Nintendo Direct E3 6/15/2021 9am (PST)

GameDadGrant

5 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

How is what I said remotely being contrarian. I would posit that “conventions/trade shows are dying” is the majority position. Everybody that runs such events are trying to figure out how to adapt to the challenges brought on by rising events costs and waning importance in the modern media space. And then brooms like “I want to know how much things cost” and I told him real world numbers and he’s off on something else now. 

The fact of the matter is that many of the industry’s largest players have been foregoing an official prescience at E3 for a long time and it’s only making the financial

burden higher for those who remain. So I’ll ask again: what benefit do these large companies get from E3 that they don’t get from doing their own events on their own timeline?

Mad Max Reaction GIF

I’ll post my thoughts on e3 later today but I just want throw out a few points. I think people are projecting what they idealize e3 is from what it’s actual origins is a trade show (not a press/media frenzy).

As for indies, they were actually far better served by pax conventions then they ever were at e3. Just covid made a mess of that.

E3 is run by lobbyists who give two shits about games. It isn’t surprising that E3 has struggled to transition into a more sustainable event for the audience, developers/publishers, and press. All three audiences desires don’t align and the ESA is incapable/uninterested in figuring out a solution.

Y’all bringing up cost but that isn’t the Reason Layden provided when Sony announced its exit from E3. 

1 hour ago, chakoo said:

I’ll post my thoughts on e3 later today but I just want throw out a few points. I think people are projecting what they idealize e3 is from what it’s actual origins is a trade show (not a press/media frenzy).

As for indies, they were actually far better served by pax conventions then they ever were at e3. Just covid made a mess of that.

This right here. E3 was originally meant for sharing the state of the industry and showing off a few things to the press. That turned into this whole media frenzy as magazines and shitty Internet connections created an environment where gamers, voracious for any news they could get, would stand by and watch the E3 coverage as it came in. Nowadays, YouTube is a thing. Twitch is a thing. Facebook is a thing. Traditional media outlets are suffering. Nintendo hosted their E3 Direct from their own YouTube channel.

Gone are the days where we'd watch a camera feed of E3 presentations and then wait for a few hours to get full resolution videoclips of the trailers because it was the only way these companies could get our attention.

When Nintendo announced the Switch, Google dropped it as the breaking news in my news feed. Google provided me directly with a link to the presentation on YouTube. I didn't have to go through some other website to get the news. I got it straight from Nintendo.

That's why all this traditional press is suffering. This is why celebrities go eat spicy hot wings, play carpool karaoke, or whatever stupid game Fallon has lined up. If we wanted to know what was going on in a celebrity's life we could just find out via Instagram.

This is like people arguing that the post-game press conferences are good or actually important. They aren't. The only reason they still exist is because an increasingly smaller number of people think they should.

4 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

Whatever. Nintendo still won E3. 

I mean, you can't even play Metroid Dread on any other system. Case closed.  

:dab2:

That's not fair, though. Only Nintendo would make fans wait nearly two decades for the next installment of a story they started telling 35 years ago. This is worse than waiting for new chapters of Berserk.

Oh great, now I'm sad.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Y’all bringing up cost but that isn’t the Reason Layden provided when Sony announced its exit from E3. 

Business decisions are always about balancing costs and benefits :p 

12 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Sure but the root cause wasn’t money. It was format. 

If it cost Sony $0, do you think they would have continued doing E3?

7 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

If it cost Sony $0, do you think they would have continued doing E3?

People who get free sport tickets don’t use them. I have a free Hulu sub and I don’t ever use it. Value is in the eye of the beholder. For Sony, E3 has no value. The reason it has no value is due to format and not cost. Cost is obviously a factor on some level but I don’t think it is the main factor. 

Just now, ManUtdRedDevils said:

People who get free sport tickets don’t use them. I have a free Hulu sub and I don’t ever use it. Value is in the eye of the beholder. For Sony, E3 has no value. The reason it has no value is due to format.  

What about the format does Sony view as worthless?

13 minutes ago, Amazatron said:

The fuck? Not even accounting for the time value of money, it would take 1667 years to pay out $1M at that rate. But still, even if it was equivalent it is incredibly dumb.

he is going in it for the long haul man

23 minutes ago, Amazatron said:

The fuck? Not even accounting for the time value of money, it would take 1667 years to pay out $1M at that rate. But still, even if it was equivalent it is incredibly dumb.

One guy suggested buying $50 in tomatoes and planting more and more tomatoes until you have millions of tomatoes. 

1 hour ago, Amazatron said:

Lol further down in his thread he says he was at the gym at the time and it's a typo. He probably meant 5000, or even 50K. Still makes him look dumb though. Should have just deleted and retweeted. 

So I was going to go off a bit on the history of E3 but the intro paragraphs on the wiki article do a great job as is. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E3

Simply put, E3 was a trade show that splintered off CES for better representation. The focus of e3 was not the consumer, it was by the industry and for the industry. There was 3 main groups that were the target focus 1) Retail transactions and showing off pre-production product to drum up orders 2) Developers and publishers making business deals and 3) easier method for getting press together for future write-ups about their up and coming games. Attendance required you to be connected in some way between the 3. I myself got to attend e3 twice (2001 & 2002), first year through a student outreach and the second year through my employer (I still even have my badges). 

The rise in the internet and digital access to games heavily killed the needs of group #3 as publishers were more able to connect directly to consumers instead of needing the press to cover them. Yet at the same time developers didn't need the press to go to a single event for them to have access to beta/early builds of games. Group #2 shifted more towards events like GDC. Group #1 I can't really say where their shift happen but it became less and less E3 in the mid 2000s. Actually something many on the internet forget or don't know about is at E3 publishers use to have parts of their booths dedicated to projecting the retail experience they were looking for with group #1.

So IMO, E3 itself died when it pivoted far too hard into a media spectacle in the 2000s then in the 2010s when it tried to go after PAX crowd. As things have progress there is less and less of a need for E3 when targeting consumers directly and 2/3 of the rest of the reason for E3 to exist shifted off to somewhere else because of the media pivot. E3 more and more serves a purpose for no one.