fine it seems, got all the drivers in and all activated and all that jazz. This is nice because I want to keep steam os and this keeps things totally separate for just things steamos can’t run. I’ll see how it works with something heavier so I’m downloading Horizon 5 to a micro sd card now.

But the gamepad isn’t working right, surely there is an easy way, do I need to set up a key mapping thing like xpadder or what?

This is what I used for running windows off usb if anyone else wants an easy way to jump to game pass: 

04JaFwNfmAfSgLOf2jFZ56b-60.fit_lim.size_
WWW.PCMAG.COM

Loading and running Windows 10 or Windows 11 from a USB drive is a handy option when you're using a computer saddled with an older operating system.

Here’s how I got gamepad working for gamepass:

This would obviously work best with a ssd in a usb c enclosure which maybe I’ll do eventually but I’m just using this and it’s enough for Deaths Door and Tmnt and stuff like that at least:

WWW.AMAZON.COM

• Like 1

Yeah Horizon 5 is too much for this set up. At least from a micro sd card and there isn’t enough room for it on the usb drive (the program split my 256gb in two drives in the free version). It runs okay actually when you get in but the load time is insane like 5 minutes and it crashed every time pretty early on.

I’m not sure if I’ll want to bother reformatting this thing and installing Windows again to see if running it off the usb drive works but at least I can play the smaller gamepass stuff for now.

Man I wish I were more tech savvy on this thing but at least I finally got my download speed increased from a measly 11 to low 90’s for my game downloads. One step at a time and here’s hoping a SD Card is in my near future, like a week tomorrow for my BDay.

• Halal 2

I reinstalled windows with rufus (second option in the link I provided) and that worked much better and is completely free. Have full use of the usb stick storage now so Im installing Horizon 5 on it to see if that makes a difference vs sd card. 

But anyway if anyone stumbles upon this and is trying to play game pass on the deck and have the gamepad work, grab this to get with the video from phawx:

GITHUB.COM

Changes: Updated handling for UWP games - all games should now show up in the list Updated OpenSSL license date bunch of build system changes so appveyor works with my config As a...

The official link is gone because he’s working on a new program but that one isn’t working yet and there isn’t an installer for it so it’s a bitch to find.

Also pro tip if using windows, pin the virtual keyboard (under accessibility in start menu) to the taskbar. You need that a lot here.

1 hour ago, stepee said:

I reinstalled windows with rufus (second option in the link I provided) and that worked much better and is completely free. Have full use of the usb stick storage now so Im installing Horizon 5 on it to see if that makes a difference vs sd card. 

But anyway if anyone stumbles upon this and is trying to play game pass on the deck and have the gamepad work, grab this to get with the video from phawx:

GITHUB.COM

Changes: Updated handling for UWP games - all games should now show up in the list Updated OpenSSL license date bunch of build system changes so appveyor works with my config As a...

The official link is gone because he’s working on a new program but that one isn’t working yet and there isn’t an installer for it so it’s a bitch to find.

Also pro tip if using windows, pin the virtual keyboard (under accessibility in start menu) to the taskbar. You need that a lot here.

Windows 11 has a better touch keyboard then W10 as an FYI. 

Ok yeah this 150mb/s usb drive does not handle running both Horizon 5 off of it as the OS drive lol - it loads eventually and is perfectly playable when it does but it takes a few minutes just for windows to load up on this thing.

I like the idea of being able to do this now, at least until Valve does a dual boot update, so I’m going to try this mini nvme usb drive tomorrow:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07XL6QYMV/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Theoretically that should work, though I’ll see how well it works especially while connected through a dock so it can charge and run off the external ssd at the same time.

Also got it just cuz it looked kewl.

I gotta do that pawx video so I can play with nonsteam games.

I think I feel comfortable we got a driver update this month which I wasn't expecting so maybe AMD will keep on top of it. Makes sense with the rumors of a little Phoenix.

I didn't know 4k OLED portable monitors exist. Hella tempting.

23 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

Well I downloaded GlosSI. Ran it but not working. 

