PS3, PSP, and Vita stores are closing. Sony finally closing the book on its failures.

Brian

I know they ended buying from mobile and Internet shops, and you could only through the Playstation store on the console itself a while ago. So I won't be able to even buy and download PS3 games from my PS3 anymore? That's annoying. There's a few PS3 games I never got around to, and if they are no longer able to just buy and download, and they're hard to find physical copies for, I and other people who want to buy old games are going to be frustrated. 

2 hours ago, Brick said:

I know they ended buying from mobile and Internet shops, and you could only through the Playstation store on the console itself a while ago. So I won't be able to even buy and download PS3 games from my PS3 anymore? That's annoying. There's a few PS3 games I never got around to, and if they are no longer able to just buy and download, and they're hard to find physical copies for, I and other people who want to buy old games are going to be frustrated. 

And don't forget that unlike the PSP and PSVita, the PS3 (along with the OG Xbox and the Xbox 360) cannot be emulated on PC yet. However, once it can be, then I think it's far less of a big deal.

37 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

And don't forget that unlike the PSP and PSVita, the PS3 (along with the OG Xbox and the Xbox 360) cannot be emulated on PC yet. However, once it can be, then I think it's far less of a big deal.

I think we went down this road before and established that PS3 emulation has come a long way.

22 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I think we went down this road before and established that PS3 emulation has come a long way.

Not really, from my understanding. It's coming along, but you can't play most games emulated better than if you just played it in a PS3 to completion without issue was my last understanding. And the case for OG Xbox and Xbox 360 still remains.

4 hours ago, Rodimus said:

I’m going to need a bigger hard drive to download all my ps3 purchases 

A few years back I put a 750GB HDD into mine so I could download all my PS+ games(something like 250 games) onto it without having to worry about swapping games to manage space.

But my super slim is going on a decade old now, so the clock is ticking on that content I guess. Such a bummer that Sony isn't keeping that gen of content alive like MS does....

4 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

Huh. Y'know...I think this is the first time I've ever seen or heard anyone say this. 

I'm not arguing anything, just interesting to see anyone just lay it out like that. 

I don’t believe you frankly. You’ve been around people who think the Wii U was awesome and I’m sure didn’t bat an eye.

• Haha 1

The latter half of the PS3's lifecycle churned out a number of fantastic games that finally took advantage of the unique hardware architecture of the PS3 which really elevated the system in the back half of its life. It's reputation is marred by its initial price point when it was released, a weak first half of its lifecycle where it saw itself having lesser ports of multiplatform games compared to the Xbox 360 when it should have technically been the more powerful system, that it was extremely difficult to develop for due to the "emotion engine" architecture, and all the fuckery with the PS2 emulation (starting out as hardware backwards compatible with nearly every game, then only software backwards compatible with far fewer games, and then disappearing altogether). 

• Like 1

The PS3 was the least interesting Sony's ever been for me.  But that's also a statement about the rest of that industry at the time too.  What I remember most fondly are the multiplatform games that leaned into AAA-itis in a good way, like Bioshock, Tomb Raider, and Arkham Asylum.  There's also contemporary Wii games like Xenoblade, Prime 3 and Galaxy 2 that stand out on their own merits.

I still haven't played Last of Us.  I want to fix that over summer maybe.  Puppeteer also looks up my alley, though I've heard people have mixed thoughts on it.  It's way more appealing than me ever trying a Resistance or Killzone game though, especially in 2021.  I hope Sony never goes back to thinking they need a Halo-killer again. 

I do worry somewhat about what closing Japan Studio means for their overall direction.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

The latter half of the PS3's lifecycle churned out a number of fantastic games that finally took advantage of the unique hardware architecture of the PS3 which really elevated the system in the back half of its life. It's reputation is marred by its initial price point when it was released, a weak first half of its lifecycle where it saw itself having lesser ports of multiplatform games compared to the Xbox 360 when it should have technically been the more powerful system, that it was extremely difficult to develop for due to the "emotion engine" architecture, and all the fuckery with the PS2 emulation (starting out as hardware backwards compatible with nearly every game, then only software backwards compatible with far fewer games, and then disappearing altogether). 

Emotion engine was PS2 I believe. PS3 was the dreaded “cell,” lol. 

In a vacuum the PS3 by the end of its lifespan had a fantastic library and devs like Naught Dog tapped into the supposed power of the cell. 

In context, I can see how people would classify it as a failure even though it ended up outselling the 360. They actively fucked up their momentum following the PS2 it near unbelievable ways - as you referenced the ridiculous launch prices (and attitude that came with it “you’ll get another job to buy it”), the convoluted cell processor that especially multi platform devs wanted no part of, their shitty (albeit free) online, their dismissal of rumble (and again stupid arrogance about it). 

