Valve drops a Tim Epic-approved steamer!

Hurricane Game

4 minutes ago, silentbob said:

256Gb, Canada and was still in a Q2 

The NA queue for 256gb is up to 36 minutes and 37 seconds after reservations went live & the line moved 6 minutes today. So if you are in the first hour probably couple more weeks, if you're after that it may be awhile

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, thedarkstark said:

The NA queue for 256gb is up to 36 minutes and 37 seconds after reservations went live & the line moved 6 minutes today. So if you are in the first hour probably couple more weeks, if you're after that it may be awhile

just checked my purchase details and it preordered on July 16th @4:43pm

Just now, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Much needed. The fan profiles are not an issue for me. It the pitch of the sound generated by the fan 

Maybe speak with value support and see if they can send you a replacement? (Not sure if you already did)

8 hours ago, Zaku3 said:

Maybe speak with value support and see if they can send you a replacement? (Not sure if you already did)

The fan isn’t faulty. It produces a sound that is unpleasant. Even if they agreed to fix it, I am not guaranteed the new fan will be any better. I think the solution is to wait for a fan replacement option that guarantees to be better. 

To give some early impressions, it's pretty awesome so far, but I haven't played anything on it that will tax it yet.

Although the design always looked a bit tight, like others,  I've found it to be an ergonomic device to hold and control, especially when stacked up to the history of other handhelds. (It's more comfortable that than Switch, for example, which is otherwise the first handheld I used that didn't nearly instantly cramp my hands.) I think the only slightly awkward bit is the bumpers are not as easy to hit in my natural grasp as every other button. The analogs also feel really good for a handheld and way better than the Switch nubs.

I got a mid tier without the etched glass, so I can tell it has some glare, not too bad inside but it would probably be little annoying outside. Otherwise the screen looks great and feels pleasantly large. Using this gave me real flashbacks to my early days using a Game Gear (which obviously has a vastly smaller screen, but it felt big back then and that feeling persists here.)

The speakers are awesome. It sounds louder and better than I expected a handheld's speakers to feel.

The UI is pretty good. It wasn't hard to figure out which of my existing games are stamped with approval for the Deck and at least browsing the featured Deck games was pretty obvious and clear. You can also set filters of the different levels of support you'd be willing to accept, but it does feel like there could be a bit more work done here. I think the main thing I wish was more clear is which games will support Steam's new "Dynamic Cloud Sync" feature which lets you suspend on Deck and pick up exactly where you left off on PC. This feature would go a long way to giving the Deck a Switch like feel of shifting between the modes, but as far as I can tell, they don't disambiguate between cloud saves and this feature. If anyone knows how to tell, I'd love to know. Hopefully it gets adopted more in the future.

• Like 2
  • Shocked 1

1 hour ago, legend said:

To give some early impressions, it's pretty awesome so far, but I haven't played anything on it that will tax it yet.

Although the design always looked a bit tight, like others,  I've found it to be an ergonomic device to hold and control, especially when stacked up to the history of other handhelds. (It's more comfortable that than Switch, for example, which is otherwise the first handheld I used that didn't nearly instantly cramp my hands.) I think the only slightly awkward bit is the bumpers are not as easy to hit in my natural grasp as every other button. The analogs also feel really good for a handheld and way better than the Switch nubs.

I got a mid tier without the etched glass, so I can tell it has some glare, not too bad inside but it would probably be little annoying outside. Otherwise the screen looks great and feels pleasantly large. Using this gave me real flashbacks to my early days using a Game Gear (which obviously has a vastly smaller screen, but it felt big back then and that feeling persists here.)

The speakers are awesome. It sounds louder and better than I expected a handheld's speakers to feel.

The UI is pretty good. It wasn't hard to figure out which of my existing games are stamped with approval for the Deck and at least browsing the featured Deck games was pretty obvious and clear. You can also set filters of the different levels of support you'd be willing to accept, but it does feel like there could be a bit more work done here. I think the main thing I wish was more clear is which games will support Steam's new "Dynamic Cloud Sync" feature which lets you suspend on Deck and pick up exactly where you left off on PC. This feature would go a long way to giving the Deck a Switch like feel of shifting between the modes, but as far as I can tell, they don't disambiguate between cloud saves and this feature. If anyone knows how to tell, I'd love to know. Hopefully it gets adopted more in the future.

