Valve drops a Tim Epic-approved steamer!

Hurricane Game

I picked up my Switch for the first time since I got my deck and was shocked by how cheap it feels in comparison to the Deck now. The Deck is bigger, which obviously has some downsides for portability, but in exchange you get something that is much more ergonomic to hold with far better buttons and analogs. And surprisingly the Deck doesn't feel heavy even though it's clearly bigger.

Also emulation on the Deck is great. You can set it up so that from the steam interface your emulated game library appears with everything else, art and all and there are tools to make that automatically happen. I finally replayed Star Fox 64, one of my favorite games from the N64 era, without having to pay Nintendo for a premium subscription.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, legend said:

Also emulation on the Deck is great. You can set it up so that from the steam interface your emulated game library appears with everything else, art and all and there are tools to make that automatically happen. I finally replayed Star Fox 64, one of my favorite games from the N64 era, without having to pay Nintendo for a premium subscription.

It works pretty well. You do have to jump through a couple of hoops to getting Playstation 1, 2 and 3 games going though.

Also, I don't know if it's a bug or what but I was able to do custom art in steam once. But now it won't even find certain folders so I can't use custom art anymore. Kind of frustrating. Would you have an idea why?

As for the switch yeah, holding it by the sides on the joycons feels like it's kinda brittle.

2 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

It works pretty well. You do have to jump through a couple of hoops to getting Playstation 1, 2 and 3 games going though.

Also, I don't know if it's a bug or what but I was able to do custom art in steam once. But now it won't even find certain folders so I can't use custom art anymore. Kind of frustrating. Would you have an idea why?

As for the switch yeah, holding it by the sides on the joycons feels like it's kinda brittle.

Hmm not sure why that might be happening. Whenever I add new ROMs I just open the app, go to the preview tab, and generate the app list.

44 minutes ago, legend said:

Hmm not sure why that might be happening. Whenever I add new ROMs I just open the app, go to the preview tab, and generate the app list.

Something like RPCS3, you have to add custom art for (well you don't have to add it) and you can manually do it, like you can do on normal steam. But it just won't find the folders anymore, like some directories are just hidden (although in desktop view I have it set to show hidden folders)

When I added the Xcloud stuff, per the article I posted earlier in the thread, I was able to find the custom artwork in the folders to use it in Steam.

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Something like RPCS3, you have to add custom art for (well you don't have to add it) and you can manually do it, like you can do on normal steam. But it just won't find the folders anymore, like some directories are just hidden (although in desktop view I have it set to show hidden folders)

When I added the Xcloud stuff, per the article I posted earlier in the thread, I was able to find the custom artwork in the folders to use it in Steam.

You might want to try reinstalling the emu deck app again. But can you clarify what you mean by the directories just being hidden? "Hidden" directories in linux usually just means the directory name starts with a . and showing hidden files in a file browser or desktop just means it will display those directories, it shouldn't do anything with the meta data of the directory itself. So if you're not seeing them, it suggests something bad has happened to your directory structure.

2 hours ago, legend said:

You might want to try reinstalling the emu deck app again. But can you clarify what you mean by the directories just being hidden? "Hidden" directories in linux usually just means the directory name starts with a . and showing hidden files in a file browser or desktop just means it will display those directories, it shouldn't do anything with the meta data of the directory itself. So if you're not seeing them, it suggests something bad has happened to your directory structure.

OK so this has nothing to do with emu deck. So format C: that out of your brain.

I am trying to add custom artwork in steam for games that have no artwork. Check out this article the method is described in it under "adding custom artwork to your shortcut" or check out this point in this video: https://youtu.be/ylErPAL2cj0?t=802

When I want to navigate my steam to the directory that the files are saved, well I can't, they don't show up. Only a few files show up.

However, I'm also saying (if this has any bearing on if this has any effect with steam finding it or not) that in desktop mode I have hidden files being displayed so it has no reason to not see it when steam is looking for it. I can find the files in desktop mode, just when I open steam to go to the same directory it doesn't show the directory.

4 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

OK so this has nothing to do with emu deck. So format C: that out of your brain.

I am trying to add custom artwork in steam for games that have no artwork. Check out this article the method is described in it under "adding custom artwork to your shortcut" or check out this point in this video: https://youtu.be/ylErPAL2cj0?t=802

When I want to navigate my steam to the directory that the files are saved, well I can't, they don't show up. Only a few files show up.

However, I'm also saying (if this has any bearing on if this has any effect with steam finding it or not) that in desktop mode I have hidden files being displayed so it has no reason to not see it when steam is looking for it. I can find the files in desktop mode, just when I open steam to go to the same directory it doesn't show the directory.

have u tried running emu deck as administrator 

5 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I haven't done anything outside of using emu deck, so I can't tell you why other directions you followed don't work :p 

That said, I think my prior point still stands: showing hidden files in a file browser should have no effect on what Steam displays. Hidden files in Linux are not defined by any meta data (by convention they're indicated by naming the file with a leading dot) so showing hidden files in the file browser only affects your file browser, it won't change how other apps like Steam will view your files because it won't modify the file. But more than that I'm still clear why you think hidden files has something to do with it. Are your directories named with leading dots? Or are you just guessing it has to do with hidden files because Steam won't show anything?