It’s frankly fascinating how bad they fucked it up as well as how closely Xbox mirrored those same mistakes and arrogance the following generation. I think had social media been more prominent back then, the response would have made the XB1 debacles look like child’s play. I’m not sure if younger people realize how dominant the PS2 was in its generation? 

All that said it was my console of choice outside of multiplayer games and the not insignificant number of multiplatform games that just ran like shit on the PS3.

And I’ll always have fond memories of PS3 fanboys hyping games like heavenly sword, that dragon game that sucked ass, and any number of drawn out developed PS3 games that turned out to be mediocre at best. 

51 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

And I’ll always have fond memories of PS3 fanboys hyping games like heavenly sword, that dragon game that sucked ass...

To be fair, Ninja Theory has really come into their own since.  And there was reason to be hyped about Lair considering Factor 5's pedigree.  We lost them to a dunce project.  Same happened to Free Radical with Haze.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Paperclyp said:

Lol wow I didn’t know you felt that way.

Oh really? I thought I had been pretty vocal about how terrible I felt the Wii U was over the years. Maybe it was drowned out by how much praise I gave the 3DS, LOL. 

But yeah, the PS3 ended up being fine, but in the early years it was kind rough. Hyped up games like the ones you mentioned, plus stuff like White Knight Chronicles, Lair, and Haze all ended up being pretty disappointing and put the system in a bad light. 

12 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

The PS3 was the least interesting Sony's ever been for me.  But that's also a statement about the rest of that industry at the time too.  What I remember most fondly are the multiplatform games that leaned into AAA-itis in a good way, like Bioshock, Tomb Raider, and Arkham Asylum.  There's also contemporary Wii games like Xenoblade, Prime 3 and Galaxy 2 that stand out on their own merits.

I still haven't played Last of Us.  I want to fix that over summer maybe.  Puppeteer also looks up my alley, though I've heard people have mixed thoughts on it.  It's way more appealing than me ever trying a Resistance or Killzone game though, especially in 2021.  I hope Sony never goes back to thinking they need a Halo-killer again. 

I do worry somewhat about what closing Japan Studio means for their overall direction.

You haven't played The Last of Us? Oh man, do yourself a favour and pick up the Remastered edition for PS4. Runs like a dream, comes with the DLC, and the multiplayer is fun to boot.

17 hours ago, Chairslinger said:

A few years back I put a 750GB HDD into mine so I could download all my PS+ games(something like 250 games) onto it without having to worry about swapping games to manage space.

But my super slim is going on a decade old now, so the clock is ticking on that content I guess. Such a bummer that Sony isn't keeping that gen of content alive like MS does....

I have a 750gb had in my ps3 from 2012. Still been full. I need a bigger drive.

1 hour ago, Brick said:

You haven't played The Last of Us? Oh man, do yourself a favour and pick up the Remastered edition for PS4. Runs like a dream, comes with the DLC, and the multiplayer is fun to boot.

I've already got it.  Just a matter of the backlog.  I'd like to wrap up a few other Sony games I've started first (God of War, Uncharted 4).

15 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

If we get @SaysWho? in here you might see at least two people say this :o

gdamn right

I had a little interest the first few years for the PlayStation 3, but there truly were some good games those first few years, and there was a plethora of quality starting around 2009.

5 hours ago, GameDadGrant said:

Oh really? I thought I had been pretty vocal about how terrible I felt the Wii U was over the years. Maybe it was drowned out by how much praise I gave the 3DS, LOL. 

But yeah, the PS3 ended up being fine, but in the early years it was kind rough. Hyped up games like the ones you mentioned, plus stuff like White Knight Chronicles, Lair, and Haze all ended up being pretty disappointing and put the system in a bad light. 

Nah even I agree with that. I remember that first year being filled with games that didn’t deliver, or at least didn’t reach their potential until another installment. Lair especially as far as something disappointing goes.

Stuff like Ratchet always delivered, But I just remember so many series stalling at first or taking a long time to release or disappointing. There’s definitely good stuff but if you had a 360 or Wii or Wii60, you were just fine up until 2008.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

Am I wrong in believing there's an at least mostly functional 360 emulator out? I've been referred to it a couple times when talking to people about playing Lost Odyssey

It's functional but Lost Odyssey is not one of the games it works with. It's not a large library unfortunately regardless of which 360 emulator you go with, and even the games that work can be wonky or you can't play them to completion. Same with PS3 - the main emulator RPCS3 works with something like 1,000 out of 3,500 PS3 games, but most are buggy, or barely work in general, or you can't play them to completion (no, Demon's Souls doesn't work yet, though they are working on it).