Nintendo Direct E3 6/15/2021 9am (PST)

GameDadGrant

47 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

And that was their BEST game shown?

Yeesh. 

Best looking, most next-gen reason to own a Series X so far.  The kind of tech showcase we should have seen from them last year.  Better late than never.  And it’s great it’s out this year.

It definitely elevated their show, especially considering what wasn’t there, or could have used a bigger blowout/exposition.  (I’m most disappointed in not seeing any more of The Gunk, but that’s just me)

No one was expecting it to be ready either, so it was an honest surprise.  I would have bet on seeing Playground’s Fable first.  

4 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

@Keyser_Soze @crispy4000

Yeah no, I saw it. I watched the MS conference. I don't know if Horizon was *that* much of a big deal? Honestly none of what they showed really wowed me. Not much I was interested in, tbh. Guess it just wasn't my vibe or whatever. 

The snowboarding game looked cool, though. 

Dude, Forza Horizon is a massive property that people love. I get that you're stuck on Nintendo, but the MS show was fantastic. Halo, Forza, Starfield. Back4Blood on GP, Psychnauts 2!!!!!!, replaced, Eiyuden, Outer Worlds 2, Redfall, plague tale, Stalker 2. And those are just the ones I remember. And they are all on Gamepass. 

Like, Metroid looks amazing, and im there day one. And BotW, which might come next year. Advance Wars is great, but ive played it already. A new Advance Wars would have hyped me. 

Nintendo didn't have much of a showing. I know I hate on them a lot, but they give me good reason. Hell, 35th anniversary of Zelda, we get a game and watch announcement at E3, while getting the worst 3d Zelda next month.

I just don't know what your seeing to say they won E3? Mario Party remakes? I don't get it. 

Imo, MS is making Sony and Nintendo look foolish. 31 games, 27 of them "free" with a monthly sub that id be paying for either way.

24 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

They showed 31 of them....

Yeah but what was announced that I can’t play on other platforms, new stuff I wasn’t expecting, etc. 

Like we knew starfield was coming, we knew halo was coming. Nice to see that type of stuff but this has been my lack of excitement with MS for a while. I don’t really need game pass and there’s not a single game anymore that I need an Xbox for. 

• Like 1

@BloodyHell I do think there are years where you can kind of make generalized objective summations of like, well this company’s presentation was clearly one that generated more excitement or whatever, but I don’t think this is one of those years. I just think you happen to value gamepass more than many people who are stoked about Nintendo’s games. 

Gamepass is kinda useless to me at the rate I play games. As a multiplatform show it was really nice but it wasn’t like oh man I need to get me an Xbox. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Dude, Forza Horizon is a massive property that people love. I get that you're stuck on Nintendo, but the MS show was fantastic. Halo, Forza, Starfield. Back4Blood on GP, Psychnauts 2!!!!!!, replaced, Eiyuden, Outer Worlds 2, Redfall, plague tale, Stalker 2. And those are just the ones I remember. And they are all on Gamepass. 

IMO, it shouldn’t really need that qualification for it to be a good show.

It still was.  But I wouldn’t call it fantastic.  They didn’t do anything to address Halo campaign visual criticism.  Starfield trailer told us almost nothing about the game.  Same with Contraband.  Outer Worlds 2 turned this trend into a lavishly produced joke.  They ended the show on an extended CG trailer for a new IP out next year.  And all those games teased similarly last year?  Here‘s a 10-second montage of what you saw already.

With those issues fixed, they would have killed it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, crispy4000 said:

IMO, it shouldn’t really need that qualification for it to be a good show.

It still was.  But I wouldn’t call it fantastic.  They didn’t do anything to address Halo campaign visual criticism.  Starfield trailer told us almost nothing about the game.  Same with Contraband.  Outer Worlds 2 turned this trend into a lavishly produced joke.  They ended the show on an extended CG trailer for a new IP out next year.  And all those games teased similarly last year?  Here‘s a 10-second montage of what you saw already.

With those issues fixed, they would have nailed it.

Ummm, didn't do anything to address the campaign visuals? Did you watch it? It looks far, far better than last year. 

