Россия invades Україна | UPDATE (30 May 2024) - Biden gives Ukraine permission to strike some targets inside Russia with American weapons

Ukraine has done a masterful job of information warfare targeting the west. All these images of Zelenskyy and the people of Ukraine standing up to Russia are certainly intended for the local population as well, but we shouldn't underestimate their effect on rallying the people in western nations to Ukraine's cause, which has the secondary effect of pushing western leaders to do more:

• True 1
  • Ukraine 1

1 minute ago, CitizenVectron said:

Ukraine has done a masterful job of information warfare targeting the west. All these images of Zelenskyy and the people of Ukraine standing up to Russia are certainly intended for the local population as well, but we shouldn't underestimate their effect on rallying the people in western nations to Ukraine's cause, which has the secondary effect of pushing western leaders to do more:

Putin doesn't allow anyone near him does he? Gonna be hard to stab unless it's a guard that does it. 

39 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

How the hell does this keep happening?!??!

I have zero knowledge on the topic, what do those things have on them to prevent some schmuck from just hopping in and using it, I'm assuming there has to be some sort of safety system or interlock or something, no?

Just now, LazyPiranha said:

I have zero knowledge on the topic, what do those things have on them to prevent some schmuck from just hopping in and using it, I'm assuming there has to be some sort of safety system or interlock or something, no?

Well normally they're just not loaded, but seeing they're in a war and likely loaded probably nothing, short of them ripping hte fire controls out of it when they leave the tank.

13 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Maybe the Ukrainian army can just march out of Kyiv and get that whole 65km column to surrender their tanks in exchange for food

But it's not like it's Private Sergei's job to crunch the numbers on how much fucking gas they need.

I am dying to know if they got some wider plan here or if their logistics really are just this Dr. Evilian level of incompetent.....

Just now, Chairslinger said:

How are their logistics this bad? 

But it's not like it's Private Sergei's job to crunch the numbers on how much fucking gas they need.

I am dying to know if they got some wider plan here or if their logistics really are just this Dr. Evilian level of incompetent.....

It probably boils down to thinking they could rush the cities and take them with little resistance, once the vehicles were there they could probably go days just idling, and the refuel trucks would show up before then, but they didn't make it to the cities and were driving around fighting all the time and the towns and shit they bypassed were now destroying their resupply trucks cause they had no defenders.

7 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

They each have a breathalyzer built into them to make sure that it's being handled by a Russian. If there's no stench of vodka, then the weapon won't fire.

• Haha 8

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

If the thumbnail doesn't show, it's a man filming from a window in Borodyanka when a Russian tank fires at him

I've really been trying to resist but...this is absolutely the most Slav reaction of all time. He even sounds only vaguely annoyed, like he's about to call his babushka and mildly complain about this personal disrespect. 

35 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

Yeah, I've been wondering all along if it's possible this 'incompetence' we're seeing is partially intentional, and Russia's holding back for some strategic reason.  Neither scenario--that it's partly a deliberate strategy or that the Russian forces really are this bad--seems out of the realm of possibility to me at this point.

4 minutes ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

Yeah, I've been wondering all along if it's possible this 'incompetence' we're seeing is partially intentional, and Russia's holding back for some strategic reason.  Neither scenario--that it's partly a deliberate strategy or that the Russian forces really are this bad--seems out of the realm of possibility to me at this point.

It's the Eastern European version of a hick tossing an old mattress in someone's yard in the middle of the night to dispose of it.  Only it's a country parking all their junk military hardware in another country and then skipping out.

7 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Remember the joke about painting tunnels onto walls to trick Russian tank drivers? Don't even need that:

This kind of shit makes me wonder what actual battlefields in the past looked like. Wars were fought back then by a bunch of undertrained kids as well so I'm thinking there was a lot of nonsense like this happening everywhere.

17 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

This kind of shit makes me wonder what actual battlefields in the past looked like. Wars were fought back then by a bunch of undertrained kids as well so I'm thinking there was a lot of nonsense like this happening everywhere.

There isn't a doubt in my mind that the Greatest Generation really benefits from everyone not having an HD camera in their pocket.

• True 2

5 minutes ago, Chris- said:

Eastern Orthodoxy is weird. 

I worked briefly at a paint stores about 10 years ago and became good friends with one of the workers. She got married about 6-7 years ago in a Ukrainian church. (Husband is Ukrainian) Beautiful building and artwork, but even she said afterwards the ceremony was weird to her. It was different in some ways compare to Catholic Church ceremonies we have been too

6 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

There isn't a doubt in my mind that the Greatest Generation really benefits from everyone not having an HD camera in their pocket.

Honestly this is showing me how war seems to generally just be a sloppy and stupid mess. The amount of Zero Dark Thirty elite holy shitness is very limited.