The Official Thread of GOP Election Rigging

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

What's interesting is that people think this shit is new... They've been doing this stuf for as long as we've HAD elections.

10 minutes ago, thewhyteboar said:

I don't want to sound doom and gloom, but if Democrats lose the House in 2022 we will never have another free election ever again. 

Not doing this to call whyteboar out, but since he mentioned it, I'd like skillz's opinion on this:

I've been seeing this mindset pop up here, and I'd be lying if I weren't starting to feel that way since I'm more leaning toward this since they're so brazen about it. But I feel like people of color look at this as a continuation of policies that have occurred for centuries.

How do you view these policies? 

Question posed to @sblfilms as well.

5 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

Not doing this to call whyteboar out, but since he mentioned it, I'd like skillz's opinion on this:

I've been seeing this mindset pop up here, and I'd be lying if I weren't starting to feel that way since I'm more leaning toward this since they're so brazen about it. But I feel like people of color look at this as a continuation of policies that have occurred for centuries.

How do you view these policies? 

Question posed to @sblfilms as well.

It's just what I said in the post you quoted... this is nothing new. Marginalizing the "wrong" kinds of voters is what this country has done since the right to vote was extended to people of color and women. This is just the latest, most public version of this but this goes back to 2013 when the Supreme Court basically gutted the voting rights act and gave the States the go ahead to do whatever the hell they wanted regarding voting. I worked on a project back then that pretty much predicted that stuff like this was going to happen after the Supreme Court did what it did.

12 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

It's just what I said in the post you quoted... this is nothing new. Marginalizing the "wrong" kinds of voters is what this country has done since the right to vote was extended to people of color and women. This is just the latest, most public version of this but this goes back to 2013 when the Supreme Court basically gutted the voting rights act and gave the States the go ahead to do whatever the hell they wanted regarding voting. I worked on a project back then that pretty much predicted that stuff like this was going to happen after the Supreme Court did what it did.

So for you, it’s not the death of democracy; it’s the same crap that people are finally noticing.

6 hours ago, thewhyteboar said:

I don't want to sound doom and gloom, but if Democrats lose the House in 2022 we will never have another free election ever again. 

well you arent wrong.  they will probably lose both and will never certify unless its for gop

25 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

So for you, it’s not the death of democracy; it’s the same crap that people are finally noticing.

Pretty much... it's much more brazen and out in the open than it has been in awhile, but not much different than what they've been doing for decades. This is the danger of people not knowing history... they used to make black people guess how many Jelly beans were in a jar and if they "guessed wrong" they weren't able to vote. All kinds of stupid shit like that. Republicans will argue that sense they aren't doing things like that, then it isn't voter discrimination. The same way they will argue that the only racism is people in white hoods calling black people n****r. 

I think the biggest difference nowadays is because of Gerrymandering, there is little political consequence for bat shit insane politicians these days especially on the state and local level. I DO think that the Republicans are running out of tricks and they are closer to fully embracing facism than they've ever been because they are finally saying the quiet part out loud.

It's been posted elsewhere that voter suppression laws don't seem to have as much of an impact as people might suspect, and people are correct in that these are nothing new.

However, I think that at some point we'll hit critical mass. Like with a lot of things, i suspect it's difficult to appreciate that the camel's back is close to breaking until that last straw does the trick.

I don't know that "we're doomed" and I suspect that some of these efforts are going to have an impact on Republican votes as well. Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut I wouldn't bet my life on either one of those takes and I think there's an extent to which the whole affair is evidence that the state of American politics in general is pretty bad. We're not going to age out of the problem, we're not going to "demographics" our way out of this problem.

It's really bad that a lot of these bad faith efforts aren't even being disguised as anything other than what they are. It's really bad that one party is essentially an opposition party whose main goals are the promotion of white supremacy and the consolidation of wealth. 

8 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

It's been posted elsewhere that voter suppression laws don't seem to have as much of an impact as people might suspect, and people are correct in that these are nothing new.

Might be worth examine why this is; it animates democratic voters and democratic aligned groups that have to put in the otherwise completely unnecessary work so that the people targeted can overcome these barriers in order to be able to vote

6 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Might be worth examine why this is; it animates democratic voters and democratic aligned groups that have to put in the otherwise completely unnecessary work so that the people targeted can overcome these barriers in order to be able to vote

Yeah, which is why I am concerned about eventually reaching a point where either the effort isn't worth it or the control of counting renders the efforts pointless... or some combo platter I suppose.

9 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Yeah, which is why I am concerned about eventually reaching a point where either the effort isn't worth it or the control of counting renders the efforts pointless... or some combo platter I suppose.

That's kind of the thing, right? What does that breaking point look like? Nobody knows the answer until we're there. Then, once we're there, oh well hindsight is 20/20. That's why any efforts to restrict voting, even if all evidence says it most likely won't make much of a difference, should be taken seriously.

Curb mail in voting, fuck with mail delivery, and restrict voting hours and early voting. Cool. Those are all being done. How about "cutting costs" by decreasing polling locations to one per city or town? Republicans already heading down that road? Cool. That's going to be awesome combined with fewer voting hours and restrictions on mail in and early voting.

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

Every restriction is going to have a marginal effect. It's hard to believe you don't lose ANYONE from these restrictions. Look at how razor-thin a lot of our elections are. Do enough restrictions and those margins are going to add up eventually.

Plus eventually you're going to run out of voters to animate via them getting pissed off about the restrictions to offset the ones who were successfully suppressed.

3000.jpeg
APNEWS.COM

JACKSON, Miss. (AP) — Mississippi will remain in the minority of states without a medical marijuana program after the state Supreme Court on Friday overturned an initiative that voters approved last fall — a decision that also limits other citizen-led efforts to put issues on the statewide ballot.

• Guillotine 1

2 hours ago, Jason said:
3000.jpeg
APNEWS.COM

JACKSON, Miss. (AP) — Mississippi will remain in the minority of states without a medical marijuana program after the state Supreme Court on Friday overturned an initiative that voters approved last fall — a decision that also limits other citizen-led efforts to put issues on the...

The legal reasoning is the literal letter of the law which in my mind is a deathblow to textualism (not that legal reasoning should be relegated to trivialities like textualism, or originalism, or whatever; it's just a power play)

• 2 weeks later...
ap21150671621716_wide-4e64106c2a45b6b01f
WWW.NPR.ORG

The revolt torpedoed the measure which would have reduced polling hours, empowered poll watchers and scaled back ways to vote in Texas, which already has some of the nation's strictest voting laws.

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

Log in to Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family and people you know.

Above is fb live taken yesterday in front of reporters

E2sOMj-WYAAOsuH?format=jpg&name=large

The media pretends that Republicans and Democrats are the same with just like, a different opinion on what % the estate tax should be, or how high capital gains tax should be. But they ain't the same. The Republicans do not give a tinker's damn about the Constitution or any of our laws. They just want power and will do anything to gain it and hold it. 

2 hours ago, SaysWho? said:
ap21150671621716_wide-4e64106c2a45b6b01f
WWW.NPR.ORG

The revolt torpedoed the measure which would have reduced polling hours, empowered poll watchers and scaled back ways to vote in Texas, which already has some of...

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

Log in to Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family and people you know.

Above is fb live taken yesterday in front of reporters

E2sOMj-WYAAOsuH?format=jpg&name=large

So how long until you the Texas GOP changes the rule on what constitutes a quorum.