Valve drops a Tim Epic-approved steamer!

Hurricane Game

4 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

No worries they'll leave it right at your door!

Haha that does worry me because Valve doesn’t hide the fact it is a Deck. Luckily my neighbors are homebodies and will be happy to take it off the porch. 

10 minutes ago, stepee said:

Fuck I think I’m a ways off lol. Maybe I’ll be like June. :(

Valve is sending out notifications on Thursday too so maybe things will pick up. 

• True 1

12 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Eh, if you didn't know you had a deck coming you wouldn't know by looking at the box. It's just a plain brown box with electrical warnings on the side.

Oh ok. Reddit/Reset made it sound like the box is easily identifiable as a Deck. 

1 minute ago, Keyser_Soze said:

You should know better than to listen to idiots from inferior sites.

I was looking interested in seeing how some games run on the Deck. I decided that Inscryption and CK3 will be my first two games I play on it. 

Packaging is nice and minimalist. I appreciate that the zipper on the case has a plastic seal letting you know it hasn’t been opened. The case has a nice feel to it and looks up to the task to protect the Deck.

After plugging the Deck into the outlet, it starts to initialize and setup is very easy and pretty quick.

Downloaded Aperture Desk Job and it looks pretty good. Had fun getting comfortable with the control layout. While the device is big, it feels really comfortable to hold. The build quality feels good. The buttons too. The screen is ok. It isn’t a OLED but it is definitely a solid LCD screen. 

I decide to try the sleep and resume feature on this game and it works really well. 

Now comes my biggest gripe.  The fan is whiney.  Since the fan is always on, the whine is constant. Now the whine isn’t loud and doesn’t get louder when the fan speed up, but since it is constant, it’s distracting. The speakers are pretty good and can’t mask it. Sitting on the coach tonight watching TV, my wife commented a couple times about it. No way can I use this in bed next to her without getting complaints. It makes me appreciate how quiet the Switch OLED is. It is a bummer because I am really digging this device but now I feel super conscious about using it around wife. 

• True 1

Played Inscryption on it tonight. It is labeled as a playable game, not verified. No issues at all playing it. Since it is a KB/M game, I got use the trackpads quite a bit. The trackpads are great. I like the haptic feedback it has. The resume feature worked flawlessly as well.  

The deck is such a well designed machine. It’s a shame the fan kind of sucks.  Seems like there is a fan lottery based on Reddit threads. It’s a bummer but hopefully Valve will offer free fan replacements or at least an option to buy a new one. 

4 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

The deck is such a well designed machine. It’s a shame the fan kind of sucks.  Seems like there is a fan lottery based on Reddit threads. It’s a bummer but hopefully Valve will offer free fan replacements or at least an option to buy a new one. 

Yeah I was going to say that maybe this is a thing that varies from deck to deck because mine has never sounded that loud. Like it sounds no louder than one of those personal fans you blow in your face and that is if you're pointing it at your ears.

I can't really test this on mine because it's already quiet but try pressing the 3 dots and adjusting the performance like turning on the TDP or lowering the frame rate.

17 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Yeah I was going to say that maybe this is a thing that varies from deck to deck because mine has never sounded that loud. Like it sounds no louder than one of those personal fans you blow in your face and that is if you're pointing it at your ears.

I can't really test this on mine because it's already quiet but try pressing the 3 dots and adjusting the performance like turning on the TDP or lowering the frame rate.

When the fans start up, it produces a sound of blowing air and a whine/whistle. Only when the fans stop, does the whine/whistle stop. Inscryption isn’t the most demanding game so I was hoping the fans would turn on and off but the fans stayed on the whole time.  I am gonna contact Steam Support and see if I can RMA it and would they replace the fan with a different one. 

steam_deck_closeup_top.jpg
BOILINGSTEAM.COM

If you Steam Deck is making a whistling noise, there is a good chance that it's coming from the fan used to operate it. Have a Look.

@ManUtdRedDevils Well I fired up Hot Shots Golf 3, which seems to make the fans spin up pretty good and asked my mom if she could hear the fans and she said "there fans blowing?" so yeah the sound is not very noticeable on mine :p

Then I had her play Intelligent Qube and she was very bad at controlling the character and pushing a button so I sat on one side and did the d-pad and had her push the buttons and that seemed to go better.

