Valve drops a Tim Epic-approved steamer!

Hurricane Game

5 minutes ago, silentbob said:

spacer.png

finally got out of the hospital, and nothing was wrong. WTF! Now I gotta get this thing charging cause it has not even a bit of charge with it. Feels pretty good in the hands comfort wise

Mine has a near full charge so there!

I have no idea no I’m sadly too tired from today to really play around with it. Joysticks are a little loose for me but I’ll see if I can improve on that later. Crazy Taxi played great, minus the change in music tracks :( I want my Bad Religion and Offspring damnit.

spacer.png

38 minutes ago, silentbob said:

I have no idea no I’m sadly too tired from today to really play around with it. Joysticks are a little loose for me but I’ll see if I can improve on that later. Crazy Taxi played great, minus the change in music tracks :( I want my Bad Religion and Offspring damnit.

spacer.png

Good news is it should have no problem just playing the dreamcast version at 800p!

The new Kao Kangaroo, a game they released pretty much specifically for me, was the first game I tried. I’ve been wanting to play it but read the switch version was super blurry and ran poorly. 720p/60 at medium settings here and looking nice! Not a deck certified game and ran with zero issue, made a good first impression.

I don’t agree it’s more comfortable than the switch oled, but I’ve always found switch really nice to hold for me, it just works. And I’ve just played a ton of it, so I’m so used to it. I’m sure I’ll get more used to it and it’s not like holding a 3ds or something, it’s still pretty comfy, and it does indeed work a lot better than one might think looking at the size. 

Can’t hear the fan at all as I have another fan point at my head already, might see about turning it up, because I think I do feel a little bit of the warmth. Nothing like the old win’s I had and it’s small enough that I’m not even sure if I am or not. But if the noise doesn’t bother me why not more fan. This game lasts about 2 hours at 60fps so I assume it was pushing it about as loud as it gets. 

Sticks and layout all fill good to me, forgot the haptics are actually kinda nice on the click pads. I don’t like where the charging port is, I feel I notice it less when it’s on the bottom.

The screen is nice, I do miss that oled pop, but it definitely is better than the old switch screens. And certainly looks much better for something like Kao since it gets to use all its pixels.

• Like 1

ya i’m gonna.  I tried a few other games, Skywalker, Control, and Hat in Time. All a bit more impressive than Kao, which I like how it looks, just not a show off game. But yeah, this a next gen handheld alright. Surprised it seems to do near max settings on Lego Skywalker 800p/60fps. Looks crazy good. And Control yeah, that’s insane to be playing on a handheld (did 40hz and a medium low mix at 720). We’ve essentially reached parity for handheld gaming finally and revisions will only further that to be true.

So mad I have to work tomorrow lol. I really like how easy you can switch some options like even hz mid game, and everything is just so smooth and clean compared to my previous gpd win experience.

Did try one game that didn’t work (it wasn’t verified) which was Dead Rising 2 case zero, which I think I remember had some weird gamepad thing, I’ll have to look into it. I’ve wanted portable Dead Rising and this is the only one I haven’t played yet.

4 hours ago, best3444 said:

Glad you both got it! @stepee don't you have the option to call off sick? I've done that for gaming already :shrug:

lol I thought about it but I kept pushing off this go in office half day telling hr I was waiting for a package, kinda obvious :P

Its friday anyway, soon enough it’ll be deck time.

I got overly excited after trying those next gen portable looking games so I literally woke up a couple times in the middle of the night just like DECK DECK DECK DECK DECK 

• Like 1

I’m impressed with the compatibility so far, Valhalla seems to just work after I got the ubi client working! Man why can’t gamepass just work in the same way ughhhh. Apparently Epic works this way as well though so that’s great for some stuff I have there, hopefully Kingdom Hearts 3 works there. 

Valhalla benched at 30fps at 800p/high. There were some below 30fps dips but that was just how it was set default, obv going to turn down the settings. I need to finish a mission on it on Xbox before I really try it so I don’t mess up my save sync.

• Halal 1

31 minutes ago, stepee said:

That get us any RT?

