Россия invades Україна | UPDATE (14 May 2024) - Russia launches new invasion from the north into Kharkiv, soon to launch second corridor into Sumy. Situation is dire

1 minute ago, osxmatt said:

I’m decidedly out of my element on these matters, but are ‘strong’ sanctions really enough to deter Putin from continuing in to parts of Eastern Europe after he takes Ukraine?

Do you mean the non-NATO parts of Eastern Europe?

The sanctions aren't necessarily about pressuring him - they're about putting the squeeze on the Russian economic elite who support him.

I’m decidedly out of my element on these matters, but are ‘strong’ sanctions really enough to deter Putin from continuing in to parts of Eastern Europe after he takes Ukraine?

For starters Russia can only project significant force so far from home. Only the US is really capable of projecting significant force anywhere in the entire world. 

2 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

The NATO alliance's mutual defense pact is the deterrence that keeps Russia out of the other countries in Europe. 

1 minute ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Do you mean the non-NATO parts of Eastern Europe?

The sanctions aren't necessarily about pressuring him - they're about putting the squeeze on the Russian economic elite who support him.

Both. He sounded pretty intent on moving in the Baltics and rebuilding the Russian empire.

Both. He sounded pretty intent on moving in the Baltics and rebuilding the Russian empire.

Invading the Baltics would likely trigger WWIII.  Putin's only other opportunity for expansion is probably Moldova.  Even Finland, which is not a NATO member, would be a redline for the Western military powers. 

The world would have been so much Better under Trump. This wouldn't be happening today if he was in office. I mean sure he'd work to weaken NATO to the point that Russia could just do what they want without no real opposition in the region, and in the end they would end up being more likely to succeed in taking over sovereign nations...but gas would be cheaper and stuff. 

• True 1

Apparently the Russian tanks may have been destroyed by NLAWs, not Javelins. I didn't know those had been sold/given to Ukraine. Those are even better than Javelins for urban warfare and tough terrain.

EDIT - Better because a single person can use it, it is much lighter, costs less, and still performs the same function (hits tank from above). Downside is the shorter range (only 500-600m).

Just now, CitizenVectron said:

Apparently the Russian tanks may have been destroyed by NLAWs, not Javelins. I didn't know those had been sold/given to Ukraine. Those are even better than Javelins for urban warfare and tough terrain.

That pic only shows a BMP 1 I want to say by the turret. Russian tanks are covered in ERA so while the Javelins will be great they will be less effective because of that.

2 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

An estimated 2,000 NLAW units were supplied to Ukraine by the United Kingdom 

• Thanks 1