Comparing it to the Switch OLED:

Build Quality: Draw. While my OG Switch had some hardware issues, the OLED is rock solid. My only complaint remains the joycons. My right joycon is a bit crunchy. The Deck is equal in construction. Everything feels and looks great outside the fan. 

Comfort: Deck. Since the Switch tries to be a real portable, it definitely sacrificed ergonomics. The extra size makes the Deck more comfortable without it being any less portable than the Switch. both need a carrying case and a backpack.

Controls: Deck. Controls are comparable with 4 buttons, 4 shoulder buttons, 2 joysticks and a dpad. Deck has the additional 2 track pads and 4 back buttons which makes more versatile. I think the joysticks on the Deck are better and since they can be easily replaced, it eliminates the fear of drift. I also like the Deck has a real dpad.  Otherwise buttons on both feel good. Not sure if I will use the back buttons. I find them hard to push in due to how I hold the Deck. I will say the idea of the joycons are really cool but the build quality is poor and the controls feel cramped due to the small size.

UI/Ease Of Use: Switch. Switch is really easy to use.  Games load quickly and it feels pretty snappy. The Deck is a clear work in progress. I don’t necessarily find it intuitive and while Valve created a game to help teach basic controls options, it would have been nice to have something similar on the Deck software features. I understand this is a niche product but would have been nice to at least explain some features. 

5 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

@ManUtdRedDevils Well I fired up Hot Shots Golf 3, which seems to make the fans spin up pretty good and asked my mom if she could hear the fans and she said "there fans blowing?" so yeah the sound is not very noticeable on mine :p

Then I had her play Intelligent Qube and she was very bad at controlling the character and pushing a button so I sat on one side and did the d-pad and had her push the buttons and that seemed to go better.

I think I will take a video of it and send you a link in Discord to it so I can get your thoughts

• Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Not sure if I will use the back buttons. I find them hard to push in due to how I hold the Deck.

I thought this at first but I think they're easier to press in, you don't have to be as deliberate as you think. As for using them I set some hotkeys up on the emulators that would initially have to use a keyboard to use like screenshots,  analog toggle, and to exit the system (esc key) Things I don't want to push all the time but are nice to have as extra buttons.

2 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Comparing it to the Switch OLED:

Build Quality: Draw. While my OG Switch had some hardware issues, the OLED is rock solid. My only complaint remains the joycons. My right joycon is a bit crunchy. The Deck is equal in construction. Everything feels and looks great outside the fan. 

Comfort: Deck. Since the Switch tries to be a real portable, it definitely sacrificed ergonomics. The extra size makes the Deck more comfortable without it being any less portable than the Switch. both need a carrying case and a backpack.

Controls: Deck. Controls are comparable with 4 buttons, 4 shoulder buttons, 2 joysticks and a dpad. Deck has the additional 2 track pads and 4 back buttons which makes more versatile. I think the joysticks on the Deck are better and since they can be easily replaced, it eliminates the fear of drift. I also like the Deck has a real dpad.  Otherwise buttons on both feel good. Not sure if I will use the back buttons. I find them hard to push in due to how I hold the Deck. I will say the idea of the joycons are really cool but the build quality is poor and the controls feel cramped due to the small size.

UI/Ease Of Use: Switch. Switch is really easy to use.  Games load quickly and it feels pretty snappy. The Deck is a clear work in progress. I don’t necessarily find it intuitive and while Valve created a game to help teach basic controls options, it would have been nice to have something similar on the Deck software features. I understand this is a niche product but would have been nice to at least explain some features. 

I think I will take a video of it and send you a link in Discord to it so I can get your thoughts

Sounds like good shit besides the fan. That sucks, I usually have a fan on at all times so I hope it mine is like that it just blends in. I always have a fan on me in both gaming rooms so I normally don’t notice system noises. 

Is it loud enough that you’d disturb someone on a plane with it? That would be annoying.

2 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I thought this at first but I think they're easier to press in, you don't have to be as deliberate as you think. As for using them I set some hotkeys up on the emulators that would initially have to use a keyboard to use like screenshots,  analog toggle, and to exit the system (esc key) Things I don't want to push all the time but are nice to have as extra buttons.

I like them alot as well. It was part of why I bought reWASD since it would let me use the rear buttons on my wolverine. 

Edit: Need to install it on my desktop. Will check my Deck as well. I fon't think I have trouble with my fan.