PS3, PSP, and Vita stores are closing. Sony finally closing the book on its failures.

Brian

Sony should make PS3 titles downloadable onto PS4 and/or PS5. I guess there would need to be some heavy work in order to make those games run or emulate on the newer hardware (I think it was in part because of the Cell processor that didn't allow backwards compatibility with the PS4), but still leaving that era of games behind when there's no reliable way to buy them is just a shitty situation. Like I said there are PS3 games I was always interested in playing that either can't be downloaded from the store, or are hard to find a physical copy, even used, at a reasonable price. 

Dante's Inferno - always wanted to try it out, even if reviews are mixed. Wanted to see how it was for myself, even if given Visceral's history a survival horror adventure through the nine circles of Hell would have been a better idea than a God of War action rip off. 

Resistance trilogy - going grim dark and mature might not have been the best route for Insomniac, but I'm still interested in seeing how their crazy weapon ideas translated to a more realistic tone. I do hear the third game is solid though. 

Killzone trilogy - again maybe not the best trilogy, but one I always wanted to see for myself. Shooting what are basically Nazis in the future? Sure. 

Again not the best of the best games out there, and that is probably why I didn't get around to them right away, but always games that I thought I'd give a shot if I could get them for cheap. Unless I find them used at an EB Games, or eBay there isn't a way to get them. Now just imagine this scenario with games that are supposed to be super good, but never got a PS4 remaster. Sony needs to protect and preserve their history somehow, not just go, "eh they're old games, who cares? Look at this shiny new one!" 

FYI this is now official and sony is sending out emails over it. Yet something incorrectly assumed is you will still be able to download your purchases after the stores shutdown, you just won't be able to make new purchases for the three stores after they close. This is pretty much akin to when the DSi & Wii eShops closed. 

Personally I think it sucks and sony should have done more to not do this, I know it's happening for technical internal reasons but still. Hell I just bought some DLC on my JPN Vita account last week. Oh well, when companies do this I feel it's more and more recommended for people to just simply hack their systems going forward, luckily this is a pretty easy thing to do on PSP and Vita, I think ps3 isn't too complicated as well but I haven't looked into it. 

• 3 weeks later...

Great news. Makes me a lot happier than I was last night. I got really pissed off with PSN and not being able to sign into my account on my PC to setup a device password to get on to the PSN Store on my Vita TV. The site kept demanding I verify my email that it never sent, on an account I've had for ages with 2fa, and when I clicked a button to do later my account would get stuck with giving an error message. It would then continue to give me the error message when I tried to log back in regardless of what computer/browser I used. I was beyond pisseed wasting 30m on this when I wanted to go pick up some PSP games on my account. =/ Luckily I tried again this morning and everything was back to normal, so I guess they were maybe doing something with the servers last night.

9 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

And it only took millions of outspoken people to tell them not to do it!

I mean.... this kind of goes into the no shit category. MS backtracked on the Xbox Gold increase due to backlash.

Hopefully this shows them that if the games are available to purchase on current gen consoles, there's plenty of money to be made, sales and all. Better BC for PS5 (loving the PS4 BC) would be unbeatable. 

17 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

And it only took millions of outspoken people to tell them not to do it!

A small part of me does see Sony’s side of it, because the reaction in a way is overblown to what will actually happen now, which is most of the people who acted like it was an absolute outrage will continue to not buy a game on the service the rest of their lives. 

Which, listen I get it I get it I get it. It’s not about profitably or even sustaining a service for the people who will actually continue to use it. It’s more about instilling faith going forward that our digital libraries aren’t coming from some hose that can be turned off whenever Sony decides to do so (though that still absolutely is the case lol). 

But at the same time I can see some Sony exec looking at the combined sales of the vita and PS3 store for the end of 2021 and - I mean honestly what do you think it could possibly even amount to - a few thousand dollars? And that exec just has to be like, are you fucking kidding me??? 

• 5 months later...

As you’ve recently enjoyed playing on PlayStation®3 or PlayStation®Vita, we want to let you know about some changes to the way you buy digital PS3™ and PS Vita content.

These changes have been introduced to enhance online payment security for all PS3 and PS Vita owners.

What’s changed?
Starting October 27th, 2021, you can no longer use a credit or debit card, or a payment method such as PayPal, to buy digital content or add funds to your wallet when visiting PlayStation™Store on your PS3 or PS Vita.

How do you purchase digital content now?
Should you wish to buy digital content for your PS3 or PS Vita, you must first add sufficient funds to your wallet. You can add funds by redeeming a PlayStation Store gift card via your PS3 or PS Vita, or by using a credit or debit card, PayPal or other available payment method using a desktop or mobile device, or a PS4 or a PS5 console.

To add funds to your wallet using a credit card or debit card, PayPal or other available payment method:

1) Access PS Store via your desktop computer, mobile device, PS4 or PS5 console.
2) Use a credit or debit card, PayPal or other available payment method to add the minimum amount required to your wallet to cover the cost of the content you want to buy. You can also add funds to your wallet by redeeming a PlayStation Store gift card.

Is there any other way to buy digital PS3 or PS Vita content?
No, you can only buy digital PS3 and PS Vita content by adding funds to your wallet as described above, then accessing PS Store directly from your PS3 or PS Vita.

Oddly enough, when I was concerned the store was shutting down for Vita, I had troubles using my credit card or paypal then and had to go on my PC to load up my account with enough credits to buy what I was after (the missing Persona PSP game I didn't have).

Sony needs to work with 3rd parties to do one last massive sale for PS3 & Vita stores. There are tons of stuff I want to buy but I'm not going to spend $40 on an old game when it's a fraction of the price on other systems or in physical form. =/