I agree it was far from perfect, but to me it was far better than the others.

SE disappointed me more than anyone though. What a terrible conference. 

I will say though, the Final Fantasy Origins demo is far better than they made it look. I had fun with it, and seeing and fighting Garland again was incredible!

23 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

Every time the phrase “…won E3” is uttered. A puppy is smashed with a hammer. Stop it. It’s not 2004 anymore. 

I enjoyed the MS conference. I enjoyed the Nintendo conference. I enjoyed a bunch of those smaller and indie conferences. I discovered a lot of up coming games and I'm happy. So clearly, I won E3. :cool:

Seriously though, which ever conference you enjoyed more based on the games shown is mostly subjective. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Ummm, didn't do anything to address the campaign visuals? Did you watch it? It looks far, far better than last year. 

I agree it was far from perfect, but to me it was far better than the others.

I watched it.  It looked marginally improved in the flyover shots.  Story bits fell in line with the first story trailer.  I’m still not convinced they’ve matched the engine teaser trailer from back when, visually or creatively.  That’s the Halo I’m still most excited for in my head.  So hopefully we see more of that when they peel back the layers.

37 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

But you do!

I will say Yakuza Like a Dragon was almost enough to get me to just subscribe then and there. I’ve been eyeing it for a while. But I’m deep in a FF14 hole and also working through the Mass Effect trilogy and FF12, so I can’t justify another subscription. 

I keep saying it, I just am leery of subscription based shit now. It’s changed the way I watch shows and stuff for the worse I think.

1 hour ago, BloodyHell said:

Like, Metroid looks amazing, and im there day one. And BotW, which might come next year. Advance Wars is great, but ive played it already. A new Advance Wars would have hyped me. 

Nintendo didn't have much of a showing. I know I hate on them a lot, but they give me good reason. Hell, 35th anniversary of Zelda, we get a game and watch announcement at E3, while getting the worst 3d Zelda next month.

I just don't know what your seeing to say they won E3? Mario Party remakes? I don't get it. 

Imo, MS is making Sony and Nintendo look foolish. 31 games, 27 of them "free" with a monthly sub that id be paying for either way.

I think you and I just have wildly different tastes in games. Which is fine, right?

@Paperclyp and @crispy4000 already basically said what I would have said. Nothing on there makes me think “I need an Xbox now.” And GamePass is digital only, yeah? I prefer physical copies of my games, so GP is kinda useless to me anyway.

Glad you enjoyed the Xbox presentation, it must have been a really good one for you considering your posts here and how you described yourself as a usual “Sony Pony” lulz.

It just didn’t do anything for me. 

34 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

I think you and I just have wildly different tastes in games. Which is fine, right?

@Paperclyp and @crispy4000 already basically said what I would have said. Nothing on there makes me think “I need an Xbox now.” And GamePass is digital only, yeah? I prefer physical copies of my games, so GP is kinda useless to me anyway.

Glad you enjoyed the Xbox presentation, it must have been a really good one for you considering your posts here and how you described yourself as a usual “Sony Pony” lulz.

It just didn’t do anything for me. 

See, i don't buy physical unless there is no other choice. I have absolutely no use for discs. And of course it's fine that we have different tastes.  

To me, Nintendo has a few truly great series. Mainline Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Fire Emblem, and to a lesser extent, the Luigi series. The rest is just filler, I don't care about Mario Party, Golf, tennis or any of that stuff. I like Mario Kart, but ive been fed up with MK8 for years now. I hate the way they reuse and re-release old games for full price. On top of that, the switch just runs 3rd party games badly, and its getting worse. 

Then theres the horrible anti consumer crap, like friends codes instead of accounts, terrible online services, no voice chat. I get why people would want physical Nintendo games, becauseits almost a guarantee digital switch games won't be playable on its successor. None of this is acceptable.

At this point, I really wish they'd get out of hardware and just make games, because its obvious they are never going to come close to modern standards.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Joe said:

We’re all at least over 30 and still arguing about which console is better? Just buy and play what you like and shut the fuck up lol.

We're debating which console had a better e3 lineup, not which console is better. Isn't that what this forum is for? You're welcome to not participate.

