Valve drops a Tim Epic-approved steamer!

Hurricane Game

wRNrQBVzzQ2aBTmbFDex2W-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

The company's full list of parts was mistakenly revealed early.

iFixit's selection of Steam Deck replacement parts is now fully live alongside an overview of the device's repairability. I was surprised at iFixit's repair score of 7/10 for the deck, but the company cites some problem areas like the thumbsticks, which require some disassembly and desoldering if you don't want to just buy an entirely new housing, as well as the battery, which lacks easy pull tabs and requires heat application and a pry tool to overcome its strong adhesive.

On 5/22/2022 at 7:49 AM, imthesoldier said:

How much for the entry level version though? 

With the 512gig model having an "etched glass screen" does that mean that those glass screen protectors can't be used? Who here has been using there 512g model? Pretty sure I'm august at the very least. Don't know why the wait this hard, it's not like I have nothing to PLAY or DO until then......

5 minutes ago, HardAct said:

With the 512gig model having an "etched glass screen" does that mean that those glass screen protectors can't be used? Who here has been using there 512g model? Pretty sure I'm august at the very least. Don't know why the wait this hard, it's not like I have nothing to PLAY or DO until then......

You could probably put one on but I'm not going to.

1 minute ago, HardAct said:

The etched glass screen is just that there isn't a layer of air between the actual LCD and the glass top. That helps with glare is my understanding. I ordered the 512GB but won't have it until Q3. The deck i bought is a 64GB model that the seller replaced the memory with a 1TB SSD.

You are hyped is all. Handheld PCs are quite frankly epic. I'm player Super Robot Wars 30 at work between calls. 

53 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

The etched glass screen is just that there isn't a layer of air between the actual LCD and the glass top. That helps with glare is my understanding. I ordered the 512GB but won't have it until Q3. The deck i bought is a 64GB model that the seller replaced the memory with a 1TB SSD.

You are hyped is all. Handheld PCs are quite frankly epic. I'm player Super Robot Wars 30 at work between calls. 

HYPED IS ALL....lol

No doubt, new tech gets me in that "special spot" all ways has, probably always will as I'm much older than average gamers to say the least. With tech moving at the rate it is now I feel one more balls to the wall Gaming PC build holiday next year or when ever one can buy a 4080Ti at MSRP and I might just be done. Meaning that 4k/120 should be a reasonable reality. I just can't see what I would want over that. I pulled the trigger on my TV's {65" LGCX & 83" LGC1} If I use all best quality parts and $3000-4000 dollar budget I might finally have my {Newest of course...lol} ultimate dream machine and maybe only just upgrade GPU and possibly CPU down the line. That's the plan, I usually build brand new everything every 4 years, but the Fire changed that obviously. 8k has never interested me, I'm just floored by the TVs I own now and kind a feel like I'm set. 

I do really want a Handheld Gaming PC though and the Steam Deck 512Gig with a 1Tb extreme SD card added will fit the bill nicely. Jealous of you all that own them already, but also I have the ability to read and better understand pros and cons for when I finally do join the Steam Deck club. Like most PC gamers out there I have a very large Steam Library with MANY indie like game that just seem perfect for this thing! 

It's here! I've been playing around with it a bit and so far I'm really liking it! Compared to the Switch, the Steam Deck is sooo much more comfortable to hold! The button placement and thumbsticks also feel so much better! Only downside I'm feeling so far are that the screen isn't isn't OLED, and the fan... the fan noise is very noticeable. Not a game breaker by any means, but even while browsing the Steam OS it is louder than I expected.

But damn, this thing is honestly much more comfortable to hold than I was expecting! Not nearly as heavy as I thought it would be. It's going to be weird trying to play my Switch in handheld mode after this...

• Like 2
  • Shocked 1

33 minutes ago, Raggit said:

It's here! I've been playing around with it a bit and so far I'm really liking it! Compared to the Switch, the Steam Deck is sooo much more comfortable to hold! The button placement and thumbsticks also feel so much better! Only downside I'm feeling so far are that the screen isn't isn't OLED, and the fan... the fan noise is very noticeable. Not a game breaker by any means, but even while browsing the Steam OS it is louder than I expected.

But damn, this thing is honestly much more comfortable to hold than I was expecting! Not nearly as heavy as I thought it would be. It's going to be weird trying to play my Switch in handheld mode after this...

Really am always surprised how comfortable everyone says it is, I guess I’ll have to just feel it for myself to understand.

12 hours ago, stepee said:

Really am always surprised how comfortable everyone says it is, I guess I’ll have to just feel it for myself to understand.

It is super comfortable to hold. If the device had good Windows support it would be perfect.