1 hour ago, legend said:

But more than that I'm still clear why you think hidden files has something to do with it. Are your directories named with leading dots? Or are you just guessing it has to do with hidden files because Steam won't show anything

I don't think that. In fact the files are not in a hidden directory. I'm just throwing things out there.

While the anti-glare coating is a good idea. Now that logic has taken hold the 64GB is the best option. Get it, and replace it with a 1TB SSD. 

Probably just end up waiting longer if I canceled. 

There was an Aya Neo announcement yesterday. They are releasing the Mini with a 5.5in 1080p OLED. In addition they announced the Neo Slide (GPD deserves an F in chat) and the Aya Neo 2. 

The Aya Neo 2 should be released by the end of the year and will have a 6800u and a 7in IPS bezel less screen. Gonna ignore the Mini and wait for the Neo 2.

Their idea is to have the mini line be their entry level, Aya Neo and Neo Slide to hold the mid range, and the Next line to be the high end. Though I'm unsure how you make a Next 2 more high end then a 6800u. Unless they place to use a 6800HS. 

6 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Why is it so convoluted to set up Xbox Cloud on the deck? Go through the all the steps and shit don’t work. Let me download a fucking app and call it a day.

It's a lot easier now since the update that allows multi-window support for games.

8 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Why is it so convoluted to set up Xbox Cloud on the deck? Go through the all the steps and shit don’t work. Let me download a fucking app and call it a day.

Bryan Cranston Reaction GIF

Audio drivers are out for Windows. Was thinking of doing the switch but I kinda like steamOS, wanna see where it goes, and I'm still doubtful AMD is gonna keep the Windows drivers updated. Though there does seem to be a May7th update.

Will just wait impatiently for the 6800u for my Windows fix. 

Forgot to mention while the Next does play PS3 games Metal Gear Solid 4 doeSn't run well. I guess gotta wait for those 7800u APUs to see if Zen 4 is up to the task on mobile 

Crap just talked myself into doing the switch to Windows. Ideally Windows would control alot easier with the trackpads. 

40 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I don't think that. In fact the files are not in a hidden directory. I'm just throwing things out there.

Unfortunately, not sure what to tell you. If I try doing some custom art at some point on it, I'll let you know if I have similar problems.

On 5/15/2022 at 8:18 PM, legend said:

Unfortunately, not sure what to tell you. If I try doing some custom art at some point on it, I'll let you know if I have similar problems.

@legend Well I "figured out" how to fix this. I just pushed the "up" button next to the file path thing (next to the new folder icon) and it eventually just showed everything. I guess if you try to browse on your own you won't find anything but if you just push up it shows what you want. :silly:

9 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

@legend Well I "figured out" how to fix this. I just pushed the "up" button next to the file path thing (next to the new folder icon) and it eventually just showed everything. I guess if you try to browse on your own you won't find anything but if you just push up it shows what you want. :silly:

Hmm. I'd have to look at the GUI, but usually an up button is meant to go to a higher directory level. Maybe you were in a folder too deep?

Glad you got it sorted though!

40 minutes ago, Raggit said:

Finally got to order! :celebrate:

Forgot about the import fee, though. :canada:

Is it alot? I hage seen a few people in the aya neo discord complaining about their import fee. 

Also woot got my free Aya Neo case.

23 hours ago, stepee said:

15min left to get to my order..I guess at this rate my Q2 might still be valid but it’ll be at the very end of next month :(

i looked and it’s actually 12min from my order date now :o went up 6 minutes this week..if that were to be the same the next two weeks…

• Shocked 1

On 5/15/2022 at 9:49 PM, Zaku3 said:

While the anti-glare coating is a good idea. Now that logic has taken hold the 64GB is the best option. Get it, and replace it with a 1TB SSD. 

Probably just end up waiting longer if I canceled. 

There was an Aya Neo announcement yesterday. They are releasing the Mini with a 5.5in 1080p OLED. In addition they announced the Neo Slide (GPD deserves an F in chat) and the Aya Neo 2. 

The Aya Neo 2 should be released by the end of the year and will have a 6800u and a 7in IPS bezel less screen. Gonna ignore the Mini and wait for the Neo 2.

Their idea is to have the mini line be their entry level, Aya Neo and Neo Slide to hold the mid range, and the Next line to be the high end. Though I'm unsure how you make a Next 2 more high end then a 6800u. Unless they place to use a 6800HS. 

How much for the entry level version though?