We won't know until CES. Rumor is there will be a smaller Phoenix based APU being developed for a new Deck. I wonder if it being on their roadmap means it might see general availability. 

Failing that maybe it has the same socket as a regular 7800u. Thus I could umm liberate a 7800u from a Neo or something.

• Halal 1

It’ll be nice if in just a year or two we can move to more of a 60fps baseline for these, provided they are smaller nodes I guess for battery life to work out? But either way my biggest want besides oled is just native gamepass. Wouldn’t that be good for both Valve and MS?

I ordered a 1tb micro sd and a 256gb usb c flash drive. I’m going to try the usb c flash drive first for gaming to see how it loads off that normally, then I think I’ll try to run Windows off of it (install it to the usb, not from it).

1 minute ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Saw new window drivers dropped. I’m gonna have to figure out this window install so I can play Game Pass games. 

Tbh that is alot more then I thought. Maybe I should give Windows a go again. Maybe the existing big picture mode might let me set up the controls for windows.

Remote PC streaming works incredibly well, like actually shockingly good considering how trash playstation remote play is.

I was able to stream ff7 remake for over an hour and the only time I was reminded that it was streaming is a few flashes of artifacting in a cutscene

1 minute ago, thedarkstark said:

Remote PC streaming works incredibly well, like actually shockingly good considering how trash playstation remote play is.

I was able to stream ff7 remake for over an hour and the only time I was reminded that it was streaming is a few flashes of artifacting in a cutscene

Reddit says moonlight works better on the deck than any device the forum has tried. 

On 7/15/2021 at 11:04 AM, stepee said:

Mostly playing indies is selling this wayyyy short. This should run modern games at 720p/30 just fine. 

Im assuming you can install Windows.

They say 4 hours for portal at 60, so I assume more demanding games will be the usual 2-3 hours.

Man I’m so glad I was right, but somehow I’m still surprised how this just runs Valhalla at medium settings native res at a near perfect 30fps. The upgrade for switch 2 could be even better than this, Nintendo only peeps gonna lose their minds.

1 hour ago, stepee said:

Man I’m so glad I was right, but somehow I’m still surprised how this just runs Valhalla at medium settings native res at a near perfect 30fps. The upgrade for switch 2 could be even better than this, Nintendo only peeps gonna lose their minds.

I doubt Switch 2 will be as good. I hope to be wrong though. 

4 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

I doubt Switch 2 will be as good. I hope to be wrong though. 

I feel like the only reason Switch 2 might be as good or better is because nvidia will want to flex more so than Nintendo.

But yeah, I kinda felt that Switch 2 could be potentially even better than the deck just because it seems that should be possible/affordable for them to do with a system releasing 23/24. But after seeing what this can do, it is indeed kind of hard to picture a Nintendo system running stuff like this!

Got a bunch of emu stuff set up because yeah, emu deck makes it super easy. Got full libraries for snes, genny, cps2, neogeo stuff in and a decent gba collection and some n64 stuff in. I need to switch it all to micro sd card now I realize but I’ll do that later then set psx stuff up and load up some dc, dolphin/gc isos etc. 

Its no oled but X-men vs Sf still looks fantastic on this display. If you haven’t set up the emus still @ManUtdRedDevils just do the emu deck thing it’s a snap.

edit: It took me a bit to figure out how to get roms on it until I realized oh I can just go to my onedrive and download. Or download direct elsewhere. Cuz it’s a computer.

But @Keyser_Sozeyou mentioned a program to drag and drop from your pc to deck? I have my old wii backup of wii/gc isos and that would take forever to use dropbox for, what’s that program?

On 6/16/2022 at 6:45 PM, silentbob said:

spacer.png

finally got out of the hospital, and nothing was wrong. WTF! Now I gotta get this thing charging cause it has not even a bit of charge with it. Feels pretty good in the hands comfort wise

SO........

It's The sorry HardAct train now right? I at least have stopped endlessly tring to find out when I'll get my 512gig model but I do think about it often enough! Congratz both of you, well done! What models are yours?

• Halal 1