Valve drops a Tim Epic-approved steamer!

Hurricane Game

31 minutes ago, Jason said:

How big of a Dick Deck would you order? Definitely don't want 64 GB, not sure between 256 and 512 doe, especially given the SD card slot.

So it turns out that the micro sd is about as fast loading as the ssd with few exceptions and doesn’t affect performance at all. I don’t really notice a difference if one is on the other or not. 

It’s really about how much you care having on at one time without swapping cards. If you are fine with 1.25tb total, then get the 256gb. Especially since you can hot swap cards unlike switch so it’s real easy to have multiple sd cards filled with games.

Only get the 512gb if you feel you actually need 1.5tb at all times without swapping cards. Get a screen protector if you need anti glare.

You might then think why not the 64gb and just use micro sd cards, but the exception to the above is that shader cache saves to the ssd and you want that to be able to build up so your games don’t stutter.

I bought the 512gb and I have no regrets other than how long it took to get because of the initial queue size.The anti-glare screen is nice especially if you don't plan on using a screen protector.

The SD slot does work flawlessly, but I hate deleting/moving games when I run out of space and 256gb might only hold 2-3 meatier games (NBA 2K & Mass Effect Legendary edition are both like 120gb)

Personally I don't see why you'd opt for 256gb over the 64gb if you plan to store most of your games on SD card anyways.

• Like 1

Figured I'd chime in on how my Deck experience has been going thus far. I'm lovin' it quite honestly. 

I don't remember if I mentioned it before, but I played The Vanishing of Ethan Carter on the Deck, plus The Stanley Parable, which both played, and felt great on the system. I also started playing The Turing Test, but I put that on the back burner. I did attempt to install, and try and play Mafia (decided to splurge on the Mafia Trilogy), but to no avail. 

I also bought Terminator Resistance, so decided to give that a go, despite it not being verified for Steam Deck, and wouldn't you know it? The game plays flawlessly on the Deck. I've been playing that exclusively on the Deck, and it's been an overall great experience. 

This is also the point where I started using the right trackpad for use in aiming, and it took some adjustments (make sure to turn off the track ball mode!), but once I got that, it felt broadly similar to using a mouse on a pad. The trackpads I think overall work great for FPS games, but there is a slight learning curve if you've been used to KB/M for years like I have. 

I'm hoping to be done with Resistance soon so I can start playing Alien Isolation, which I'd like to try out with headphones to get that full experience, you know? 

• Hugs 1

The Steam Deck's UI is being adapted for Steam's Big Picture Mode:

bd3040bfc111f9a345544034d7a986df850888a1
STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

We are preparing to update Big Picture mode with the new interface we designed for Steam Deck, and today we’re making it available for testing. This update has been a long time coming, and we’re very excited to start gathering community feedback. This controller-first interface was designed for Steam Deck in handheld and docked mode, and is perfect for all the scenarios Big Picture mode currently handles.

We are preparing to update Big Picture mode with the new interface we designed for Steam Deck, and today we’re making it available for testing. This update has been a long time coming, and we’re very excited to start gathering community feedback.

• Like 1

Per SteamDB, Valve is seemingly working on peer-to-peer Steam downloads on LAN.

FgGJ408X0AAuXHW?format=jpg&name=large

According to the SteamDB creator:

A good example would be downloading games on Steam Deck directly from your PC instead of the internet.

If it will read installed game on disk, that should also avoid the decryption step for each chunk.

2 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Per SteamDB, Valve is seemingly working on peer-to-peer Steam downloads on LAN.

FgGJ408X0AAuXHW?format=jpg&name=large

According to the SteamDB creator:

Nobody asked for this. Which is awesome, I never even thought of that and it’s such a great idea I love it.

A bit annoyed with the deck for the first time recently though I’m not sure how much is it’s fault specifically. But Steam keeps giving me these ridiculous patches where I have to redownload the whole game basically but then it seems like it’s replacing the data or something so it takes even longer? It’s doing this for Street Fighter 5 on an older 400gb card right now and it looks like it will take a couple hours and I don’t understand why this is needed.

Batman did this where it took for fucking ever, and COD did this as well. It seems like when it’s updating with these patches where it redownloads the whole game, if I pause it then it starts all over. So I kept running into issues where I had to just sit there forever and couldn’t use the damn thing because I have to wait for these forever patches to install.

Then when this was happening with COD I said fuck it and just uninstalled it with the intent to reinstall it thinking that would be quicker. It then hung on uninstalling for forever and I couldn’t tell if it was actually doing anything or not so I rebooted.

Ended up with my 1tb card so corrupted that it’s essentially become a physical virus where I can put it in any device and it just will shut that device down. I did a successful reformat in Windows once but then tried to format it back to deck and yeah it just locks up systems, Windows or linux,  trying to get anything to happen with it now.

So now I had to spend $140 for another 1tb card, sucks there isn’t at least a 2tb to upgrade to or anything to give it a positive spin.

I noticed though they are the same class that my 1tb card used to be way faster than my older 400gb cards when installing stuff, those take forever. So anyway I’m hoping it’s just my cards are old and I had a series of annoying events and that these ridiculous time sucking patches won’t be a thing going forward.

I lean towards the cards are old. I'm too high to explain my reasoning but the possiblity of 2 old cards fucking up seems more likely to me.

I think it's because you had trouble in both Windows and Linux with it. 

Wait dude are the games you are trying to play on the card. Because I have never had steam do that to me unless there is going to be a problem with my drive in the future. Like the deck is probably trying to load the game, it doesn't see the files and then is trying to reinstall the game.