I mean, overall, I don't think its debatable that xbox has the best console hardware wise, at a power to cost ratio. Plus, by far the best controller. 🤔 Sony has the best games if go by history, they just didn't show up to E3. 

57 minutes ago, Joe said:

We’re all at least over 30 and still arguing about which console is better? Just buy and play what you like and shut the fuck up lol.

Lol bud you see that Star Wars thread? What about that masterbation thread? 

Come On Reaction GIF by GIPHY News

5 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

We're debating which console had a better e3 lineup, not which console is better. Isn't that what this forum is for? You're welcome to not participate.

I mean, overall, I don't think its debatable that xbox has the best console hardware wise, at a power to cost ratio. Plus, by far the best controller. 🤔 Sony has the best games if go by history, they just didn't show up to E3. 

The point of this thread isn’t to debate which console had the better e3 lineup.

1 hour ago, BloodyHell said:

See, i don't buy physical unless there is no other choice. I have absolutely no use for discs. And of course it's fine that we have different tastes.  

To me, Nintendo has a few truly great series. Mainline Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Fire Emblem, and to a lesser extent, the Luigi series. The rest is just filler, I don't care about Mario Party, Golf, tennis or any of that stuff. I like Mario Kart, but ive been fed up with MK8 for years now. I hate the way they reuse and re-release old games for full price. On top of that, the switch just runs 3rd party games badly, and its getting worse. 

Then theres the horrible anti consumer crap, like friends codes instead of accounts, terrible online services, no voice chat. I get why people would want physical Nintendo games, becauseits almost a guarantee digital switch games won't be playable on its successor. None of this is acceptable.

At this point, I really wish they'd get out of hardware and just make games, because its obvious they are never going to come close to modern standards.

I’ve become more jaded towards Nintendo lately as well.  I don’t think their output has improved proportional to supporting one platform instead of two.  Switch has more or less been a continuation of the Wii U to me.  (Which isn’t the worst thing, I liked the Wii U while it was good)

This E3 did tell me they have a ton of stuff coming this year though.  What they said at the beginning about having a variety of games that everyone should find something in is very true.  I’ll be in for Metroid Dread.  Others will be in for Advanced Wars, Mario Party, WarioWare, etc.  Filler is very much in the eye of the beholder with a lot of what they showed.

From the standpoint of being a 2021 focused show, I think they did very well.  None of those games were even rumored to be at the show, and they’re all coming out soon and had post-show demonstrations.  That’s how E3 should be, ideally.  

Maybe that doesn’t always ‘win,’ but it gives us more of E3 as it was in its heyday.  I miss show floor demos quite a bit, and demos shouldn’t only be relegated to indies.

1 minute ago, crispy4000 said:

I’ve become more jaded towards Nintendo lately as well.  I don’t think their output has improved proportional to supporting one platform instead of two.  Switch has more or less been a continuation of the Wii U to me.  (Which isn’t the worst thing, I liked the Wii U while it was good)

This E3 did tell me they have a ton of stuff coming this year though.  What they said at the beginning about having a variety of games that everyone should find something in is very true.  I’ll be in for Metroid Dread.  Others will be in for Advanced Wars, Mario Party, WarioWare, SMTV, etc.  Filler is very much in the eye of the beholder with a lot of what they showed.

From the standpoint of being a 2021 focused show, I think they did very well.  None of those games were even rumored to be at the show, and they’re all coming out soon.  That’s how E3 should be, ideally.

It also very much feels like they are holding things back on purpose.

Im definitely most upset with their terrible hardware. When games have to run on cloud computing to be playable, its time to upgrade your shit hardware.

That’s basically it. These companies don’t need E3 and gaming journos, similar to Naomi Osaka not giving sports journos the time of day. These people have the ability to craft their own narrative and on their own schedule.

17 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

That’s basically it. These companies don’t need E3 and gaming journos, similar to Naomi Osaka not giving sports journos the time of day. These people have the ability to craft their own narrative and on their own schedule.

This right here. The only reason they even do anything around this time of the year is for cranky gamers who refuse change. Even then, they put in less effort every year.