Россия invades Україна | UPDATE (03 May 2024) - Drones now kill more soldiers than artillery or bullets

3 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

"Declaration of war against the whole of Europe."

Very strong words from Zelensky.  It won't, but maybe it should, be a casus belli for neighboring NATO nations to intervene, at least in/around Chernobyl. 

I'm generally deferential to Ze, but this one's a bit much on the rhetoric. 

Just now, Comet said:

I wonder if purposefully dislodging the nuclear waste there could give a sense of nuclear fallout without needing to drop a nuke. But that’s the dumbest idea I’ve heard of.

I doubt they have that as an objective. Probably just there because it's an unexpected path of advance and having CBRN defense allows you to fight and move through that area.

3 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

With the way that Ukraine's population has become more and more anti-Russian over the last twenty years though...does Russia not expect popular uprisings against stooge governments in the future? Or are they I guess just prepared to help the new government massively crack down in horrible ways?

I'm sure Russia doesn't care which way they crack down. 

4 minutes ago, Comet said:

Repeating a lot of what has already been said:

Yeah...while Russia is vastly more powerful than Ukraine, this isn't USA vs Iraq. Nor is Ukraine currently ruled by a dictator hated by many in his own country. The Ukrainian people have basically solidified a national identity over the last 30 years, and while they aren't anywhere near as strong as Russia, the power differential is perhaps not as large as Putin thought. I mean, it all depends on Russia goals, as well. If they wanted to just flatten Ukraine as they rolled in then nothing could stop them. If they are intent on holding some of the country after (and doing this with as little damage as possible) then it's going to be much harder. Also, Putin might imagine that Ukrainian resistance fades when Kyiv falls, but I am not so sure. Perhaps in some areas. But west of the Dnieper?