1 hour ago, Zaku3 said:

I lean towards the cards are old. I'm too high to explain my reasoning but the possiblity of 2 old cards fucking up seems more likely to me.

I think it's because you had trouble in both Windows and Linux with it. 

Wait dude are the games you are trying to play on the card. Because I have never had steam do that to me unless there is going to be a problem with my drive in the future. Like the deck is probably trying to load the game, it doesn't see the files and then is trying to reinstall the game.

Yeah the games are on the card lol. I will say the Batman one it did do that on my desktop also, but I haven’t noticed it much on desktop, though it could be because that runs in the background.

Steam deck only updates when it’s on which makes it super noticeable. 

I hope it is the cards though and it’ll all be fine once I put the new one in. I do swap cards also, which may cause some bug to appear, if that’s the case maybe I should stop until it lets me just run multiple sd cards off a dock without having to swap.

edit: See it JUST finished the SF5 update 4 hours later (40gb) but now lol it’s stuck at verification and taking forever on that. Now it’s about time to play but I don’t want to restart the whole thing.

It only happened to me once but the deck stopped reading the memory card so things appeared to not be there (I wrote about it in this thread at the time) but I restarted the deck and it came back. Probably not what's happening to you, but restarting the deck might help.

On top of that last week there were a bunch of system updates not installing and I had to restart the deck and everything was fine.

Yeah I’ve restarted it ofc. @Zaku3 yeah they work fine off the ssd. It’s weird after SF5 then it went in to a 56mb guilty gear sigma patch, and that one is like some others i’ve seen where it’s not doing a full download and just shows 56mb/56mb downloaded but then by the disk icon it shows 1gb/29gb or whatever and it’s even slower than downloading. strange.

9 hours ago, stepee said:

Yeah I’ve restarted it ofc. @Zaku3 yeah they work fine off the ssd. It’s weird after SF5 then it went in to a 56mb guilty gear sigma patch, and that one is like some others i’ve seen where it’s not doing a full download and just shows 56mb/56mb downloaded but then by the disk icon it shows 1gb/29gb or whatever and it’s even slower than downloading. strange.

I'd consider a reformat but I lean towards the SD card still tbh.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok handheld gaming as we know it may be dead to me. Saw aome chinese dude disassemble a joycon handle and doublesided tape them to his ASUS Flow x16. It's now on my to do list. I might want to buy a Flow x13 when ada cards come out to see if that size is more practical then the x16. Still handheldish 3060 gaming.

26 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

Ok handheld gaming as we know it may be dead to me. Saw aome chinese dude disassemble a joycon handle and doublesided tape them to his ASUS Flow x16. It's now on my to do list. I might want to buy a Flow x13 when ada cards come out to see if that size is more practical then the x16. Still handheldish 3060 gaming.

Bud this looks silly af. No way you can hold that up for a decent amount of time. 

• True 1

Sounds like the Steam Deck will be more console like in having generations instead of releasing yearly updates with the latest chips. I’m ok with it. Just release a deck with OLED and a better fan as we wait for Deck 2. I’ll buy it. 

• True 1

15 minutes ago, Brian said:

Sounds like the Steam Deck will be more console like in having generations instead of releasing yearly updates with the latest chips. I’m ok with it. Just release a deck with OLED and a better fan as we wait for Deck 2. I’ll buy it. 

Yeah I’m good with the specs honestly, haven’t played anything yet that I can’t run at native res/30, until that’s no longer the case I’m good for a handheld. But please yes give me a pro model with an oled display. I’ll give them as much money as they want the better they can make the display. Would pay 1k for the same model but oled/120/hdr (120 for when I’m using moonlight to stream from my pc) - it would be purfect then. 

• Sicko 1

1 hour ago, stepee said:

Yeah I’m good with the specs honestly, haven’t played anything yet that I can’t run at native res/30, until that’s no longer the case I’m good for a handheld. But please yes give me a pro model with an oled display. I’ll give them as much money as they want the better they can make the display. Would pay 1k for the same model but oled/120/hdr (120 for when I’m using moonlight to stream from my pc) - it would be purfect then. 

I feel like a fiend chasing I guess 1200p 60FPS on a handheld.

3 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

I feel like a fiend chasing I guess 1200p 60FPS on a handheld.

Its such a huge generation leap in the handheld space with just a deck coming from the Switch - that I’m content for now - being able to set the refresh to 40hz also does a lot of heavy lifting for me!

I would like maybe a 1080p display also but just for streaming, 720p looks good on 7” so it’s not worth the power hit to me, would take battery if playing native.

• Like 1

I was hoping that we'd see a Steam Deck 2 sooner than later. It both feels like a product that Valve has a lot to lean from, and new chips seem to present a significant opportunity for better performance. I suppose they have a limited capability to both properly support the first generation and iterate on the next one, but I was still hoping for more regular hardware updates.

For how I play moonlight just works SO good it’s hard to justify playing native sometimes, you only get the resume functionality out of native when playing at home, IQ, frame rate, and graphics are all better on moonlight. I still play a lot of native but a lot of the time I think that’s just psychologically I’m not used to full streaming yet.

But also I don’t want to use a phone or something for that, I still want it through steam deck specifically, I want the controller customizability, the trackpads, etc. It all just works soooo good.

So yeah now my main want is oled/120hz/hdr so my handheld experience can be completely non compromised compared to my desktop experience if I want.

21 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I was hoping that we'd see a Steam Deck 2 sooner than later. It both feels like a product that Valve has a lot to lean from, and new chips seem to present a significant opportunity for better performance. I suppose they have a limited capability to both properly support the first generation and iterate on the next one, but I was still hoping for more regular hardware updates.

Time to get off the fence and buy one now.