Valve drops a Tim Epic-approved steamer!

Hurricane Game

27 minutes ago, best3444 said:

That's what I'm doing now is beating GOW before the weekend is over. I'm prepping for God of War Ragnarök and I'm excited now. 

Also, the deck sounds so amazing. Incredible technology for sure.

I always get afraid of getting worn out of a type of game by playing the original again right before the sequel so I never do that. I want GOW2 especially to be fresh because I plan to really dive into that one. Sometimes I might do the other way around though and play the original after the sequel again as if it were a prequel.

• Like 1
  • True 1

3 hours ago, stepee said:

I always get afraid of getting worn out of a type of game by playing the original again right before the sequel so I never do that. I want GOW2 especially to be fresh because I plan to really dive into that one. Sometimes I might do the other way around though and play the original after the sequel again as if it were a prequel.

I know exactly what you mean but I just got the itch to play this and I'm bored to tears lol 

On 9/7/2022 at 3:52 PM, stepee said:

@GameDadGrant so you play anything?

Ironically, my son has put the most time into it. He plays Apex on it and some other game. I've got Forza and Street Fighter V queued up on my Steam account. I've actually been ill the last few days (not COVID, thankfully) but I'm going to try to put in some time with my Deck tonight. Especially since my son will be distracted by Splatoon 3 now, haha. 

• Halal 2

3 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

There are ways of getting console games running on a Linux PC, but I believe the rule about not discussing these things on D1P still stands.  A google search can probably help you though. 

39 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

Reveal your secrets!

it's no secret or taboo, it's been outlined in this thread how to do it many times.

Man I hope game pass comes soon to SteamOS though; I realized I don’t even want Windows at all actually. I just want gamepass on SteamOS (edit: oh and better support on epic launcher) and I’m good. For now I’ve just been using moonlight from my desktop for gamepass which works very well, but obviously suspend isn’t the same with it. 

I’m really enjoying Disney Crossing on deck but I’m tempted to just buy it on Steam and transfer my save just because I want suspend to work with it.

The plus side of using moonlight of course is that rendering in 4k and streaming in 4k and then it downsampling to the 720p 7” screen makes for some super clean IQ.

Edit: On topic, Epic Launcher should release a native app and try to make their big games work on it and get cross save more universal. I used to not mind buying there for a good sale price, I was pretty launcher agnostic but now with the deck, I will only buy exclusives I really want no matter how good the sale.

I don’t know what the issue is with the epic launcher games but it’s really hit and miss compared to Steam. Tony Hawk, Saints Row, and Kingdom Hearts 3 being some big ones you need Windows boot for.

• Like 1

Halo MCC is on sale for $16 so I figured what the hell since I still need to play like 5 of the 6 games there (only really play ODST) that would be cool to have on steam deck and for the novelty of portable Halo being a thing. It runs beautifully but no multiplayer yet (though they say they are working on it) and you have to go into desktop mode and delete a file to get it to run. 

Without having really played Halo beyond some of the first level, that first level look is still so iconic that I find myself switching to the original visuals. The remaster just doesnt look as Alien and also it’s just too iconic looking and the remaster isn’t stylized towards that original look enough. 

Besides that and especially inside buildings it’s much better of course and the lighting is still pretty solid. Runs great at 800p/max/60, though maybe Halo4/2 are more demanding, didn’t try them, only 1 and Reach.

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps the biggest bit of info coming out of this is that according to "Edmundson, Valve has shipped over a million.  At about 29:45 in the above video in response to a question on it Edmundson said "They have crossed over a million, and they're still processing back orders". Valve haven't actually given out any numbers in public on it yet and Edmundson was not speaking for Valve but still, the answer was pretty confident and clear."

1720579813id21685gol.jpg
WWW.GAMINGONLINUX.COM

Recently at the Akademy 2022 conference, KDE's David Edmundson gave a talk on the Steam Deck and the ongoing work in KDE to improve things. We also get a note that Valve has shipped over a million Steam Deck units.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, thedarkstark said:

Ordered the dock as I dont own a usb c hub. I will give impressions once I get my grubby little hands on it.

Unless you're trying to use it as a second monitor I see no real reason to spend $90 over an generic $40 USB-C dock.

12 minutes ago, Jason said:

Unless you're trying to use it as a second monitor I see no real reason to spend $90 over an generic $40 USB-C dock.

I mean I agree the price is whack but it will look nice on the desk and presumably won't have to worry about it bricking the system due to cheap components.

If I had known it was going to cost $90 I probably wouldn't have waited for it, but since I did I'll pay a little extra for the aesthetic and piece of mind.