So for games that don’t support the feature you just quit the game and it syncs then you can resume on tv right? Like, there isn’t a seperate sync you have to do?

1 hour ago, stepee said:

So for games that don’t support the feature you just quit the game and it syncs then you can resume on tv right? Like, there isn’t a seperate sync you have to do?

Yeah that's my understanding, though I haven't tested it yet. The problem with that though is it means it's tired to whatever normal save system the game has. So if the game has intermittent saving, you may lose progress, whereas with dynamic cloud sync, I think the goal is it's a special hook to pick up where you left off.

43 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Cloud saves are a per developer thing not a standard across all of steam.

I remember playing Euro Truck Simulator and I had to put my save on a thumb drive for a long time. They somewhat recently (in the last couple of years) incorporated cloud saves I believe.

For sure. To be clear, what I mean is it's obvious when a game supports noram Steam cloud saves: the steam page for it lists it in its features. But from what I can tell, there is no way to know whether they just support normal steam cloud save syncing, or also the new dynamic cloud sync feature Steam released to go hand-in-hand with Deck going into suspend mode and that you really need devs to adopt that feature to get the more seamless transition.

Okay, first bad experience. Desktop mode is janky as fuck. I cannot left click at all. It's suppose to be clicking in the track pad, but nothing. I've run through every single button and none of them left click. I've seen similar reports of problems with it not working and restarting the device doesn't fix it. I don't have a USB C hub so I have no mouse I can plug in either.

21 minutes ago, legend said:

Okay, first bad experience. Desktop mode is janky as fuck. I cannot left click at all. It's suppose to be clicking in the track pad, but nothing. I've run through every single button and none of them left click. I've seen similar reports of problems with it not working and restarting the device doesn't fix it. I don't have a USB C hub so I have no mouse I can plug in either.

Can you just touch the touchscreen to click?

52 minutes ago, stepee said:

Can you just touch the touchscreen to click?

It turned out this was working at first, but then stopped working? I can't explain it, but by fucking around a lot, I finally managed to get Desktop Steam into Big Picture mode where I could finally look up the desktop controller bindings and think I found the problem.

I own a Steam Controller (though I haven't used it much since Valve kind of stopped supporting it), and it was using my steam controller desktop bindings that it imported from my PC. Here's where it gets confusing. On my Steam Controller bindings, I set it up so that a light press on the trigger was left click while a full press was right click. On the original Steam Controller, this was very obvious because the triggers had mid-way level then you had to "click" through to activate a full pull. On the Steam Deck, there isn't this mid-level click and it looks like it counted a light press as *very* light on the Steam Deck such that it's hard to hit without registering a full press.

I undid these settings and now it works!

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, legend said:

It turned out this was working at first, but then stopped working? I can't explain it, but by fucking around a lot, I finally managed to get Desktop Steam into Big Picture mode where I could finally look up the desktop controller bindings and think I found the problem.

I own a Steam Controller (though I haven't used it much since Valve kind of stopped supporting it), and it was using my steam controller desktop bindings that it imported from my PC. Here's where it gets confusing. On my Steam Controller bindings, I set it up so that a light press on the trigger was left click while a full press was right click. On the original Steam Controller, this was very obvious because the triggers had mid-way level then you had to "click" through to activate a full pull. On the Steam Deck, there isn't this mid-level click and it looks like it counted a light press as *very* light on the Steam Deck such that it's hard to hit without registering a full press.

I undid these settings and now it works!

Happy to hear! Now cmonmnmm valve hurry up I should have one of these it’s my thinnnnggggghgg

• Like 1

WWW.AYANEO.COM

Different from the development concept of traditional products, AYANEO maintains the original intention of "by real gamers, for other gamers". We always maintain close communication with players, listen to their voices and needs, let players participate in product development, and work with players to create the ideal Windows handheld.

I want to say I'm not gonna buy it but I imagine we all know I will break. 

5 hours ago, Zaku3 said:
WWW.AYANEO.COM

Different from the development concept of traditional products, AYANEO maintains the original intention of "by real gamers, for other gamers". We always maintain close communication with players, listen to their voices and needs, let players participate in product development, and work...