Oo i did try Windows on it but went back because it wasn't that easy to use. The options for using the steam controller on Windows was not designed for a 7in screen. Performance was a mixed bag. Dark Souls 3 ran better. Was hitting 60FPS but Elden Ring was the same as Steam OS from a FPS POV but it did have a bit of stuttering.

9 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

It is super comfortable to hold. If the device had good Windows support it would be perfect.

Oo i did try Windows on it but went back because it wasn't that easy to use. The options for using the steam controller on Windows was not designed for a 7in screen. Performance was a mixed bag. Dark Souls 3 ran better. Was hitting 60FPS but Elden Ring was the same as Steam OS from a FPS POV but it did have a bit of stuttering.

I’m really going to have to see why Windows is so annoying to control on this, is there not a mouse mode where you can use the analog stick to move the cursor and the triggers for left/right click like gpd? If there isn’t you can just use a program to map that and set some kind of hot key can’t you? I mean that’s all you really need. For things like drag and drop can’t you use the touchscreen?

3 minutes ago, stepee said:

I’m really going to have to see why Windows is so annoying to control on this, is there not a mouse mode where you can use the analog stick to move the cursor and the triggers for left/right click like gpd? If there isn’t you can just use a program to map that and set some kind of hot key can’t you? I mean that’s all you really need. For things like drag and drop can’t you use the touchscreen?

You have to have steam open for it to work but once you do you can use the track pad as a mouse and R2/L2 as a right/left click. I wanted to get into the steam controller menu to make hotkeys and such. So on the Neo A is left click and X is right click, left analog is the mouse, right analog is a scroll wheel, and you have some hot keys. The hot keys are either the smaller front button. I have it press for Windows keyboard and hold for crtl+alt+del. Also if you hold R1 and R2 the Dpad has hot keys as well. 

The steam deck is superior over all to the Neo Next but I prefer Windows still to steamOS. Just easier to use from the device itself. Oh also the screen has better colors and I'm a simple creature that likes bright colors. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, thedarkstark said:

Variable screen refresh rate has made it into the stable release :celebrate:

Wait lik freesync?

Also is there a way to play multiple games on steam. It be nice to play something while waiting for HOI4 lobby sim.

10 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

Wait lik freesync?

Also is there a way to play multiple games on steam. It be nice to play something while waiting for HOI4 lobby sim.

No like you.can manually choose the refresh rate of the screen and set to like 30 or 40hz sorry if there's a different term for that.

It had been available for about a month but only to people who opted into beta firmware until today. 

22 minutes ago, stepee said:

Apparently the new Kao Kangaroo which I was planning to get today is low res and drops into the 20’s on switch, so I need to wait for my deck for it. :/

Cmon Valve hurrrrrrry.

I’ll play it for you bud. 

3 hours ago, stepee said:

Apparently the new Kao Kangaroo which I was planning to get today is low res and drops into the 20’s on switch, so I need to wait for my deck for it. :/

Cmon Valve hurrrrrrry.

Steam Deck ftw.

1 minute ago, Zaku3 said:

Nintendo gonna ride that Tegra SOC until the wheels fall off.

Reallllly hoping next year is the year though. I still want a nice Nintendo handheld as well as a pc handheld. The oled is nice enough that I can ride it out another year but by 2024 if it’s still the same SOC that won’t fly for me and it’ll be more like the wiiu where I only barely use it for the must haves.

5 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

That fan curve update is great. Playing the same game before and after seems like the fan is barely running now.

Yup is good, even on elden ring it's barely audible in a silent room. Also from all the testing people have done it seems as though there's very little short or long-term harm that will be done as it still runs well within normal operating range under full load.

22 hours ago, stepee said:

Reallllly hoping next year is the year though. I still want a nice Nintendo handheld as well as a pc handheld. The oled is nice enough that I can ride it out another year but by 2024 if it’s still the same SOC that won’t fly for me and it’ll be more like the wiiu where I only barely use it for the must haves.

The Aya Neo Mini had more info released today 5560u and top model is 799.99 wit 512GB. I may get one if I can somehow pull off another 1k bonus at work. Since the screen is only 5.5 but 1080p I might bite when they have a RDNA2 equipt model. 

They also plan a Pro model with a 5825u. No clue how you cool that in a 5.5in form factor but maybe Aya Neo was able to open life's console and enable cheats.

• Haha 1

On 5/27/2022 at 12:27 PM, Zaku3 said:

Nintendo gonna ride that Tegra SOC until the wheels fall off.

Like my Jeep Cherokee, which given it's a Chrysler product shouldn't be too long, right? :lol:

But seriously, I want to think 2023 could be the year given BOTW2's delay, but if we suckers continue to buy the Switch, 2024 might actually be the year we see it.