Don’t download that, doesn’t work. Phawx says so in the video. Use the link for GLosc I provided, it’s not available on the link he links to in the video so that’s what for me as well.

GITHUB.COM

Changes: Updated handling for UWP games - all games should now show up in the list Updated OpenSSL license date bunch of build system changes so appveyor works with my...

Also phawx doesn’t mention this but make sure you add one non steam shortcut in steam first, doesn’t matter what, just add wordpad or something 

1 hour ago, stepee said:

Don’t download that, doesn’t work. Phawx says so in the video. Use the link for GLosc I provided, it’s not available on the link he links to in the video so that’s what for me as well.

GITHUB.COM

Changes: Updated handling for UWP games - all games should now show up in the list Updated OpenSSL license date bunch of build system changes so appveyor works with my...

Also phawx doesn’t mention this but make sure you add one non steam shortcut in steam first, doesn’t matter what, just add wordpad or something 

Ok gonna do it after work.

Also woot I won a steam controller on ebay. Figured Stellaris (insert other strategy game) would be more enjoyable from my massage chair.

Ooo snap. I missed the Aya Neo Next 2 announcement. (Looks at info wtf)

Steam Deckish sized Aya Nro with a RX6600 GPU.

I find that super compelling. I could theoritically use this for Total War Warhammer 3 games. Plus he listened to me and it has two track pads like the Deck.

Guess they found a way to sell me bother the Neo 2 and the Next 2.

I got my little nvme usb stick last night and installed Windows 10 again now it’s working very well! This will tide me over until Valve releases a dual boot, or maybe I’ll stick with this even then. I have a coupler and a male to male adapter coming which will allow me to just stick it on the deck without it dangling or when charging to have it just rest on the floor/bed. I’ll take pics when I get that stuff to show what I’m doing.

Horizon 5 is still the hardest on it, takes about 3 minutes from clicking on the icon to getting control of your car but I have a feeling that is the same or at least 2 minutes even installed to internal, the game just is huge also has tons of splash screens that soak up time.

Once in the game everything works normal and Horizon 5 is pretty amazing to have on a handheld! 

I need to check everything else now but smaller stuff worked on the shitty usb drive even so I’m not expecting issues.

Happy to have gamepass on here working well without giving up SteamOS. I might try Windows 11 upgrade next.

Ok yeah Kingdom Hearts 3 runs great in Windows off my usb nvme thingy, load times are great actually. Horizon 5 is an outlier and even that still works well enough and is amazing once in game.

Pretty happy with this set up, now I have full access to everything while keeping steamos for primary. Loading up them gamepass games now.

Just hope my extension and coupler ideas work and there isn’t a bandwidth or connection issue, if those work I’ll be all set tomorrow.

ok yeah using the usb c male to male adapter worked so I can use this to boot/run windows off of now without it dangling.

The coupler worked also to extend the cable out from the docking station which is is now i’m between the deck ac adapter and another charging cable:

A little hacky but decently elegant in order to have full speed use of both Windows and SteamOS without compromising either on the deck for now. Can also put some micro sds that sit in the docking station for extra space then whenever it’s plugged in without have to move cards around. 

I installed Win11 because Win10 was being buggy for me but I noticed that it seemed to get buggy especially installing gamepass stuff to the micro sd card, so I might hold off on that for a bit before trying it again, should have just got the 1tb version of the nvme usb instead of the 512gb for $40 more but wasn’t sure if this would work.

The most inconvenient part of this solution now just that since there is only one usb c port on the deck, you have to shut down the system and then plug the usb c nvme into the docking station and then power it back on when you run low on juice and need to plug it in. Not exactly hard but Valve could probably have fit one more usb c port in this huge fucking thing lol.

9 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

I just checked my reservation for the Deck and I got bumped back to Q3 - meaning I won't get the thing until October at the earliest. This SUUUUUUUUUCCCKKKSSS

It's Q3 right now. They've finished shipping out Q2. They also said they've stepped up production so you will probably get one soon. Just make sure you check your email more often than you already are.

• Haha 1
  • Halal 1