I want to say I'm not gonna buy it but I imagine we all know I will break. 

I’m pretty sure Aya just auto charges your credit card and ships these to you at this point!

Still waiting for them to ship from Thursday (they usually ship on monday) and log in to see this lovely message:

Shipping Status: Processing
Delivery delays are expected due to high order volume. We'll ship your order as soon as we can and send you an email with tracking information once that happens.

It had said "shipping soon" all weekend. US 512gbers getting screwed yet again. I'm getting pissed.

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, thedarkstark said:

Still waiting for them to ship from Thursday (they usually ship on monday) and log in to see this lovely message:

Shipping Status: Processing
Delivery delays are expected due to high order volume. We'll ship your order as soon as we can and send you an email with tracking information once that happens.

It had said "shipping soon" all weekend. US 512gbers getting screwed yet again. I'm getting pissed.

gonna just find a mother fucker with one and steal it

3 hours ago, thedarkstark said:

This was apparently "fixed" via software update today

Oh yeah, looks fairly substantial actually 🤔

Steam Deck Client and OS Update: Lockscreen, Power Improvements, and more

NOTE: Today's update includes Steam, OS, and firmware updates, and may take a few minutes to apply after restarting. Please be patient while your Steam Deck updates

Client Update:

• Added Lock Screen feature
    • Lock screen is specific to device, and can be set to show up on wake, boot, login, and/or when switching to Desktop mode
    • PIN can be entered using the touchscreen or controls
  • Added localized keyboards for 21 languages and layouts
    • Multiple keyboards can be enabled in Settings > Keyboard > Active Keyboards
    • Use the new globe key on the keyboard to cycle between active keyboards
  • Added support for multiple windows within one application or game.
    • Press Steam to view active windows and select which window you would like to view
    • Useful for web browsers or games with launchers
  • Updated Achievements page design, making it faster to load and easier to navigate
  • New achievements drop down allows players to quickly compare stats against any friend who also plays
  • Add Friend and Pending Requests have been combined into a single new page for better handling of friend requests
  • Added logic to detect and notify user when a microSD card doesn't match advertised storage size and specifications, instead of attempting to format (for a very long time)
  • Fixed issue where Steam and (...) button couldn't be used with Remote Play when streaming games from PC
  • More performance improvements for players with very large game libraries

OS Update:

• Added messaging when a charger that doesn't meet the minimum bar is plugged in
  • Added uncapped framerate setting in Quick Access menu > Performance
  • Added Half-Rate Shading experimental option to Quick Access menu > Performance, forcing 2x2 Variable Rate Shading into existing games for power savings
  • Added fTPM support, enabling Windows 11 installation
  • Added button combo: hold "..." + "Volume Down" to reset PD contract in the cases where Steam Deck gets stuck due to an incompatible Type-C device
  • Updated power LED to dim a few seconds after power supply connection events for better experience in dark environments
  • Improved compatibility for a number of Type-C docks and PSUs
  • Improved battery life in idle or very low usage scenarios
  • Improved stability
  • Fixed issues where the touchscreen does not work after some boots
  • Fixed compatibility with some SD cards specifically when used as boot devices.
  • Fixed extra haptic click when pressing on trackpads
  • Fixed ACPI error spew in the kernel

So Monster Hunter Rise is not verified yet but I tried it anyway. I had like 30% battery and played for like an hour before it ran out.

It runs in the high 50s mostly. You can turn on VRR and stuff. I didn't get too far in the open world because the battery ran out so I had to stop playing (well I could have plugged it in but I didn't and it ran out of batteries :p )

But performance wise (at least running around the town) it ran well and it looks pretty good as well. I didn't play the Switch version so I can't directly compare.

8 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

So Monster Hunter Rise is not verified yet but I tried it anyway. I had like 30% battery and played for like an hour before it ran out.

It runs in the high 50s mostly. You can turn on VRR and stuff. I didn't get too far in the open world because the battery ran out so I had to stop playing (well I could have plugged it in but I didn't and it ran out of batteries :p )

But performance wise (at least running around the town) it ran well and it looks pretty good as well. I didn't play the Switch version so I can't directly compare.

That's impressive