Valve drops a Tim Epic-approved steamer!

Hurricane Game

I love this thing so fucking much I want to marry it and have its babies it’s so good. Everything here is so well designed, I hope they release an update every two yearsish so I never have to be tempted by a non Valve one. Give me an oled hdr 720p screen somehow in late 23 with a 7800 or something for 60fps everything current gen and let’s keep this train going.

• Sicko 1
  • Sicko Sherman 2

3 hours ago, stepee said:

I love this thing so fucking much I want to marry it and have its babies it’s so good. Everything here is so well designed, I hope they release an update every two yearsish so I never have to be tempted by a non Valve one. Give me an oled hdr 720p screen somehow in late 23 with a 7800 or something for 60fps everything current gen and let’s keep this train going.

I'll be on board later than sooner!

On 7/3/2022 at 10:57 AM, Keyser_Soze said:

It's Q3 right now. They've finished shipping out Q2. They also said they've stepped up production so you will probably get one soon. Just make sure you check your email more often than you already are.

Yeah. Well, I was originally told that I would get my system by August. So now that it's not shipping until October, I'm a bit bummed. Guess I'll be "slumming it" with the Switch a while longer! :p 

Man this really runs almost everything besides gamepass (though most games on game pass run if you buy them on steam or something else). The compatibility on steamos is way higher than I expected when seeing for myself what can actually run. I’ve tried dozens of games, maybe even 50 or so, and the only two that haven’t ran so far are Kingdom Hearts 3 and THPS 1-2 HD. And of course now I just boot to windows and run those two anyway. :D

On 7/3/2022 at 12:16 PM, stepee said:

I like the size of it and the track pads but I find myself drawn back to the Next after the initial hype of I got windows working and more or less set up how I want.

My concern for the Next 2 is the track pads. They look so far down they might not be comfortable to use. 

I hope I get my Deck this week want to compare the screens and determine if I should keep that one or the 64GB I got now. If I keep the 512 I am gonna need to remove the SSD I currently have.

Edit: I think it's a combo of the screen and the set up of the Neo for using it in Windows that makes it a more pleasant experience.

The Deck's version of Steam OS is so much nicer than booting into windows, I basically have no plans to install Windows on principle :p Also, I want to do what I can to encourage more devs to embrace linux gaming because gaming is the only reason I have a Windows PC. 

The Deck's power off (well, sleep mode really) while a game is running and then resuming works very well too. Do any of the Windows handhelds handle that well too? (Honest question)

On 7/5/2022 at 8:10 PM, legend said:

The Deck's version of Steam OS is so much nicer than booting into windows, I basically have no plans to install Windows on principle :p Also, I want to do what I can to encourage more devs to embrace linux gaming because gaming is the only reason I have a Windows PC. 

The Deck's power off (well, sleep mode really) while a game is running and then resuming works very well too. Do any of the Windows handhelds handle that well too? (Honest question)

GITHUB.COM

Fixed bug where TDP would not apply after system sleep

Windows TDP controls.

Sleep works on a per game basis. Most I have tried work but some might revert to window or the desktop. So far only Divinity 1 crashed but it  crashed  on my second attempt. This message was sent from W11 on the  deck.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, HardAct said:

For what ever reason I started to get excited again about maybe getting this soon. Still says July-September but I'm hopeful that it will be in this month!

What was your time? I think I posted mine and I got my notice Monday.

Friday I get it.

• Halal 2

1 hour ago, Zaku3 said:

What was your time? I think I posted mine and I got my notice Monday.

Friday I get it.

No notice yet but I'm checking daily so we shall see I guess....Is it pointless to check daily? I have heard that notices are usually Mondays and baring any holiday I would think?

11 minutes ago, HardAct said:

No notice yet but I'm checking daily so we shall see I guess....Is it pointless to check daily? I have heard that notices are usually Mondays and baring any holiday I would think?

Mine hit on monday even though July 4th. I opened up my laptop and it was just there.

I know that I have no use for a Steam Deck. I don’t really travel, I live alone (no arguing over the big screen or whatever), I don’t even play my Switch in handheld mode. This would be nothing more than an expensive novelty for me, but you excitable jerks have me considering blowing a significant percentage of my disposable income on one of these stupid things. I’m mostly blaming @stepee 

• Sicko 1

21 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

I know that I have no use for a Steam Deck. I don’t really travel, I live alone (no arguing over the big screen or whatever), I don’t even play my Switch in handheld mode. This would be nothing more than an expensive novelty for me, but you excitable jerks have me considering blowing a significant percentage of my disposable income on one of these stupid things. I’m mostly blaming @stepee 

Don't do it. I'm just like you as well in terms of not playing handhelds etc. Stepee is a monster. 

