Amazon devices will soon automatically share your Internet with neighbors

A local ISP finally came to my neighborhood and I was able to ditch Comcast and its joke upload speeds and data caps for a gigabit fiber connection with no data cap. I frequently exceeded Comcast's data cap.

So, even though it's only 500 MB tops I would still be upset with that counting against my data cap.

The Comcast hotspots saved my ass years back when my cable line degraded and until I could get a tech out, I was leeching internet off of a neighbors router in my apartment complex at the blazing speeds of 3mbps.  Was sure fun trying to play Borderlands online with friends on that slow as snails connection.  

5 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

A local ISP finally came to my neighborhood and I was able to ditch Comcast and its joke upload speeds and data caps for a gigabit fiber connection with no data cap. I frequently exceeded Comcast's data cap.

So, even though it's only 500 MB tops I would still be upset with that counting against my data cap.

I dream of the day I can drop Comcast.  I've been debating looking more into that T-Mobile 5g home internet as my apartment is within eyesight of a huge cell tower and I believe they have a 30 day free trial.

22 minutes ago, SoberChef said:

This sort of mesh netting, while good in theory, still seems highly suspect however. 

Its always smart to be skeptical about these things but people are freaking out about it because they think its doing something its not. Its a low powered mesh for amazon devices, you cant see it as a available spot to connect a phone or laptop to. 

41 minutes ago, SoberChef said:

Having Spectrum cable/internet is just as atrocious as it had been previously with Time Warner. This sort of mesh netting, while good in theory, still seems highly suspect however. 

Spectrum has been pretty good where I live. Certainly better than Cox back when I had that.

I'm moving in two days' time and am finally getting off Comcast (I've also had Verizon in the past) and switching to a local company, PhillyWhisper, which has no data caps and a flat rate of only $50 a month and where I'm moving I've seen 450 Mbps. I'm really looking forward to the switch.

45 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

There doesn't seem to be a Amazon Sidewalk option in the app.

1. Open the Alexa app.

2. Tap More in the lower righthand corner of the app.

3. Tap Settings.

4. Tap Account Settings.

5. Tap Amazon Sidewalk.

6. Switch Sidewalk off.

56 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

1. Open the Alexa app.

2. Tap More in the lower righthand corner of the app.

3. Tap Settings.

4. Tap Account Settings.

5. Tap Amazon Sidewalk.

6. Switch Sidewalk off.

I mean I did that and there is no Amazon sidewalk option for echo. Maybe I need to update the app.

2 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

I mean I did that and there is no Amazon sidewalk option for echo. Maybe I need to update the app.

If you are looking for individual device on/off, it doesn't exist. Sidewalk is enabled or disabled for all devices 

46 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

@SimpleG If Amazon wanted to be more user friendly, you would think all you'd have to do is say "Alexa, disable Amazon Sidewalk".  

As I said above this should be a opt in not not a opt out situation. Amazon knows that folks dont pay attention to this stuff.

6 minutes ago, stepee said:

I actually updated the app to try to opt out and it’s still not in my settings either. I’m on the exact same section with those other options but no sidewalk option.

Im on ios, idk if that app isn’t updated yet maybe.

I am on IOS as well, is there nothing between voice and workout?

1 minute ago, SimpleG said:

As I said above this should be a opt in not not a opt out situation. Amazon knows that folks dont pay attention to this stuff.

I am on IOS as well, is there nothing between voice and workout?

There is not! So weird.

Just now, SimpleG said:

Doing some digging and it seems if you dont have devices that are sidewalk capable registered to your account then the option is not there.

What amazon devices do you have?

Hm that could be it. I have a first gen amazon echo, the large one, and I think the first fire tv 4k (though that’s is going away today since my new apple 4k comes in so I can have one in both rooms!). 

1 minute ago, stepee said:

Hm that could be it. I have a first gen amazon echo, the large one, and I think the first fire tv 4k (though that’s is going away today since my new apple 4k comes in so I can have one in both rooms!). 

I dont think it covers that echo and it has nothing to do with the fire stick so its likely why it didint show up