Update: Amazon acquires MGM for $8.45 billion

55 minutes ago, silentbob said:

Turns out this overpaid purchase is for nothing but petty revenge. . . . which could be glorious. MGM also happens to own the outtake footage of Donald Trump’s The Apprentice show, where they apparently have Trump spewing just a ton of racists remarks/language and derogatory comments to woman. 

...and the revenge comes from refusing to release the footage to the applause of his adoring fans and supporters? 

Republicans are long past pretending to care racist and sexist comments are some kind of disqualifying thing. 

31 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

...and the revenge comes from refusing to release the footage to the applause of his adoring fans and supporters? 

Republicans are long past pretending to care racist and sexist comments are some kind of disqualifying thing. 

Yeah but to some of those that claim he isn’t a racist. This just might (big might) be enough to show the real Trump unedited in control of his own business, show his true white colours only persona before it was political. Apparently he calls Eric a retard A LOT in these videos too

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I can 100% assure you that “petty revenge” over the Former Imbecile-in-Chief had absolutely nothing to do with Amazon’s seeming overpayment for MGM.

That is simply not how business works.

But it is how revenge works.

When it comes to Apple, the biggest question I have is how long they will be ok with Apple TV not making money. I can imagine a possible future where Apple has spent billions on content but still never gotten mainstream traction with Apple TV, so they sell off the content and kill it. I can also imagine them running it nearly indefinitely regardless of how many people actually sign up.

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I can 100% assure you that “petty revenge” over the Former Imbecile-in-Chief had absolutely nothing to do with Amazon’s seeming overpayment for MGM.

You’re right on that business front but I think this feels like Bezos is just waving his big fat money making dick in front of Trumps face. Like a “Yeah I overpaid by Billions but I still have many more Billions I can still spend without asking for a loan from some bank.” 

3 hours ago, silentbob said:

You’re right on that business front but I think this feels like Bezos is just waving his big fat money making dick in front of Trumps face. Like a “Yeah I overpaid by Billions but I still have many more Billions I can still spend without asking for a loan from some bank.” 

I can assure you that it isn't :p

5 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

That is true, but that footage will still see the light of day within ~12 months now.

5 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Bezos buying MGM because he's a big  Stargate fan and is sick of waiting for another show to come out is a lot more plausible given that resurrecting The Expanse was a decision that came directly from Bezos.

20 minutes ago, Jason said:

Bezos buying MGM because he's a big  Stargate fan and is sick of waiting for another show to come out is a lot more plausible given that resurrecting The Expanse was a decision that came directly from Bezos.

If that was the case, he could've just acquired the IP from MGM without buying the whole damned studio!

16 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

If that was the case, he could've just acquired the IP from MGM without buying the whole damned studio!

I'm pretty sure MGM has been refusing to license the rights to the franchise to anyone despite not doing anything with it themselves, I'm thinking they may not have been willing to sell just the one IP. 

9 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

When you're flexing you don't buy just a little bit, you buy it all!

This is just like Harry Potter on his first train to Hogwarts. Ron wanted candy but has no money and so Potter whips out some gold coins and bought the whole fucking cart instead

41 minutes ago, silentbob said:

This is just like Harry Potter on his first train to Hogwarts. Ron wanted candy but has no money and so Potter whips out some gold coins and bought the whole fucking cart instead

(In a shameful nerd voice)

Harry wasn’t flexing. He had never had his own money to buy things and just inherited a fortune, and he was really excited about all of this new magical candy. 

13 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

(In a shameful nerd voice)

Harry wasn’t flexing. He had never had his own money to buy things and just inherited a fortune, and he was really excited about all of this new magical candy. 

Harry stayed at the Weasley’s rent free all the time, ate everything they put in front of him (including Ginny) and never offered to pay for the groceries.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

Harry stayed at the Weasley’s rent free all the time, ate everything they put in front of him (including Ginny) and never offered to pay for the groceries.

"Man, it sure sucks that Ron broke his wand. Oh all, off to my vault packed to the rafters with gold!'

On 5/27/2021 at 9:39 AM, Kal-El814 said:

:ohsnap:

• 9 months later...

Media consolidation is bad, but since it's happening, can they please do a proper Stargate revival instead of the weird bullshit where MGM didn't want to do anything with it but didn't want to let anyone else do anything with it just in case they ever changed their minds and decided they wanted to do something with it?

Amazon-MGM-760x380.jpg
ARSTECHNICA.COM

European Commission approved $8.5B deal and the FTC hasn't challenged it in court.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

So it’s been awhile since I paid attention to MGM. Other than Bond what major IPs does Amazon now have the catalog for?

yes I’m too lazy to Google. 

After Bond, the biggest one is likely Legally Blonde, distantly followed by stuff like Rocky/Creed, Stargate, RoboCop, and a few others.