• Sicko 1

4 hours ago, Zaku3 said:

Out for delivery. Gonna give it to my friend. Mad excited b3cause I get to give him a steam deck and also I havent seen him in forever and finnally get to meet his baby.

10 hours ago, best3444 said:

Don't do it. I'm just like you as well in terms of not playing handhelds etc. Stepee is a monster. 

11 hours ago, TheLeon said:

I FEEL YOU MAN!

Really the only option is to buy it and blame Stepee!! rinse and repeat :cheers:   lol

I don't play my Series X, PS5 or Switch and I just bought one! 512gig Steam Deck: I've been in a weird gaming mindset as of late. Even my wife has been playing games {Tablet & Phone Android games} more than me the last 6 months. I have so many games I'm kind'a in a frozen state when I try to decide what to play and end up playing nothing! I think age is a huge part but I still carry the hype for new games, especially gaming tech.

This is on top of planning a complete NEW BUILD gaming rig as soon as I can get a 4080Ti at retail price with out paying any bullshit up'sales from scalpers and the like. Probable around February-March next year. This will be my final gaming rig for a long time barring any issues of course. I honestly feel that these new cards will handle anything I would ever want to play for at least 5-6 years with modest upgrades if necessary. Of course I'm not fooling myself, I'll build more down the line but the one I have now is still a really great PC {2080Ti, I79700k, 32Gig DDR4 3200} and we have FINALLY gotten to the point where I'll be able to give this one to my Son and his family and that always feels good. 

Losing my life long gaming collection in the Camp fire has fueled a lot of this as I only had a Switch when all was said and done and it didn't even have a dock. I'll never have what I had of course but I have some great stuff again and we have rebounded much better than most 3 years after. I do prefer to PC game so The Steam Deck sounds and looks incredible and I am very excited. I have a monster Steam Library that will get better attention for sure and that's a good thing! I have played less than 5 hours a week for quite a few months and it's depressing on it's own.  

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, TheLeon said:

It might not apply for you but having your whole (more or less) steam library available on a handheld is compelling. 

Like my desktop isn't turning on right now and I think it's either the RAM or mobo but I really don't want to fix it with Zen 4 coming out soon. Even tbough DDR5 is expensive I rather spend the time it takr to fix this issue to upgrade to Zen 4 since it'a gonna be out what in Sept/Oct. I'm 36 so I'm probably 40ish% of the way 5hrough my life and I rather spend that repair time on more performance then just fixing my stuff. I am doing okay with the Neo and Area 51 m17.

6 minutes ago, HardAct said:

I FEEL YOU MAN!

Really one the one thing to do, buy it and blame Stepee!!

I don't play my Series X, PS5 or Switch and I just bought one! 512gig Steam Deck: I've been in a weird gaming mindset as of late. Even my wife has been playing games more than me the last 6 months. I have so many games I'm kind'a in a frozen state when I try to decide what to play and end up playing nothing! I think age is a huge part but I still carry the hype for new games, especially gaming tech.

This is on top of planning a complete NEW BUILD gaming rig as soon as I can get a 4080Ti at retail price with out paying any bullshit up'sales from scalpers and the like. Probable around February-March next year. This will be my final gaming rig for a long time barring any issues of course. I honestly feel that these new cards will handle anything I would ever want to play for at least 5-6 years with modest upgrades if necessary. Of course I'm not fooling myself, I'll build more down the line but the one I have now is still a really great PC {2080Ti, I79700k, 32Gig DDR4 3200} and we have FINALLY gotten to the point where I'll be able to give this one to my Son and his family and that always feels good. 

Losing my life long gaming collection in the Camp fire has fueled a lot of this as I only had a Switch when all was said and done and it didn't even have a dock. I'll never have what I had of course but I have some great stuff again and we have rebounded much better than most 3 years after. I do prefer to PC game so The Steam Deck sounds and looks incredible and I am very excited. I have a monster Steam Library that will get better attention for sure and that's a good thing! I have played less than 5 hours a week for quite a few months and it's depressing on it's own.  

I have the same problem. I have so much stuff to play between steam, origin, gog, etc plus emulators that I dunno what to play.

• Haha 1