Afghanistan Update: Islamic State claims responsibility for multiple bombings over last two days, including two Shia mosques

2 hours ago, Air_Delivery said:

Didn't they just estimate they would take Kabul within 30-90 days? What happened to that?

Brought to you by the people who said:

"The war is turning a corner."

"All we need is six more months to achieve stabilization."

"The Taliban are spent as a political and military force."

Genuine question for people who know/give a shit about American military history more than myself which is damn near anyone.  What was the last time the US had a genuinely successful military campaign?  I feel like my entire life has been spent being told we have the greatest and biggest military the world has ever seen, meanwhile I can’t remember an unambiguous military victory in that entire time and I was born after Vietnam.

14 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

Genuine question for people who know/give a shit about American military history more than myself which is damn near anyone.  What was the last time the US had a genuinely successful military campaign?  I feel like my entire life has been spent being told we have the greatest and biggest military the world has ever seen, meanwhile I can’t remember an unambiguous military victory in that entire time and I was born after Vietnam.

Does Gulf War I count?

13 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

Military victory isn't the US' problem, its the afterwards that we fuck up horribly.

Just now, LazyPiranha said:

That’s what I mean, I don’t know enough of the history of the thing since I was 7 at the time to know if that actually counts as a victory or just a prelude to worse nonsense.

Gulf war 1 was probably the only time we had someone ask the question, "what do we do afterwards?" before we did it, lol.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to America's defeat in Afghanistan is complete as Taliban enter Kabul without resistance

I don't even know that the withdrawal is where we failed, if the country we're leaving just folds like a house of cards the minute it's left on its own. The fact that for the last 20 years we couldn't help them establish a functional government seems like the most striking failure.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Reputator said:

I don't even know that the withdrawal is where we failed, if the country we're leaving just folds like a house of cards the minute it's left on its own. The fact that for the last 20 years we couldn't help them establish a functional government seems like the most striking failure.

The failure began the day Washington made the decision to invade Iraq and treat Afghanistan as a sideshow.

33 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The failure began the day Washington made the decision to invade Iraq and treat Afghanistan as a sideshow.

What about when the Taliban tried to offer us OBL and Rummy refused it? I mean it's all part of the same continuum of "right after 9/11 we were gonna do Iraq no matter what" 

Iraq isn't without it's own problems, but it's pretty amazing to see the difference between these two countries.  I would never have predicted back in 2005, that by 2021 Iraq would be semi-stable and the Afghanistan government crumble within weeks of the US leaving. I guess oil helps?

This is an absolutely magnificent example of "spin":

US Secretary of State Anthony Blinken says the US is moving its embassy compound to Kabul airport.

He told ABC News: "It's why we had forces on hand - to make sure we could do this in a safe and orderly fashion. The compound itself, folks are leaving there and going to the airport."

He added that the embassy has lists of people to get out of harm's way and is doubling down on efforts to do so.

He also denied any comparisons of the current situation to the 1975 fall of Saigon, in Vietnam, and insisted that the Afghan mission had been "successful"

"This is not Saigon," he said.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

Speaking of Iran, remember when they went from giving support to telling us to fuck ourselves when Bush went up there and called them part of the axis of evil. 

Oh God, yes.  

Tehran was more than happy to provide intelligence support when we first went in to Afghanistan in 2001 because they and the Taliban nearly came to blows on a number of occasions.